Home-Made IEMs
Jan 24, 2014 at 3:24 PM Post #1,591 of 15,974
Uff... I went through the entire thread. Interesting. I will search for more information on particular topics on the web.

However, one questions still bothers me - I understand that one BA may be lounder from another BA in the bass region, that one may balance the sound between woofer and tweeter if there is a diference in loudness, but how one can change the way a given woofer/tweeter sounds like i.e. how come one IEM has a tight and punchy bass with quick attack and the second has a slow, dynamic like bass? Can this sound characteristics of a woofer be changed? Or simply one has to take proper BA which means that altough one BA has similar graph in bass region in comparison to other BA they can have far way diferent type of bass?
Can someone please explain this to me?

Change parameters and  see how changed I recommend changing by filter position ,most effective one.

Jan 25, 2014 at 2:29 AM Post #1,592 of 15,974
Basically my question is connected with one of the first steps which one need to take while developing his own CIEMs I.e. Driver selection. If the quality (not quantity) of for example bass can be changed by filter placement, tube lenght and diameter then it does not matter which driver for bass is selected provided that in terms of quantity of bass a given driver is sufficient.

Jan 25, 2014 at 6:35 AM Post #1,593 of 15,974
Basically my question is connected with one of the first steps which one need to take while developing his own CIEMs I.e. Driver selection. If the quality (not quantity) of for example bass can be changed by filter placement, tube lenght and diameter then it does not matter which driver for bass is selected provided that in terms of quantity of bass a given driver is sufficient.

Actually Bass cannot change due to filter placement (unless you put like 3x4700 Ohm in the tube) or tube length unless you're willing to put few meters of tube in the IEM lol.
There's no simple answer to this question. Each driver provides different bass response due to different diaphragm and motors. It's best to learn what to expect from which driver. F.e. CI driver will have full bodied bass offering nice rumble but slightly shifted to mid bass, 3800 driver will have extremely low bass giving "speaker-like" sensation (with open vents). 33A007 will offer nice trade off between depth, resolution and extension. I'm talking about drivers as they are, of course this may be changed with proper crossover design, say with driver in reversed phase that will level bass response of particular driver.

Jan 26, 2014 at 3:31 AM Post #1,594 of 15,974
Piotrek, this is the answer which I was looking for. Thanks. So, although you can alter bass response of a given driven by crossover, acoustic design, in order to achieve certain type of bass (eg full bodied instead of fast,Etys like) one have to listen to certain group of drivers in order to hear how particular drivers sounds like or alternatively one may rely on the descriptions such as Peter's above description.
Piotrek, is there anywhere a summary how basically given drivers sounds like (I'm looking for information simillar to the ones which you provided in your above post about bass)?

Jan 26, 2014 at 5:39 AM Post #1,595 of 15,974
Piotrek, this is the answer which I was looking for. Thanks. So, although you can alter bass response of a given driven by crossover, acoustic design, in order to achieve certain type of bass (eg full bodied instead of fast,Etys like) one have to listen to certain group of drivers in order to hear how particular drivers sounds like or alternatively one may rely on the descriptions such as Peter's above description.
Piotrek, is there anywhere a summary how basically given drivers sounds like (I'm looking for information similar to the ones which you provided in your above post about bass)?

You know... you could have called me :wink:
hahah

Anyways, yeah, that's basically it. Although it's easier to make sloppy bass fast (closing vents, adding resistance) than other way around.

I'm pretty sure, there was some information in this particular thread how each driver sounds without heavy tuning, though if you said you'd gone thought it then I guess I'm wrong.

Jan 26, 2014 at 1:31 PM Post #1,596 of 15,974
You can also go through the chart in this thread and then find how each IEM sounds.Though you wont know how they are tuned through crossover and dampers but you can get rough understanding.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/604851/chart-balanced-armature-based-in-ear-monitors-technical-characteristics/75#post_9859498

Jan 27, 2014 at 3:19 AM Post #1,597 of 15,974
Peter I know that I could have call you, but I know that you are busy nowadays and I was thinking that this information would be helpful also for others.

There are no information about some of the drivers in this thread but there is no comprehsensive description of all or the majority of Sonion's and Knowles' drivers (at leats similar to what you have written above).

P.s. Piotrek, but I will definitely ask some questions in the above respect once we meet.

Jan 29, 2014 at 1:24 AM Post #1,598 of 15,974
can someone post the steps to make a hard acrylic shell?

Jan 29, 2014 at 9:49 AM Post #1,599 of 15,974
  can someone post the steps to make a hard acrylic shell?

Well, just to offer you a grounding in the topic, here are some videos on how they're done commercially, but there are some other ways to accomplish it, if you don't have the same resources - others who have actually gone down that road will be better able to advise you.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/578855/things-to-consider-before-getting-your-custom-iem-impressions-done-the-perfect-fit#post_7871678

Jan 29, 2014 at 12:43 PM Post #1,600 of 15,974
I am having a hard time finding where to get the right type of acrylic resin for the shell, I know that there is polyester resin available for decent prices but it isn't the right type as it smells and can cause allergic reactions, and i believe the same is true with epoxy resin.

I believe medical grade acrylic resin is the ideal material, but where can it be found? Is that even the right stuff?

Jan 29, 2014 at 2:10 PM Post #1,601 of 15,974
I am having a hard time finding where to get the right type of acrylic resin for the shell, I know that there is polyester resin available for decent prices but it isn't the right type as it smells and can cause allergic reactions, and i believe the same is true with epoxy resin.

I believe medical grade acrylic resin is the ideal material, but where can it be found? Is that even the right stuff?

Yes, you're absolutely correct that you mustn't use most generally-available polyester or epoxy resins. I have experience of both, from other hobbies of mine, but I don't have experience of medical grade resins, so others here are better able to give you appropriate recommendations. If you search through this thread, I know, for a fact, that you'll find past discussions on this issue.

Feb 20, 2014 at 7:33 AM Post #1,605 of 15,974
. I'm talking about drivers as they are, of course this may be changed with proper crossover design, say with driver in reversed phase that will level bass response of particular driver.

As I understand from your post tube diameter and lenght and filter placement cannot shape bass characteristics of a given driven. Now you are saying that proper crossover design may alter bass of a given drivers. Are you referring just to the FR response i.e. increasing or decreasing particular region of Hz, or are you referring to altering "bass character" of a given driver i.e. full body, slow vs tight, ultra fast etc.? If the latter then I'm a little bit surprised since I thought that that the typical electrical crossover is just a bunch of caps and/or resistors which may impact FR response but not the character of a particular HZ region.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back