Home-Made IEMs
Jul 28, 2022 at 1:03 AM Post #14,177 of 15,973
Finally I can fill the dip in 5kHz. The modi that I have made is re-adjusting the tubing length in the ratio of, bass=1 / mid=1.2 / high=2 , this ratio formula is previously posted by dhruvmeena96 in this thread. Further more, I have used bigger value of cap for 31736 replacing 0.33uf. The dip in 5kHz looks better now.
Snap1.pngSnap4.png

My hybrid config is low: tusq DD 10mm x1/ low_mid: sonion 37ap015 x1 / mid_high: sonion 2389 x1/ high: knowles 31736 x1
The FR looks close to VE8, VE8 consists of low: sonion 38am x1 / low_mid: sonion 37ap015 x1 / mid and high: knowles 32254 x2

Snap3.png
How did you measure the decay?

Also. Is it possible to view it as a function of cycles rather than ms?

Jul 28, 2022 at 4:40 AM Post #14,178 of 15,973
How did you measure the decay?

Also. Is it possible to view it as a function of cycles rather than ms?
Sorry for my late reply. I measure with the iec711 artifical ear. I have bought 2 sets from the same seller in Taobao, the 1st one I bought while measure the FR is not too stable and I guess it is damaged then I bought another one, but finally find out is the connection cable problems. 2 of them are now working fine after changing the cable. The seller come along with the Readme file for setup Arta and steps on calibrate the iec711. The seller also provided a FR Compensation file for Arta. I just followed the config in the readme file, I can't remember the setup in Arta, right now I'm still in the office.
I haven't used that feature as you mentioned, ..... function of cycles. I check if the readme cover that topic or not. I can't answer you now and my progress is very slow, everydays after office almost mid-night then I have time to do my trial and test.

Snap9.png

Jul 29, 2022 at 5:53 AM Post #14,179 of 15,973
Hi everybody,

Soon I want to build my first DIY CIEM.
I think I am well prepared after reading through this very interesting thread.

For the beginning I want to start with the GK-31732-000 armature (with red and green damper) and I wonder if this is still a good BA in 2022?
I come from a Shure Se215.. Will I notice a big upgrade soundwise?
Would anyone recommend another driver?

Greets,
Matthias

Last edited:
Jul 30, 2022 at 6:54 PM Post #14,181 of 15,973
Hi everybody,

Soon I want to build my first DIY CIEM.
I think I am well prepared after reading through this very interesting thread.

For the beginning I want to start with the GK-31732-000 armature (with red and green damper) and I wonder if this is still a good BA in 2022?
I come from a Shure Se215.. Will I notice a big upgrade soundwise?
Would anyone recommend another driver?

Greets,
Matthias
A sonion build of 3300 plus a 2389 is also VERY good.

Aug 1, 2022 at 5:22 AM Post #14,182 of 15,973
Thanks for the info. This was my first approach but I'd had trouble keeping the inside of the shell blemish free (even without supports inside the shell) so started trying the other way up (easier to sand the outside). I've always struggled to sand the insides but have ordered some sanding cones now, which I hope will help. I think I may have also been getting tiny bits of uncured resin attaching itself to the inside, so I may need to be more thorough with the pre-cure cleaning. Hopefully get a chance to experiment again soon. Dipping (or spraying) rather than brushing sounds very tempting too, but I don't have much lack 3 and that stuff is expensive so not sure if I'll be trying that. Cheers

Aug 1, 2022 at 6:50 AM Post #14,185 of 15,973
To sand the inside of the shell, I use this tool for Dremel, I can’t remember what it’s called. C is like a split arrow for sticking pieces of paper

Never sanded the inside of a shell. Why would one sand the inside? I do drill them for sockets and tubes but never sanded them.

Also, those are called split mandrel. Figured it would be easier for folks here to find it if I mention it :)

Aug 1, 2022 at 7:47 AM Post #14,186 of 15,973
Never sanded the inside of a shell. Why would one sand the inside? I do drill them for sockets and tubes but never sanded them.

On clear resin 3D shells and contrary to the traditional method, if you want to have a smooth rendering, you have to sand the inside of the shells to have a better hanging of the varnish during soaking.

The 3 D shell looks smooth and very precise but it’s still a layer overlay and we don’t have as smooth a rendering as the traditional shell interior.
3D rendering is matte due to layer overlay that gives a stair surface appearance of some micron
Aldo

Last edited:
Aug 3, 2022 at 8:14 AM Post #14,188 of 15,973
Another stupid question here.

Regarding the path of CR High Pass Filter for the hi freq driver. The cap is connected to the positive and the resistor is connected to both positive amd negative port on the deiver. Is it correct to follow or just connect both of the cap and resistor on the positive port is ok?

As far as I know, connect only the cap can cut of low frequency. What is the resistor reacts? To low down the volume of that ba?

Aug 3, 2022 at 1:59 PM Post #14,189 of 15,973
Another stupid question here.

Regarding the path of CR High Pass Filter for the hi freq driver. The cap is connected to the positive and the resistor is connected to both positive amd negative port on the deiver. Is it correct to follow or just connect both of the cap and resistor on the positive port is ok?

As far as I know, connect only the cap can cut of low frequency. What is the resistor reacts? To low down the volume of that ba?
a traditional buttersworth crossover will cause a electrical phase shift. Majority of us will use capacitors and resistors in series with driver. Not parallel. So, the signal chain would look like:
+ ——— Resistor —— (C) —- driver

one caveat, L-pads and Zobel networks feature components wired parallel to the driver. However, they will not induce an electrical phase shift as long as they are properly calculated.

Aug 3, 2022 at 7:01 PM Post #14,190 of 15,973
On 3D printing with clear resin, to have a look like glass you had to sanded and varnish all the inner and outer hulls, you can dip the hulls directly into the varnish and then do the UV treatment.

For the orientation of the shell in shitubox or lychee, I put the nozzle up straight and I mount the 8mm piece and I apply the automatic support, and I remove the internal support and I print.
Each resin has its own properties so you have to adjust its settings by doing tests.
And you’re right, 3D printing isn’t as simple as it sounds:wink:
The most difficult is to print the clear hulls not tinted.
Sorry, how do you do the UV treatment?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back