Home Headphone recommendation
Jun 6, 2013 at 10:54 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

pro1137

500+ Head-Fier
Hello Head-Fi'ers.

I'm considering looking into buying another pair of home headphones. (Currently I have Beyer DT770 Pro and Takstar Hi2050 as home headphones)

I listen to most genres of music, but primarily EDM.

I'm looking for something that's got a decent amount of bass and warmth (Nothing boomy- I hate that). I like treble that is pretty neutral, but has a little bit of sparkle to it. 
As for mids, I'm not entirely sure how I like them. I don't like the Hi2050 as much as I used to, because I find the midrange to be slightly bloated. I'm guessing I prefer my mids to be neutral.

Honestly, my main want is a large soundstage. Larger than the DT770 of course.

My source is my PC. I've currently got a JDSLabs cMoy BB V2.03 amp (for both home and portable use), and I've got a Bravo Audio Bravo Ocean coming in the mail sometime soon.

I've considered these mainly. They don't need to be open backed, but I would probably prefer it due to soundstaging.
My current budget is around $250-350, but I'm fine with anyone recommending something more expensive.

HD598
HD600
MA900
AD-900

However I'm also considering just scrapping the idea and saving up for an HE-500 instead.

What do you guys think? Other suggestions?

Jun 7, 2013 at 10:38 AM Post #3 of 11
Have you considered the DT880s? Not warm headphones, but definitely a bigger soundstage than the DT770s. More neutral than the DT770s, but they do have that good bass extension. Check out this review in the battle of the flagship's thread where they scored an A+ for price/performance: http://www.head-fi.org/t/634201/battle-of-the-flagships-58-headphones-compared-update-audeze-lcd-2-revision-2-6-4-13#user_DT880.

Jun 7, 2013 at 11:01 AM Post #4 of 11
Quote:
Have you considered the DT880s? Not warm headphones, but definitely a bigger soundstage than the DT770s. More neutral than the DT770s, but they do have that good bass extension. Check out this review in the battle of the flagship's thread where they scored an A+ for price/performance: http://www.head-fi.org/t/634201/battle-of-the-flagships-58-headphones-compared-update-audeze-lcd-2-revision-2-6-4-13#user_DT880.

I would probably like the DT990 more than the DT880. My Takstar Hi2050 is very similar to the 880 in sound signature, but less refined. It's considered to be the 'baby DT880'

Jun 7, 2013 at 11:11 AM Post #5 of 11
Im a noob, but i LOVE my 990 dt pro 250ohms.  $169 at BH photo last time i checked.  My friend has T1's and he was really impressed with the 990 pros.  he said it reminded him a lot of his T1s. 

Jun 7, 2013 at 11:14 AM Post #6 of 11
The DT990 Pros are also $166 on Amazon. Given the great price right now, that might be the upgrade for you if you think you'd like that sound signature.

Jun 7, 2013 at 11:38 AM Post #7 of 11
Quote:
The DT990 Pros are also $166 on Amazon. Given the great price right now, that might be the upgrade for you if you think you'd like that sound signature.

I don't necessarily think it would be an 'upgrade', so to say, but an alternative to my 770. 
Like I said though, I'm more than willing to save for something else. I've had my eye on the T70 for a while now, but I honestly have no idea what they sound like.

Jun 7, 2013 at 11:52 AM Post #9 of 11
I don't necessarily think it would be an 'upgrade', so to say, but an alternative to my 770. 

Like I said though, I'm more than willing to save for something else. I've had my eye on the T70 for a while now, but I honestly have no idea what they sound like.

I definitely think it would be an upgrade. I haven't heard the DT990s, but I thought the 880s had a more refined sound than the 770s. Then the additional sound stage of closed vs. semi open definitely made a difference, too.

Jun 7, 2013 at 1:17 PM Post #10 of 11
I'll consult MalVeauX about it, like I do for almost everything.

Like I said though, I don't like the signature of the DT880 too much. It's too analytical for my tastes. I only use my Hi2050 for mixing and mastering my music- nothing else.

I guess it's between

DT880
HD598

Or save up for

HE-400
T70

Or save even more for HE-500.

Is there anything else you could think of that fits the signature?

Jun 7, 2013 at 1:59 PM Post #11 of 11
Quote:
Hello Head-Fi'ers.

I'm considering looking into buying another pair of home headphones. (Currently I have Beyer DT770 Pro and Takstar Hi2050 as home headphones)

I listen to most genres of music, but primarily EDM.

I'm looking for something that's got a decent amount of bass and warmth (Nothing boomy- I hate that). I like treble that is pretty neutral, but has a little bit of sparkle to it. 
As for mids, I'm not entirely sure how I like them. I don't like the Hi2050 as much as I used to, because I find the midrange to be slightly bloated. I'm guessing I prefer my mids to be neutral.

Honestly, my main want is a large soundstage. Larger than the DT770 of course.

My source is my PC. I've currently got a JDSLabs cMoy BB V2.03 amp (for both home and portable use), and I've got a Bravo Audio Bravo Ocean coming in the mail sometime soon.

I've considered these mainly. They don't need to be open backed, but I would probably prefer it due to soundstaging.
My current budget is around $250-350, but I'm fine with anyone recommending something more expensive.

HD598
HD600
MA900
AD-900

However I'm also considering just scrapping the idea and saving up for an HE-500 instead.

What do you guys think? Other suggestions?

I like the group of cans you've picked and you can't really go wrong with any of them except maybe the AD900 (which I love, but I don't think is what you're looking for). The HD 600 is tried and true. It's one of those headphones everyone knows, is referenced quite frequently for comparisons, and should be a stop everyone makes on their journey.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back