Home-Made IEMs
Mar 25, 2019 at 8:50 AM Post #8,476 of 15,973
Has anyone tried Bellsing drivers? They are named the same as Knowles, must be close copies. But cost is two or more times less. Are they worth my time?
They are good. IMHO their TWFK and CI is as good as Knowles. Their HODVTEC is not as good as Knowles. They have slightly different characteristics though, you should not treat them as 100% identical plug-in replacements.

Mar 25, 2019 at 8:56 AM Post #8,477 of 15,973
They are good. IMHO their TWFK and CI is as good as Knowles. Their HODVTEC is not as good as Knowles. They have slightly different characteristics though, you should not treat them as 100% identical plug-in replacements.
Thanks! I might give Bellsing's CI a try, looking to build 2xCI + TWFK.

Mar 25, 2019 at 9:24 AM Post #8,478 of 15,973
What C and R will you be using with RAB32033? RAB32033 in addition to or instead of RAB32257?

Cz=4uF(quad parallel 1uF)
Rz=42ohms

Has anyone tried Bellsing drivers? They are named the same as Knowles, must be close copies. But cost is two or more times less. Are they worth my time?

ED
TWFK
CI

These drivers get pretty close to Knowles

WBFK
SWFK

Somewhat near to Knowles treble, slightly brittle

Mar 25, 2019 at 1:44 PM Post #8,479 of 15,973
So managed to get my hands on some 14mm planar magnetic drivers. The frequency response is provided by the manufacturer. I tested the impedance of the driver too.

Not sure how to use the driver properly due to that massive dip after 2kHz though.

Stuck just the driver near my ear for a quick listen and the mid range is rather clear, which is a good start.

Edit: Ouch, just noticed its -5db at 20kHz!

Planar Magnetic Driver.JPG Planar Magnetic Driver Frequency Response.jpg Planar Magnetic Driver Impedance.png

Last edited:
Mar 25, 2019 at 1:55 PM Post #8,480 of 15,973
So managed to get my hands on some 14mm planar magnetic drivers. The frequency response is provided by the manufacturer. I tested the impedance of the driver too.

Not sure how to use the driver properly due to that massive dip after 2kHz though.

Stuck just the driver near my ear for a quick listen and the mid range is rather clear, which is a good start.

Well you can modify the driver backwave material, front meat material, can make a edge diffraction correction.

Best part is electrical things will remain the same.

First thing, it has to be open back
Second thing, movement of air has to be controlled both side
Third thing, movement of front air has to be captured completely.

i dont think they are on headfi, but they can help you tune planars

one is joppe peelen
second one is Marcus christensen

Joppe makes planar speakers
Marcus makes planar headphone and iem

Mar 25, 2019 at 2:59 PM Post #8,481 of 15,973

Out of curiosity, how does one go about obtaining such drivers? It could be fun trying to use those for my next DIY IEM project.

Mar 25, 2019 at 9:07 PM Post #8,483 of 15,973
Out of curiosity, how does one go about obtaining such drivers? It could be fun trying to use those for my next DIY IEM project.

I got them from Toneking directly on Taobao for around US$75. He doesn't list them but I spoke to the seller and they were willing to offer their IEM's drivers separately.

Mar 26, 2019 at 2:41 AM Post #8,484 of 15,973
I got them from Toneking directly on Taobao for around US$75. He doesn't list them but I spoke to the seller and they were willing to offer their IEM's drivers separately.
That's amazing, he sold it directly to you

And the price is cool if it is 75$ a pair.

I have tried toneking bl1, amazing soundstage but three weird vents,will make it worse in future(moisture, dust).

Mar 26, 2019 at 3:06 AM Post #8,485 of 15,973
That's amazing, he sold it directly to you

And the price is cool if it is 75$ a pair.

I have tried toneking bl1, amazing soundstage but three weird vents,will make it worse in future(moisture, dust).

Toneking told me he preferred the front sealed and the back open - guess he wanted it really open so he opened 3 vents. He also suggested I use a dynamic driver for the bass frequencies as he also things the bass drops off quite fast.

Mar 26, 2019 at 11:50 AM Post #8,487 of 15,973
Potentially very good. Potentially very bad. More likely to sound good. What filters, tubing, and dampers are you planning to use? See my point? I don't have suggestions for you there, simply pointing out that it's more than JUST the drivers.

Mar 26, 2019 at 1:52 PM Post #8,488 of 15,973
Toneking told me he preferred the front sealed and the back open - guess he wanted it really open so he opened 3 vents. He also suggested I use a dynamic driver for the bass frequencies as he also things the bass drops off quite fast.
Front sealed.....why will you do that
Where will you get sound from

Well the bass drops as the driver is very small in effective area.

Mar 26, 2019 at 4:04 PM Post #8,489 of 15,973
I know this probably isn't recommended but has anyone tried using one of those UV-Resins for printing? Like the Wanhao UV-Resin? 500ml is like 40$ and if you use Lacquer over it, maybe you wont get poisoning? Could be a cheap method to try some new stuff if you don't plan on wearing them hours everyday?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back