Home-Made IEMs
May 6, 2019 at 10:09 AM Post #8,899 of 15,910
I am not sure it matters, but here the polarity is as you requested:
https://crcit.net/c/c03b5701

Just to clean the last things a bit up:
So from my understand now, this is the correct way of doing it.
If we switch the resistor with the cap we will get 7dB signal loss.

10V (and up) tantalum cap will do the job.
Polarity of the cap doesn't matter soundwise but wrong polarity will decrease lifespan of the cap.
Which cap tolerance you guys are using?

Is this right?

---

Btw, did anyone notice that in the JH Audio factory video they put on the shematics for the michelle:
screen_michelle.png

May 6, 2019 at 10:37 AM Post #8,900 of 15,910
I doubt the polarity of the zobel matters, but @dhruvmeena96 says so and I didn't check.

Polarity of the cap doesn't matter soundwise but wrong polarity will decrease lifespan of the cap.
Correct.

Should do the job according to the NASA paper, but jury is still out on long term effects.

I still wire 2 caps in series with polarity reversed.

Here are unpolarized ceramic caps in values up to 100uF. Ceramics are much better than tantalums anyway.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Fre...?spm=a2g0x.10010108.1000001.12.13333069KAvHAg

I ordered those and will try them, maybe they solve all our problems.

Last edited:
May 6, 2019 at 10:41 AM Post #8,901 of 15,910
I have question for everybody

What happens if I boost a BA response below 20Hz by 40dB without distorting or any bad thing happening to driver.

It will run fine and will do full range as intended, just imagine it to do 40dB up bellow 20Hz.

If I can nail it down.....then *evil grin*

May 6, 2019 at 10:49 AM Post #8,902 of 15,910
What happens if I boost a BA response below 20Hz by 40dB without distorting or any bad thing happening to driver.

I can tell you what happens on PA system if you do that. I was producing and performing electronic music back in the days.

If you have too much inaudible frequencies everything will sound kinda weird as long as the amps can cope with it, then they shut off due to heat.

Even if you cannot hear frequencies below 20Hz music is carefully constructed to not include these frequencies to not kill the amps. So you would be fine for normal listening. If a producer would use the CIEMs on unmastered tracks and has an amp reproducing these frequencies you will probably just make them uncomfortable to wear.

May 6, 2019 at 10:52 AM Post #8,903 of 15,910
I can tell you what happens on PA system if you do that. I was producing and performing electronic music back in the days.

If you have too much inaudible frequencies everything will sound kinda weird as long as the amps can cope with it, then they shut off due to heat.

Even if you cannot hear frequencies below 20Hz music is carefully constructed to not include these frequencies to not kill the amps. So you would be fine for normal listening. If a producer would use the CIEMs on unmastered tracks and has an amp reproducing these frequencies you will probably just make them uncomfortable to wear.
OK then what about zero roll off...will that do.

No roll off.

Amps will not get effected...the boost is structural boost and not electrical

May 6, 2019 at 11:19 AM Post #8,905 of 15,910
May 7, 2019 at 3:14 AM Post #8,906 of 15,910
Just to clean the last things a bit up:
So from my understand now, this is the correct way of doing it.

Which cap tolerance you guys are using?

Is this right?

---

Btw, did anyone notice that in the JH Audio factory video they put on the shematics for the michelle:

Does anybody know what drivers are used in this setup?

May 7, 2019 at 3:48 AM Post #8,907 of 15,910
May 7, 2019 at 9:14 AM Post #8,908 of 15,910
May 7, 2019 at 10:04 AM Post #8,909 of 15,910
MASM Diagrams: @dhruvmeena96 could you please check if they are correct?

You sent an update to MASM v2 (RAB 32033), you said there should be a 3mm length 3mm ID resonator. How would it be connected, somewhere in between? Would the 2mm ID tube be shortened by 3mm? Should the resonator be before or after the damper?

https://crcit.net/c/d22dba4f

https://crcit.net/c/3972a2ff

https://crcit.net/c/68f6e7c5

Well, MASM v3 is not an upgrade, but like making the RAB add more delay to the bass line and slightly more ambience..
Its a MASM with added sound stage at the cost of slight imaging. Increase in depth and out of head experience

Initial resistance added to whole circuit is 10ohms to tighten things up

No dampers

RAB32033 -> 1.2mm ID(4mm Length from spout) -> 2mm ID(2mm Length, this is the resonator or muffler) -> 1.2mm ID(2mm Length) -> 2mm ID(8mm Length) -> towards the ear

It is used to add bass reverb and decay in the region of 80Hz and below, smooth-en up the high and adding an artificial ambience over the sound stage(Andromeda like, but the ambience here is effecting more of the lower treble or upper mids, which makes the mid sound larger like Audeze)

Last edited:
May 7, 2019 at 10:10 AM Post #8,910 of 15,910
RAB32033 -> 1.2mm ID(4mm Length from spout) -> 2mm ID(2mm Length, this is the resonator or muffler) -> 1.2mm ID(2mm Length) -> 2mm ID(6mm Length) -> towards the ear
Holy cow.
So would use one 2mmID tube of 12mm length, insert a 1.2mm ID/2mm length tube at 6mm, put a 1.2mm ID/4mm length tube at the nozzle of the driver and then put the 2mmID tube over that.

So it's like this (with a "-" being 1mm length, 1.2mm ID, and a "=" being 1mm legnth, 2mm id):

[DRIVER]----==--======

Users who are viewing this thread

Back