HOLY SMOKE! DT 770 Pro/80
Feb 24, 2006 at 9:40 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 62

luckybaer

Headphoneus Supremus
WOW. Just bought them today, and even though I am listening to them unamped on a Sony Vaio laptop... WOW! I didn't think I'd be able to appreciate them on the laptop vs. the earbuds, but... WOW!

I can't wait to try them on my PC at home with the X-Fi Xtreme Music, and I can't wait to buy a little portable amp from Z-audio!!

I drove around for 1.5 hours to two different Guitar Centers to find these babies and I am glad I did.

I am counting the minutes before I can get home and listen to some CDs, watch a movie, and play BF2 with these cans! WOW!

Thanks for all the info that I have found here, and I think I hear my wallet screaming and my bank account shrinking!

Feb 24, 2006 at 9:43 PM Post #2 of 62
Congrats, those are great headphones.

And yep, sorry for your wallet
orphsmile.gif

Feb 24, 2006 at 10:01 PM Post #3 of 62
Aren't they though!? I freaking love those things. Now, get a nice little amp... doesn't need too much power. You'll be amazed how much punchier they get, and how much the sound cleans up!

Feb 24, 2006 at 10:03 PM Post #4 of 62
Quote:

Originally Posted by luckybaer
I am listening to them unamped on a Sony Vaio laptop...

Which Vaio laptop? I'm still surprised at how much I like the VGN-T series headphone out. I have a new TX, which sounds about the same, but seems a bit more fatiguing/more digital to me.

Best,

-Jason

Feb 24, 2006 at 10:06 PM Post #5 of 62
want my cans back. *steals them back from his sister*

Feb 24, 2006 at 10:13 PM Post #6 of 62
Quote:

Originally Posted by jjcha
Which Vaio laptop? I'm still surprised at how much I like the VGN-T series headphone out. I have a new TX, which sounds about the same, but seems a bit more fatiguing/more digital to me.

Best,

-Jason

PCG-Z1VAP
It is about 2.5 years old. It still does the job quite well, though.

Feb 25, 2006 at 2:24 AM Post #7 of 62
I'm on a quest to find a headphone for stationary listening. I keep hearing about these headphones. This thread has taken my interest!
biggrin.gif
I guess I'll have to read some reviews.

Question: Are these headphones good for a first time Hi-Fi headphone? Can they be called Hi-Fi?

The price is just so appealing!

Feb 25, 2006 at 2:27 AM Post #8 of 62
These are the same as the Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro right? How many DT 770 models are there?
confused.gif

Feb 25, 2006 at 2:28 AM Post #9 of 62
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lsportline43
I'm on a quest to find a headphone for stationary listening. I keep hearing about these headphones. This thread has taken my interest!
biggrin.gif
I guess I'll have to read some reviews.

Question: Are these headphones good for a first time Hi-Fi headphone? Can they be called Hi-Fi?

The price is just so appealing!

I can't think of a better first Hi-Fi full sized can. I really think that most people can enjoy the merits of these cans... though they may need burn in. They're too bassy and too muddy at first... but that cleans up SO well after about 100 hours.

They're comfortable, they're a steal at the price, and they DO sound pretty nice unamped. Fantastic amped though.

And, if you really love them... you can get them woodied to really see what they can do.

Feb 25, 2006 at 3:28 AM Post #12 of 62
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mercuttio
I can't think of a better first Hi-Fi full sized can.

That's quite a statement...

How do these compare to the likes of Sennheiser HD650, AKG K701, or Beyerdynamic DT 880. I know the price difference is pretty high, but what would I be missing if I choose the DT 770-80?

p.s. I am planning to use headphones with portable amp. Not sure which I will decide on, but the Portaphile V2^2 looks nice.

Feb 25, 2006 at 3:44 AM Post #13 of 62
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lsportline43
How do these compare to the likes of Sennheiser HD650, AKG K701, or Beyerdynamic DT 880. I know the price difference is pretty high, but what would I be missing if I choose the DT 770-80?

The 770 isn't in the same league as the HD650 or K701 (I don't have any experience with the DT 880). I find there is a huge performance improvement between a $150 can and $300 can. If you're serious about cans and want to spend good money for audiophile performance, sure, look ahead to those other cans.

But I also agree, at $150-ish it's a great value and performer, esp. if you need a closed can. I'd put the 770 with the A900 and SR-225 as great starter cans.

Best regards,

-Jason

Feb 25, 2006 at 4:19 AM Post #14 of 62
Quote:

Originally Posted by jjcha
The 770 isn't in the same league as the HD650 or K701 (I don't have any experience with the DT 880). I find there is a huge performance improvement between a $150 can and $300 can. If you're serious about cans and want to spend good money for audiophile performance, sure, look ahead to those other cans.

But I also agree, at $150-ish it's a great value and performer, esp. if you need a closed can. I'd put the 770 with the A900 and SR-225 as great starter cans.

Best regards,

-Jason

Yeah, with the choice at home, there's no way I'd use the 770 over my HD650 or MS2i, but it serves several purposes elsewhere.

Feb 25, 2006 at 4:36 AM Post #15 of 62
I bought my DT770s to listen to a little music, watch some movies, and to use while playing Battlefield 2.

I haven't watched a movie yet, but I've enjoyed listening to music and I've absolutely loved Battlefield 2.

These are my first HiFi headphones, and they are super comfortable through about 10 rounds of Battlefield 2, and 3 hours of music while working.

There may be other headphones to start out with, but these seem to be very versatile to me. And, with an earlier post saying they get better after burn-in, it looks like I'll have even something better a bit down the road!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back