Home-Made IEMs
Jul 17, 2017 at 10:01 PM Post #6,676 of 15,973
Depending on the amount of drivers of course, but it would be rare to have ears that are too small or unusual in shape for ciems. Since you can build outward if necessary. The fit will not be flush but rather stick out slightly.

Jul 19, 2017 at 4:10 AM Post #6,678 of 15,973
How to smooth surface When i use the lack3 it has a lot of bubbles and not smooth. Thank you
If you have bubbles you are not doing it correctly. It requires a certain technique.
Sand the surface and do it again.
Make sure your are using a good brush, every stroke should have enough laqucer on it but not too much. You should do one smooth stroke pass and move to the next area. If you have a small bubble here and there try to remove it with the brush before it sits too long in the air. once you have lacquered the whole shell let it sits for 2-3 minutes before curing so the lacquer evens out. You could use the spinning motorized device Shiloh posted here (he posted how to diy it for a low cost). This can help spreading the lacquer while painting it before placing it for cure.

Jul 19, 2017 at 5:39 AM Post #6,679 of 15,973
How to smooth surface When i use the lack3 it has a lot of bubbles and not smooth. Thank you

Unlike the resin you make shells with, the lacquer is water (or some kind of acetone/alcohol) based and is susceptible to drying out.

Bubbles occur when the viscosity of your lacquer increases. This is due to drying out of the water content. If you are brushing over areas that have begun to dry up you will create bubbles and/or brush marks. Also, if you are storing your lacquer in a separate smaller brush bottle (such as a nail polish bottle), over time after opening the bottle many times the lacquer in the bottle will lose water content due to exposure to the air and you will find you are getting bubbles easily. Discard and replace with new lacquer will fix this.

As has been stated, a good brush is a must. Nail polish brushes are made for this.

If you do end up with some bubbles and it's too late to brush over (too far dried/hardened) without making it worse, you can carefully go over the spots with a heat gun which will get rid of them. But too much heat will cause more bubbles and cloudy finish so be careful.

Last edited:
Jul 19, 2017 at 2:35 PM Post #6,681 of 15,973
Hello friends, it's been awhile since I posted. I just got back from a week in Dallas Texas and had to make some IEM's because of my addiction to the hobby. Here are a couple builds I have done this week.

IMG_3185.JPG

IMG_3187.JPG

I'm trying the builds out with the 2-pin style connectors. I've had a few hiccups with the mmcx connectors on a couple builds where they are being used on a daily basis, they are losing connectivity. I actual like the look of the 2-pin as well and it feels much more solid.

Jul 19, 2017 at 5:12 PM Post #6,682 of 15,973
Hello friends, it's been awhile since I posted. I just got back from a week in Dallas Texas and had to make some IEM's because of my addiction to the hobby. Here are a couple builds I have done this week.

I'm trying the builds out with the 2-pin style connectors. I've had a few hiccups with the mmcx connectors on a couple builds where they are being used on a daily basis, they are losing connectivity. I actual like the look of the 2-pin as well and it feels much more solid.

How many drivers?

Jul 19, 2017 at 6:11 PM Post #6,684 of 15,973
Jul 19, 2017 at 6:18 PM Post #6,686 of 15,973
The two driver has built in crossover it is a simple GQ driver.

Yes the quad has crossover, I used the setup I've posted a few times.

Good work man! They look great!

Jul 19, 2017 at 9:45 PM Post #6,687 of 15,973

I like the purple one. Nice color.

Jul 19, 2017 at 11:35 PM Post #6,688 of 15,973
Guys, there are a lot more participants in this thread since the last time it was asked... Maybe someone here used the Nice-Fit resin and can share his experience with it?
How is the consistency, how does it cure using the regular uv lamp, how is the transparency, does it have a yellow tint, can it be compared to the Egger/Dreve stuff?

Jul 20, 2017 at 12:20 AM Post #6,689 of 15,973
Guys, there are a lot more participants in this thread since the last time it was asked... Maybe someone here used the Nice-Fit resin and can share his experience with it?
How is the consistency, how does it cure using the regular uv lamp, how is the transparency, does it have a yellow tint, can it be compared to the Egger/Dreve stuff?

All statements are made relative to Dreve Fotoplast S IO:

It is more viscous than the Dreve
I dont notice any relevant difference in curing, it produces nice shells with good even thickness.
It is a bit yellow tinted, not a perfect clear. So not ideal for clear shells.
It has a stronger and different scent
It is harder to wash off your hands

At 1/2 price of the Dreve it is good to practice with or if you are making color shells then honestly its almost the same.

Jul 20, 2017 at 3:16 AM Post #6,690 of 15,973
All statements are made relative to Dreve Fotoplast S IO:

It is more viscous than the Dreve
I dont notice any relevant difference in curing, it produces nice shells with good even thickness.
It is a bit yellow tinted, not a perfect clear. So not ideal for clear shells.
It has a stronger and different scent
It is harder to wash off your hands

At 1/2 price of the Dreve it is good to practice with or if you are making color shells then honestly its almost the same.
Thank you for your response. I personally only use Egger/Dreve stuff. Always good to know

Users who are viewing this thread

Back