Home-Made IEMs
Sep 29, 2018 at 11:09 AM Post #7,711 of 15,971
42472010_10218639841846758_4361414378554130432_n.jpg
I was playing around with the idea of metal shell IEM, so got a audiologist to scan my impression and did the editing with 3D softwares and autocad. send it to shapeway to print it in steel, the result was fantastic and fit is really good. However the shell was too low as such using a conventional 2 pin or MMCX would be challenging. For the past 1 week I was busying searching for fitear faceplate, unfortunately it is not easily available. so I constructed a faceplate with surface 2 pin. will send it out for printing soon. wish me luck
42516247_10218639841046738_8752601826886418432_n.jpg
Faceplate with surface 2 pin.jpg

Last edited:
Oct 2, 2018 at 5:58 AM Post #7,713 of 15,971
Wow that looks nice! How did you get the wood to merge so well with the shell without covering it with resin?

I used a dremel with a little sanding drum wheel thingy to first flush trim the face plate to the shell. I then took a 45deg cut all round the edge until I got the face plate edge down to the shell, following which I simply smoothed the transition.

When I applied the lacquer I covered the faceplate with bluetak/prestik to stop the lacquer from getting on the face plate and for attaching the little flat grinding wheel as a handle so that I could manually slowly rotate the shell for a couple of minutes before curing.

unnamed.jpgunnamed (1).jpg

Last edited:
Oct 3, 2018 at 12:25 PM Post #7,714 of 15,971
First pair done! By no means perfect, but happy with how these turned out as my first set. I'm also quite please with the sound (GV with green and red filter). I can't believe I actually did it after stumbling onto this tread for the first time more than 2 years ago!!

They look fantastic great job, may I ask, where did you find that wood for the faceplates?

Thank you

Oct 3, 2018 at 5:00 PM Post #7,715 of 15,971
It's a stabilized composite ply wood called Dymondwood - used in turning pens, handle making for knives, pistol grips etc. I had some kicking around from an older project. I don't know whether dymondwood is available anymore but just have a look at handle material blanks on knife supply websites... you'll find something similar I'm sure.

Oct 3, 2018 at 6:06 PM Post #7,716 of 15,971
The turning speed for the rotator that is sold from Egger is ~15rpm. 5-6rpm is too slow IMO

Securing the drivers and filling the canal is done with resin yes, with a syringe. as long as you don't touch it with your fingers the fact that it is tacky shouldn't matter for you.

I’ve been using the home made ones at that speed and a bit fast for over a year with exceptional results. Honestly speaking any speed will essentially work as its allowing the Lacquer to settle.

I’ve been doing 1-2 pairs a week consistently and the idea behind my rotors is that its a DIY tool made at home that has helped me make professional grade IEM’s. The concept fits well with the DIY community!

I say invest in a motor and make one yourself. Save the money and invest it into material and or UV cute lite. IMO!

5D32A645-6E4A-4923-99C4-8EF1F2CCB0AF.jpeg

Oct 3, 2018 at 6:42 PM Post #7,717 of 15,971
I’ve been using the home made ones at that speed and a bit fast for over a year with exceptional results. Honestly speaking any speed will essentially work as its allowing the Lacquer to settle.

I’ve been doing 1-2 pairs a week consistently and the idea behind my rotors is that its a DIY tool made at home that has helped me make professional grade IEM’s. The concept fits well with the DIY community!

I say invest in a motor and make one yourself. Save the money and invest it into material and or UV cute lite. IMO!

I've found a 15rpm synchronous motor and plan to follow your tutorial, just waiting for the deliver.

Man, you have some serious skills, that IEM looks beautiful!! I hope you're still working on the tutorial, even if it's slowly, I feel that we always have something more to learn from you.

Changing the subject a bit, I'm still having trouble curing some parts like the concha and crux of helix (according to google :smile:) and getting inconsistent shells (too thick in some parts). I'm using agar-agar and already tried gelatin. I've read here that you use the hydrocolloid of lightning enterprises, is it REALLY better? Shipping is too damn expensive to my country :/

And another question, do you guys do the glycerin bath with the faceplates too? if not how do you manage the tacky layer?

Oct 3, 2018 at 6:58 PM Post #7,718 of 15,971
I was playing around with the idea of metal shell IEM, so got a audiologist to scan my impression and did the editing with 3D softwares and autocad. send it to shapeway to print it in steel, the result was fantastic and fit is really good. However the shell was too low as such using a conventional 2 pin or MMCX would be challenging. For the past 1 week I was busying searching for fitear faceplate, unfortunately it is not easily available. so I constructed a faceplate with surface 2 pin. will send it out for printing soon. wish me luck

I've been working on the idea of 3D printing as well, I'm waiting to hear back from a guy to use his scanner. I've been having a hard time finding services that will print shells in Detax (or similar medical grade materials) if you're not a high volume customer (audiologist). I'm curious to read about how using the metal sounds, & what challenges there might be in the build.

I've never seen the connectors put out on the faceplate like that, great idea.

Oct 3, 2018 at 7:18 PM Post #7,719 of 15,971
I've found a 15rpm synchronous motor and plan to follow your tutorial, just waiting for the deliver.

Man, you have some serious skills, that IEM looks beautiful!! I hope you're still working on the tutorial, even if it's slowly, I feel that we always have something more to learn from you.

Changing the subject a bit, I'm still having trouble curing some parts like the concha and crux of helix (according to google :smile:) and getting inconsistent shells (too thick in some parts). I'm using agar-agar and already tried gelatin. I've read here that you use the hydrocolloid of lightning enterprises, is it REALLY better? Shipping is too damn expensive to my country :/

And another question, do you guys do the glycerin bath with the faceplates too? if not how do you manage the tacky layer?

Krystalloid is definitely the way to go if you can’t get it, I would use gelatin. I have a couple methods I use for Faceplates and I do not use glycerin to second cure the Faceplates.

The method I do most is really simple. I use a piece of glass from a 4x6 picture frame. I pour the material on the clean piece of glass and kind of twist it until it spreads out. Remember, Fotoplast cures hard without the tacky layer where there is no oxygen present, so where the Fotoplast is touching the glass it fully cures with no issues. I use an ultraviolet flashlight to cure it, and then I will use a sharp edge to peel from the glass.

D5F38C05-4CAC-46C9-AC56-FC9A9B7D6FDB.jpeg AC74F9BC-00EA-4E31-AD17-101D9AECBC1B.jpeg

If I need the Faceplate to be thinner or really flat I pour the Fotoplast on the glass then I place another piece of glass on it the flatten it really good like this and cure with UV flashlight. The UV flashlight I use is a alldaymall wF-501B I bought the model that had a rechargeable battery. I’ve had it for years. I use this same flashlight when I fill the canals with Fotoplast using a syringe to lock in the acoustic tubing. I have since purchased a wand but find the flashlight better, maybe because of habit I have learned how to cure effectively with it.

440C0C05-751A-4ADA-AA02-BAE1A5BE813D.jpeg

0D89D5D9-EF63-4E94-B560-D0B4348F78B0.jpeg

FYI, I switched Fotoplasts several months ago and the new formula cures sooooo much better, and has almost no tacky layer. Perfect smooth shells with glycerin bath 100% of the time.

This is the Fotoplast I switched too.

765F0F87-F520-4ED4-BCFD-0E1E678A0EEA.jpeg

P.S. yes I am still working on the retro build tutorial, I got a new job 9months ago and it has really taken so much time away from me and with the word getting out and me building ears order after order I find my time being spread super thin!! It’s coming together. I am through the gelatin investments.

I hope you find value in this info!

Oct 3, 2018 at 7:24 PM Post #7,720 of 15,971
I've been working on the idea of 3D printing as well, I'm waiting to hear back from a guy to use his scanner. I've been having a hard time finding services that will print shells in Detax (or similar medical grade materials) if you're not a high volume customer (audiologist). I'm curious to read about how using the metal sounds, & what challenges there might be in the build.

I've never seen the connectors put out on the faceplate like that, great idea.

Look up on google, build 3d scanner using old Xbox Kinect from an Xbox 360. There are tutorials all over that render HD renderings from the sensor. I was getting heavily into the 3d for months researching and almost pulled the trigger but didn’t because the material costs at the time was crazy. I purchase from what was Warner techcare and they now sell the 3d medical grade material for hearing aide applications.

Oct 4, 2018 at 4:25 AM Post #7,721 of 15,971
FYI, I switched Fotoplasts several months ago and the new formula cures sooooo much better, and has almost no tacky layer. Perfect smooth shells with glycerin bath 100% of the time.

This is the Fotoplast I switched too.
Where did you buy this footplast? On official Dreve website there is still older S/IO, not SI/O lv.

Craft Ears Stay updated on Craft Ears at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/craftears https://www.instagram.com/craft.ears/ https://www.craftears.com/
Oct 4, 2018 at 5:52 AM Post #7,722 of 15,971
I was planning on building myself another rotating rig but this time one that is rechargeable. Sometimes the one I already built has the power cord pulling it a bit and it annoys me.
If anyone has a recommendation on a DC motor alternative with low voltage you are welcome to post.

btw the list of ingredients on your fotoplast looks different than the "older" non - lv ones.

fp.jpg

Oct 4, 2018 at 7:34 AM Post #7,724 of 15,971
I was planning on building myself another rotating rig but this time one that is rechargeable. Sometimes the one I already built has the power cord pulling it a bit and it annoys me.
If anyone has a recommendation on a DC motor alternative with low voltage you are welcome to post.

btw the list of ingredients on your fotoplast looks different than the "older" non - lv ones.

The formula is different, it cures more consistent, it’s clearer as well. Less tacky layer and with glycerin bath it cures like glass on the inside of the shell.

Oct 4, 2018 at 8:36 AM Post #7,725 of 15,971
I'll have to check out that new Fotoplast. Since the topic of scanning and printing came up, has anyone tried that cyclop scanner yet?

The Xbox Kinect option looks great for DIY types. I lean more towards plug and play. Just curious. It's getting closer to the point where we can get into this at home for well under a grand

Attachments

• 0531020B-25E0-48AB-8FE1-71383E1F37F4.png
    0531020B-25E0-48AB-8FE1-71383E1F37F4.png
    1 MB · Views: 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back