Holy Grail of Hi-Fi
Sep 3, 2021 at 10:07 PM Post #17 of 200
Sep 3, 2021 at 10:42 PM Post #20 of 200
I don't think, it makes much sense to talk about a dream headphone without the perfect amp and dac to complement it. So far, after listening to my other headphones (I don't have a stellar arsenal by any means), I always feel like coming back to the HD800, and now with the Loki equalizer, its quite satisfying in the bass department. I also like the sound of Chord DACs. So, my dream system will be the HD800 with a good tube amp such as the DNA Stratus and a higher end Chord DAC like the Hugo2 and may be with the Mscaler thrown in (now we are talking thousands of $$ :wink:).

Sep 3, 2021 at 11:27 PM Post #21 of 200
Dynamics of Utopia
Imaging of the Snorry NM-1
Bass of the Kennerton Odin MK 2
Mids of the ZMF Verite
Stage of the Hifiman HE1000SE (when driven correctly)
Highs of the Utopia

Sep 3, 2021 at 11:32 PM Post #22 of 200
Good tonality is an EQ away for me, and I prefer portability, so I'm happy to say that I own my endgame headphones: the LCD-i4 as my open-back of choice and the Aeon 2 Noire as my closed-back of choice.. Currently trying to find a sufficiently powerful source for them on the cheap. Not sure if the Xduoo XD-05 BAL is enough but we'll see. Might go for an ifi Sig or Diablo but the lack of line-in is annoying on both, to say the least. And the Black Label sounding too thick isn't promising, either :/.

EDIT (10 Sept 2021): Waiting for the DX300 to come in. Gonna go big.

EDIT (17 Sept 2021): Only source changes I wanna make now are new iBasso amp cards for the DX300.

Last edited:
Sep 4, 2021 at 1:53 AM Post #24 of 200
HD 820 + Hugo 2 is the most ideal sound I've heard to date. Yes, I have the Utopia and love it for its technicalities. But there's something special about mixing the 820 and Hugo 2 qualities.

Sep 4, 2021 at 6:01 AM Post #26 of 200
People will laugh at me for this, but Koss Porta Pro (w/built in mic) and Yaxi pads is the most used hp in my collection. I could easily call them a holy grail, but only because of their value/versatility for the money.

Even with multiple ZMFs, T50 mods and IEMs..I come back to Portas for most of my listening time.

They are easily powered from my phone, are great as a gaming headset and their sound with yaxi pads is fairly neutral and well balanced.

Its hard to believe they have existed since 1984.

Sep 4, 2021 at 6:14 AM Post #28 of 200
Perfection is the conceptual line between object and subjective evaluation of our inner brain processing of audio analog wave through ears as transmitted device.
It is kind of believes varied among peoples by different context, musical experience, perception ability, interpretation level.

My setup have achieved high level of completeness, extraordinary tone/timber perception, complex musical envelopes of music as well as note structure and fluent ensemble of small, large, grand group of orchestra.

Last but not least, this device help me to improve my listening ability and how my musical perception evolve, that is very curial because our brain always learn and upgrade itself. The journey is still keep going, might be some day I will have HE1, have things that surpass HE1, who know>?

1630750151400.png

Last edited:
Sep 4, 2021 at 6:16 AM Post #29 of 200
I'm that same way with my px100-ii @Nick-s-f. They've across the world and many trips to the gym and never failed or even fallen. Since getting into earbuds I use them less, but they are truly great they just can't beat the portability of buds. I wish Sennheiser would invest in bringing back their classic buds.

Sep 4, 2021 at 6:26 AM Post #30 of 200
I wish I could pick an holy grail headphone, but I've nothing that would power one properly yet. I do really like the lcdi4's so I'd love to demo the LCD-4. But I also really like the direction the empy elite is going, so that's also a very strong contender. The raal I really like the approach but not sure if the ribbon driver is my taste. That's an unheard opinion so that could change

Users who are viewing this thread

Back