Home-Made IEMs
Oct 25, 2017 at 5:14 AM Post #7,066 of 15,973
What do you guys think? Do you want any particular color or faceplate material?

Give me some ideas as to what you want me to do and what you want to see.

Hi Shilohsjustice! I'm really appreciate your input to this forum. It's a great amount of information that a newbie like me could learn.
Personally I'd like to see how did you do the tubing and drilling the tip holes. It seems that pro ciems doesn't have the tube (or tube crosssection after you cut it) outside the tip. I wonder how to hide the tube part at the tip.
Sorry for my English, I don't know how to explain it.

Oct 25, 2017 at 8:13 AM Post #7,067 of 15,973
1. Can you use the same little pots that are used in beauty salons (to melt the wax for hair removal) to melting the krystaloid? ie same pot as i am thinking of getting to melt the wax in

Maybe so. I guess it would depend on how well they control the temperature. The microwave works well though.

2. what quantity of krystaloid do you melt to do one pair of earpieces.

I haven't measured, but enough to come about a half inch over the impressions in the cup. I bought two pounds, and I'd say I'm maybe using a quarter of one of the one pound bags. The good news is that it's reusable, so better to use more than you need.

3. do you coat the impressions with DAP 33 glazing compound and then dip it straight into the wax bath and then put them into the krystaloid

My understanding is that it's either or, not both. I've had better success with the compound.

4. Would any of the sunlight cured UV resins be ok to practice with - see link below for example. I can't see solarex available here in large quantities. Only small quantities like 1 or 2 ounce tubes.

Worth a shot, right? My first experiments were with that Magic Glos stuff. Cures well, but yellows really bad.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/25-60-10...hash=item1a333838fb:m:m7ZEBbZ6-IC9ACyoPdVC-0Q

Oct 25, 2017 at 8:26 AM Post #7,069 of 15,973
Hi Tomekk. How did you do that art on the facepate? It's beautiful.

Hi Furco. So you made a clear shell and then cover it with the art layer later or you made the art with that method but using color resin and apply to the mold?
I made clear shells and then applied the swirl art on top. The art is micro thin and doesn’t add to the overall thickness or modify the fit. I don’t think I applied a final gloss coat to the shells. It’s been a very long time since I made those.

Oct 25, 2017 at 9:57 AM Post #7,071 of 15,973
Luxaprint, by Detax. It's their SLA print friendly resin. I don't buy it. I have the shells made, and that's what they use.

Who do you get to print them? One of the bigger printing services, or someone local?

Oct 25, 2017 at 10:32 AM Post #7,072 of 15,973
Has anyone ever try using Acrylic sheet as a faceplate? It's crsytal clear and flat. Will it work?

Edit : No. It won't work. Just found the answer out the hard way. Resin and acrylic won't stick together

Attachments

• IMG_20171025_212832.jpg
    IMG_20171025_212832.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017 at 11:04 AM Post #7,073 of 15,973
Has anyone ever try using Acrylic sheet as a faceplate? It's crsytal clear and flat. Will it work?

Edit : No. It won't work. Just found the answer out the hard way. Resin and acrylic won't stick together
Glue them with cyano, it will work.Looks for the non-bleaching cyano and do not use activator.You will encounter some problems whenpolishing and laquering, but it will work in the end.Do not use IPA on the plexiglass, it will crack.
Hope that helps.

Oct 25, 2017 at 2:57 PM Post #7,075 of 15,973
Says who? I used acrylic sheeting for these faceplates.

A2D9CFA2-9B43-4844-B904-0E3191956C78.jpeg D20AF40A-3FCE-4C64-B9CD-E5526DE4AF4B.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back