Home-Made IEMs
Apr 5, 2016 at 3:04 PM Post #4,546 of 15,974
I realise this might sound like a bizarre thing to say, but have you tried using a lubricant whilst grinding? It might reduce tearing, but try it on a scrap piece of silicone first.

Peter (piotrus_g) will certainly know the answer.

Apr 5, 2016 at 3:34 PM Post #4,548 of 15,974
  you rang?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3UzpYGlxPE4

Does it need to be bulletproof?
rolleyes.gif

Apr 5, 2016 at 7:55 PM Post #4,549 of 15,974
  I've been using Clear Balistics for a few weeks and I only achieved a bubble-free negative when I put the molds in the oven at 265F for about 2 hrs.  The bubbles slowly rise and you get a crystal clear negative.  However, this means you can't use wax.  Good stuff though...

I have been using Clear Ballistics gel as well, but have had issues with bubbles forming where the gel contacts the impression. I have been melting the gel in the microwave and pouring it into a glass where the impression is suspended. It cools and hardens pretty quickly afterwards.

I will try pouring the gel in, but putting the glass in the oven right away to see if that helps with clearing the bubbles out.

Have you had any issues with the impressions melting while in sustained heat for that long?

Thanks for the tip.

Apr 5, 2016 at 8:42 PM Post #4,550 of 15,974

I have been using Clear Ballistics gel as well, but have had issues with bubbles forming where the gel contacts the impression. I have been melting the gel in the microwave and pouring it into a glass where the impression is suspended. It cools and hardens pretty quickly afterwards.

I will try pouring the gel in, but putting the glass in the oven right away to see if that helps with clearing the bubbles out.

Have you had any issues with the impressions melting while in sustained heat for that long?

Thanks for the tip.

I was worried about the impressions melting as well, but they held up fine.  I used a cupcake pan (make sure the cupcakes are out first).  Most impressions are silicone and can handle much hotter temps.  I haven't tried this yet, but people have had awesome results by making a positive out of acrylic and using it for making your negatives. 

Apr 6, 2016 at 2:49 AM Post #4,551 of 15,974
  @raptor18, I doubt if I can use a pressure pot with it. I'll use rotation casting to make hollow shells so I think it will not work out. Though, I managed to cast one without bubbles. The trick is to heat it up with blower or heat gun after mixing. 

I think I did not use 1 monomer: 2 powder. I think it is too thick, wouldn't it? wouldn't it be doughy if 1:2 is used? Also, I have bumps with the cast. Is it due to the mixing or only pressure pot can solve it? 

I honestly have not used cold cure acrylic so i have no clue. :)

Apr 6, 2016 at 10:49 AM Post #4,553 of 15,974
Hello, I have a pair of original JH13 pros and they have a driver imbalance. I was wondering what drivers I could use as a replacement with the existing crossover setup. Or if there is a superior setup I could try. Right now I think I just need to replace the "mid" driver in each ear but I'm not 100% sure it looks like a knowles DTEC is in there currently and the bass driver in there is a Sonion but I'm not sure what would be comparable or work as a drop in, right now the crossover seems to run both the mid and the bass driver at the same time, then it just crosses over to the highs. Both mid and bass drivers play at the same time but the bass driver has damping in it. I'm in the US if that makes a difference on parts that I can get.

Apr 6, 2016 at 5:02 PM Post #4,555 of 15,974
I've been working on shells for a while now and I am getting some great results.  I have an assortment of drivers, i.e. Ci, DTEC, ED, and assortments of filters.  However, I am a complete moron at tuning and since I don't have a testing rig, I just wire it all up and jam it in my ear hole.  Here is my prob: there are so many options when shopping on Mouser for resistors and capacitors.  Can one of you fine folks give me some direction on which caps and resistors to order from Mouser -- some "usual suspects" in terms of variables? 

My ears thank you...
My wife and bank account?...
Not so much!

Apr 6, 2016 at 9:43 PM Post #4,556 of 15,974
I use ballistic in a mini crock pot for an 1-2 hrs on high and poor in Pyrex cooking cup. Basically anything that can handle the temps and the size of the mold I want. The best way is to get a long wood screw and find a way to suspend in into the Pyrex cup and poor quickly while hot. A quick poor keeps the bubbles out.

The next trick is removal. With ballistic its easy since it can handle the peel from the negative. Slow pulls help get the impression out. Good thing with ballistic is it's clear and you can reuse it if you mess up with a tear.

Apr 9, 2016 at 1:30 AM Post #4,558 of 15,974
I got some Sonion 26-e25 drivers which have a 2mm wide port. I bought some 1.6mm pipe and fits nice and tight just with the pressure. However the sound filter is 2mm wide too and sonion recommend to put it about 1/3 deep in the lenght of the pipe. Do you guys have any advice about how to push it through the pipe without breaking it?

My other options would be to use 2mm pipe, which could work fine but I guess I'd have to see if it changes the sound signature and I'll have to glue it to the driver. I could also put the 2mm filter just at the end of the pipe rather than pushed at third way through.
And should I put a dirt filter at the end of my pipe in addition? If so, which material would do the trick?

I also see that there was discussion about using pipe as a horn form 1.5mm to 2.5 in the precedent page. So would it be better to put a lenght of 1.6mm pipe and then a lenght of 2mm? And does PVC tubing does the trick or teflon really has some advantages?

Thank you if you have any advice.

Apr 9, 2016 at 4:56 AM Post #4,559 of 15,974
Hey guys! I'm getting into the IEM building and was thinking about a possibility of hybrid build. The question is what are good dynamic drivers to use and are they sold for example on Digikey, I can't find much info if any on dynamic drivers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back