Holy Grail of Hi-Fi
Sep 10, 2021 at 4:16 PM Post #136 of 200
wow - thanks for the feedback Vince, and I am eagerly awaiting for you to get your new DAP, and then plug in your Sennheiser. I assume the fuss on what cable to use for the headphone from Sennheiser does not apply, stock cable it is, right? ...cheers, Ron
I actually recommend Pure Litz Silver cables. The better the Silver Litz, the better the quality and the performances

Sep 11, 2021 at 5:24 AM Post #137 of 200
I am patiently waiting on the HD8xx's to appear on the scene with "normal" listeners NOT reviewers to see if I would spend the bucks on them. I was not a real fan of the HD800's. I had them here for a week and just thought they were too "thin" on the low end AND I had the 600's here as well...and found them to be more to my liking on the bottom end....wierd..yes I know...so settling in on the 650's even over the 600's was due to the low end with that wonderful mid section that Senn is famous for...

For $1100 at Drop these might finally compete against the Focals and ZMF's in this price range...fingers crossed.

Alexs
i have both the hd800 and hd800s. i do not know about Drop's version, though if I understand correctly, it is not identical to the aforementioned Senn versions. I'll tell you what - normally I think headphones account for biggest sonic differences and amps, if functioning properly, account for smaller differences. but in this case, I found the reverse to be true. The HD800 and HD800s were not all that different, but the amp they are paired with does make a big difference. I have tube amps that are considered some of the best for the Sennheisers, but the two amps I was most impressed with (and I do not own either of them) were the Manley Absolute (tubes) and the Flux FA-10 (solid state). these made the sennheisers competitive with the utopia and the other flagships for the precise reason you stated you are looking for.

Sep 11, 2021 at 7:47 AM Post #138 of 200
WOW! Thats a statement for the 800's either version that an amp would make these comparable to the Utopias.
I have had 30 + amps and when I had the 800's here I didnt notice much of a difference among them.

But I never have heard the Utopias, only the lesse Clear OG and MG Pro's.

Never had a Manley or Flux here in house ...some friends have the Flux you mention, most sold them ?

So this makes me want to at least listen to these versions !

Thanks!
Alex

Sep 12, 2021 at 10:42 AM Post #140 of 200
heard enough about this headphones from its measurements and from different objective reviewers, full of problem. no one likes them.
Hilarious.

Sep 12, 2021 at 11:04 AM Post #143 of 200
Subjectivity …. You get married for a reason and your spouse Ex broke up with her for a reason. That should be enough to put it :wink:

No one is right and or wrong, we are just uniquely different
You must ask yourself, did you marry your wife for her SINAD. :grin:

Sep 12, 2021 at 3:22 PM Post #146 of 200
Headphones that don't hurt, and just flat. R70x have fulfilled both of those for me. I headphone I can wear and listen for hours, neither my ears or head/neck get fatigued. And I never have to worry about some dumbass harmon tuning, V shape, forward sounding etc. I never think about sibilance, or too much mids or too much too little bass. It just is. Closest I've heard from Sennheiser so far is the HD58x, not the HD650, but the HD58x. And HD58x that was more refined with more width in sound, improved staging.
- Deeper ear cups similar to Focal, for supreme comfort
- Improved headphone pads that don't squish like the HD58x-HD660s series. Pads that are more resilient and keep their shape.

Also the holy grail of headphones should be one that is accessible. Currently it seems the HD650 is the holy grail among Sennheiser, because it is accessible to most people's preferences and monetarily. Holy grail shouldn't be a $3000 only for the few, then it wouldn't be a holy grail, it would just be the privileged.
- Holy grail should be a headphone that will last as well. I see lot of people come and go with the HD800 and it's iterations. But people keep returning to the HD650/HD600. They go buy their $5000, but inevitably go back to their true love. That is the holy grail, the headphone users realize at the end of their journey realize, you know what I actually like? It's the HD600, that's the one I want to reach for time and again.
- Holy grail is the headphone that doesn't market to the FOTM, it's the one that survives all the fads. The one that doesn't need to change to keep with the current trends.

But if you could make a R70x with say hmm... more detail, that would be the holy grail for me.

Last edited:
Sep 12, 2021 at 5:00 PM Post #147 of 200
There is something special with the HD650's....really decent....
The only issue is the clamping force....make it just a nicer fit on your head...yeah its the small things...
After days of listening with those $4299 D8000 Pros, I just put on the HD650's plugged into a B-stock Magni 3 (the OC not the 3+) and with the iFI Pro DSD MB dac.
Its really an awesome listen.

Very very nice!

Great listening does not have to cost mega-bucks....the Pro DSD amp is pricey but a $250 Schiit Modi MB would basically be almost as good.

Last edited:
Sep 13, 2021 at 10:57 AM Post #148 of 200
The only issue is the clamping force....make it just a nicer fit on your head...yeah its the small things...
By now everyone should know the easy fix for that issue. It takes 2 minutes to bend the steelspring part of the headband outwards to lessen the clamp force. Ok Sennheiser could just do that before shipping, but obviously lots of customers never complained.

Sep 13, 2021 at 11:14 AM Post #149 of 200
My HD 650's have a metal band thats enclosed in a plastic outer housing...I would be very hesitant in bending this plastic housing with the metal band inside of it...my worry is any damage with the assembly.....

Sep 13, 2021 at 11:39 AM Post #150 of 200
My HD 650's have a metal band thats enclosed in a plastic outer housing...I would be very hesitant in bending this plastic housing with the metal band inside of it...my worry is any damage with the assembly.....
I have done it several times on HD650 and on my HD660S. If you extend the headband to it max extension and then only put stress on the spring metal with both of your thumbs, you will not damage any plastic. The best thing is it can be reverted if you overdo it. Or if you later want to sell the headphone. Been there, done that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back