Holy Grail of Hi-Fi
Sep 21, 2021 at 6:21 PM Post #152 of 200
STAX SR-X9000
CRBN
LCD-5
Empyrean ELITE
DCA Stealth
Focal Grande Utopia

So i'm guessing new Sennheiser stat reveal in Oct-Nov?
Focal Grande Utopia? What?

Sep 23, 2021 at 10:04 AM Post #153 of 200
I want audeze bass, sennheiser midrange and Hifiman treble. Is that too much to ask?

Sep 23, 2021 at 10:46 AM Post #154 of 200
Dec 24, 2021 at 7:45 PM Post #155 of 200
Just incase this thread is still being monitored, here's an idea I've had rolling around my head for a while.
Something I think would be interesting to see, would be to take the concept and sound signature of the HD700, but to build it to flagship standards.
With the idea being that you have more than one flavour at the top of the line. So rather than having it be, as it was originally, a product that was aimed to be hitting a price bracket inbetween the 600 and 800 series (and also trying to appeal to both portable and home users) make a new version to sit at the same level as the 800 series. There are plenty who like the HD800 family, but there are also plenty who desired endless revisions, which were ultimately trying to make them into something that they were never originally intended to be.
The HD700 has a unique signature among sennheiser headphones, but perhaps it was held back from critical acclaim by being designed as more of a budget offering, and put in the difficult position of trying to please too many people at the time.
Of course, I am aware of the criticisms against the HD700, as indeed there were similar criticisms against the HD800/S. However, I have always noticed a general tendancy for people to have been more forgiving of the HD800 line in that regard... they might not have been perfect for everyone, but they seemed to offer enough overall to smooth over some of those misgivings, or at least more often.
Maybe making something new, with the HD700 kind of sound signature, but scaled up to the same level as the HD800's (or whatever new flagship equivalent will eventually replace the 800 line) would be filling a gap for those who still want the big 3D soundstage and high level of detail and separation, but happen to prefer a slightly less neutral and analytical approach in their listening, and prefer a slightly more fun and engaging and bassy presentation. Putting them at the same level would better allow them to compliment each other.
I might be in the minority here, but I think an HD700 S (?) would be a wonderful addition to my sennheiser collection.

Dec 24, 2021 at 8:59 PM Post #156 of 200
Just incase this thread is still being monitored, here's an idea I've had rolling around my head for a while.
Something I think would be interesting to see, would be to take the concept and sound signature of the HD700, but to build it to flagship standards.
With the idea being that you have more than one flavour at the top of the line. So rather than having it be, as it was originally, a product that was aimed to be hitting a price bracket inbetween the 600 and 800 series (and also trying to appeal to both portable and home users) make a new version to sit at the same level as the 800 series. There are plenty who like the HD800 family, but there are also plenty who desired endless revisions, which were ultimately trying to make them into something that they were never originally intended to be.
The HD700 has a unique signature among sennheiser headphones, but perhaps it was held back from critical acclaim by being designed as more of a budget offering, and put in the difficult position of trying to please too many people at the time.
Of course, I am aware of the criticisms against the HD700, as indeed there were similar criticisms against the HD800/S. However, I have always noticed a general tendancy for people to have been more forgiving of the HD800 line in that regard... they might not have been perfect for everyone, but they seemed to offer enough overall to smooth over some of those misgivings, or at least more often.
Maybe making something new, with the HD700 kind of sound signature, but scaled up to the same level as the HD800's (or whatever new flagship equivalent will eventually replace the 800 line) would be filling a gap for those who still want the big 3D soundstage and high level of detail and separation, but happen to prefer a slightly less neutral and analytical approach in their listening, and prefer a slightly more fun and engaging and bassy presentation. Putting them at the same level would better allow them to compliment each other.
I might be in the minority here, but I think an HD700 S (?) would be a wonderful addition to my sennheiser collection.
Indeed, I alluded to something similar in my comments on the new HD8XX, and I have said almost exactly this to my wife. Like you, despite its obvious shortcomings, I have fond memories of what the HD700 did well. I was hoping that the 660S might actually be a 700S, since it uses the same basic driver, but it’s barely a sideways move from the 650 (I got rid of mine and kept the 650/600/580 which, IMO, are all as good or better than the 660S). They should have made a 300 ohm version of the HD700, with some damping like the 8XX and some tuning like the 800S, keeping the space age looks and in between price point of the 700, and the 700S could have been the best of all possible worlds winner we had all hoped for. Instead they kept the 150 ohm driver, stuck it in a cheapened, unpainted black 650 frame made in Romania, gave the 800S to Drop (!) for re-tuning and basically screwed the pooch when they had a chance at a star. A shining example of accountants running an audio company the exactly wrong way, while we fans of the brand are still left wondering when they are going to substantively improve upon their 2003 model HD650.

Last edited:
Dec 24, 2021 at 9:21 PM Post #157 of 200
Indeed, I alluded to something similar in my comments on the new HD8XX, and I have said almost exactly this to my wife. Like you, despite its obvious shortcomings, I have fond memories of what the HD700 did well. I was hoping that the 660S might actually be a 700S, since it uses the same basic driver, but it’s barely a sideways move from the 650 (I got rid of mine and kept the 650/600/580 which, IMO, are all as good or better than the 650). They should have made a 300 ohm version of the HD700, with some damping like the 8XX and some tuning like the 800S, keeping the space age looks and on between price point of the 700/800, and the 700S is the best of all possible worlds winner we had all hoped for. Instead they kept the 150 ohm driver, stuck it in a cheapened, unpainted black 650 frame made in Romania, gave the 800S to Drop (!) for re-tuning and basically screwed the pooch when they had a chance at a star. A shining example of accountants running an audio company - the exactly wrong way.
Well, I'd certainly be happy with an update to the original 700, with a 300 or even 600 ohm driver variant. Okay it wouldn't be a bigger, newer beast like in my dreams, but it would certainly still be more of a good thing!
Personally I've only had good experiences with it, but yes, I think having the extra dampening/some changes inside the housing might make it more palatable to the wider community... though from on what I have read, its supposedly also uniquely amplifier picky, so I dont know how much of the 'problem' was based on that.
Plus I imagine having had an extra decade of experience and development might help them to bring out the best in the existing design. Maybe we'd get a black version like with the 800S?
As far as the 660S goes, I cant really fault sennheiser on that move, because they can only try to appeal to the things that their customers tell them that they want. And a lot of people were asking for an updated 600/650 instead of a revised 700. And as the 600 series has probably been their biggest seller for quite a while, it made sense to do, seeing as thats what everyone was asking for.
I just wish that the discourse would have been more along the lines of "lets have this as well as" rather than "lets have this instead". Now we're in this strange situation where the 660S uses modified 700 drivers, but you cant buy the 700 anymore. And once again, they could easily have had both models available at the same price, and then given people both options.
I dont know whether they felt there was just a lack of interest in the 700 at that point, or whether its a limitation of manufacturing, and they can only make the one version of the driver, and had to choose what they thought would sell more

Nov 4, 2022 at 12:17 PM Post #158 of 200
Another "just incase" post here. Recently acquired and refurbished a pair of HD 560 Ovation II, refoamed the original earpads as closely as possible to the original. Hooked up to an hdva600 with pure silver cable, and the performance is in its own league, really surprised me.
Why this model was discontinued is a little confusing, but perhaps more modern gear is able to shine a better light on it than at the time of release?
Either way, this is very good. My previous posts and remarks in this thread still stand, but, seriously, this pair. As fussy an audiophile as I am, to be impressed and not wanting, that says something.
If an Ovation III could be made, perhaps using the HD700/660 driver as a base (or dare I hope for its own, unique flagship level driver?) and given a premium body to reside in (i.e. NOT the current 500 series, nor the 600 series if it could be avoided) I think this could be something special indeed.

Last edited:
Nov 4, 2022 at 12:46 PM Post #159 of 200
Another "just incase" post here. Recently acquired and refurbished a pair of HD 560 Ovation II, refoamed the original earpads as closely as possible to the original. Hooked up to an hdva600 with pure silver cable, and the performance is in its own league, really surprised me.
Why this model was discontinued is a little confusing, but perhaps more modern gear is able to shine a better light on it than at the time of release?
Either way, this is very good. My previous posts and remarks in this thread still stand, but, seriously, this pair. As fussy an audiophile as I am, to be impressed and not wanting, that says something.
If an Ovation III could be made, perhaps using the HD700/660 driver as a base (or dare I hope for its own, unique flagship level driver?) and given a premium body to reside in (i.e. NOT the current 500 series, nor the 600 series if it could be avoided) I think this could be something special indeed.
Let's see some pics of this bad boy!

The HD 560 Ovation II was quite competent. Although I think it's polite sound signature was not as ideal of a match with the way more modern music was being mixed (more sweetening at both ends of the spectrum) as the 580/600/650 were. The "openness" of the 560 Ovation's successors were also superior and felt more immersive, for certain.

Sennheiser Stay updated on Sennheiser at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/SennheiserUSA https://twitter.com/SennheiserUSA http://www.instagram.com/sennheiser https://sennheiser.com/
Nov 4, 2022 at 1:21 PM Post #160 of 200
Let's see some pics of this bad boy!

The HD 560 Ovation II was quite competent. Although I think it's polite sound signature was not as ideal of a match with the way more modern music was being mixed (more sweetening at both ends of the spectrum) as the 580/600/650 were. The "openness" of the 560 Ovation's successors were also superior and felt more immersive, for certain.
Ask and ye shall receive!
DSC_0650_02.JPG
I've always found the 600 too rolled off on top, it rather bugs me with how dark it is, and the bass kind of gives me a headache. It's probably all about what works best for the individual, and/or the setup being used, though this seems to be balanced just right in my case. So far for me, the stand out features of the 560 II so far are a very layered sense of depth, and I dont know the technical term for it, maybe transient response...? but it is very quick to start and stop notes, which makes it much better defined in the time domain. I'd never really gotten what people meant by 'fast' before, but I reckon this is what they meant

Last edited:
Nov 4, 2022 at 2:59 PM Post #161 of 200
Well, I'd certainly be happy with an update to the original 700, with a 300 or even 600 ohm driver variant. Okay it wouldn't be a bigger, newer beast like in my dreams, but it would certainly still be more of a good thing!
Personally I've only had good experiences with it, but yes, I think having the extra dampening/some changes inside the housing might make it more palatable to the wider community... though from on what I have read, its supposedly also uniquely amplifier picky, so I dont know how much of the 'problem' was based on that.
Plus I imagine having had an extra decade of experience and development might help them to bring out the best in the existing design. Maybe we'd get a black version like with the 800S?
As far as the 660S goes, I cant really fault sennheiser on that move, because they can only try to appeal to the things that their customers tell them that they want. And a lot of people were asking for an updated 600/650 instead of a revised 700. And as the 600 series has probably been their biggest seller for quite a while, it made sense to do, seeing as thats what everyone was asking for.
I just wish that the discourse would have been more along the lines of "lets have this as well as" rather than "lets have this instead". Now we're in this strange situation where the 660S uses modified 700 drivers, but you cant buy the 700 anymore. And once again, they could easily have had both models available at the same price, and then given people both options.
I dont know whether they felt there was just a lack of interest in the 700 at that point, or whether its a limitation of manufacturing, and they can only make the one version of the driver, and had to choose what they thought would sell more
I wish senny would do another 700 series, I'd be all over that like an STD

Nov 4, 2022 at 3:05 PM Post #162 of 200
I wish senny would do another 700 series, I'd be all over that like an STD
That makes two of us. I think people underestimated the 700's ability to reveal problems in your setup, which, unless you realise that is what is going on, can easily leave someone thinking they're just not very good. So much potential there though

Nov 4, 2022 at 3:56 PM Post #163 of 200
That makes two of us. I think people underestimated the 700's ability to reveal problems in your setup, which, unless you realise that is what is going on, can easily leave someone thinking they're just not very good. So much potential there though
It's a lovet mid tie that people won't like. A shame. It's a perfect headphone. A bit plastic I agree but who cares, it sounds amazing.

Nov 5, 2022 at 6:45 AM Post #165 of 200
I’ve found the holy grail. It’s the Crosswave technology in the VZR Model One. What it does is turn headphones into a speaker experience. Words cannot do it justice. Everything else is now irrelevant.
I hadn't heard of those before, but looked them up, and yes the spatial audio stuff does look like its going to probably be quite a big thing in the industry soon

Users who are viewing this thread

Back