Holy Crap. ilounge still prefers the E500 to the UE11s
Sep 11, 2007 at 6:16 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

Mr Iriver

1000+ Head-Fier
I remember when I made a thread all mad and stuff because some shure customer support rep pissed me off. I was thinking of changing for the UE11, until I saw the ilounge review. And I also remember how I prefer the E500, or se530 to the UE10 pro. So Im just gonna trust shure has fixed the cable issue and stay with what is the best sound output device for me.

http://www.ilounge.com/index.php/ipo...-ear-monitors/

Sep 11, 2007 at 6:21 PM Post #2 of 20
i also prefered the se530 to the ue10 pro,i think the ue11 is a hard one to judge because yes its revolutionary but it seems to ilounge that the ue11 have a boosted bass output,which for some would be good and some bad,some prefer the flat ue10 sound to the ue11.

i can certainly see why ilounge prefers the se530 tho because its flatter than the ue11 but still manages the nice warmth that the ue11 seems to overboost.

for the record tho i like warm sound so i would probly love the ue11 but im yet to try them

Sep 11, 2007 at 6:25 PM Post #3 of 20
i think ofcourse price is a massive issue,and it seems the gimmick of customs with four drivers has pushed the price beyond reach especially when the increase in sound quality is very small over the se530

Sep 11, 2007 at 8:06 PM Post #4 of 20
Price tag is stunningly high given wide range of excellent triple-driver earpieces, including top performers that rival this level of sound performance at less than half the price—custom-fitting and the fourth drivers aren’t enough to justify the hefty premium.

Well that's no fair... they're actually taking cost-effectiveness and value into account...
etysmile.gif

Sep 11, 2007 at 8:12 PM Post #5 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by ILikeMusic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Price tag is stunningly high given wide range of excellent triple-driver earpieces, including top performers that rival this level of sound performance at less than half the price—custom-fitting and the fourth drivers aren’t enough to justify the hefty premium.

Well that's no fair... they're actually taking cost-effectiveness and value into account...
etysmile.gif

well no crap lol i mean its what us buyers need to know lol
eggosmile.gif

Sep 11, 2007 at 8:48 PM Post #7 of 20
UE10s and UE11s are primarily made for people who actually need top of the line audio equipment, and odds are if you need that kind of equipment, you can pay top dollar for it. So while the rest of us want top end equipment, it's harder to justify that sort of price for it.

Sep 11, 2007 at 9:00 PM Post #8 of 20
yep that sums it up pretty much but its clear that ilounge thinks the ue11 are aimed at consumers with its much warmer sound so hows that work,ill tell you how,they cocked it up lol

Sep 11, 2007 at 11:28 PM Post #9 of 20
well ilounge is making a recommendation and i would make the same recommendation as well since the UE 10 or 11 are pricier and doesn't have resell value... but back in head-fi land, the UE 10 are way better than the shure e500!

Sep 12, 2007 at 12:21 AM Post #10 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by aluren /img/forum/go_quote.gif
the UE 10 are way better than the shure e500!

Thats debateable, for those that like a bit of extra warmth the se530 are better, the simple fact is the ue10 dont extend in any range and are flat for a reason, its made to be used by musicians, i personally pick my se530 over the ue10 because i like a bit more kick in low end.

We have got to remember if the ue10 was not custom then how would it compare with the shures, i think it would be no better and maybe lack a bit of sting in the sound that the shures have, now the ue11 is a different story, it extends the highs and lows of the shures, but the debate is wether the ue11 extends them lows toooo far?? which also damages sound in comparison to shures and ue10.

Ofcourse customs are customs the ue10 will always have superior isolation and comfort but actual sound produced is very subjective an me like some others like a bit more warmth and bounce therfor choosing the se530 due to it being half the price, making it a good buy also.

For the record i do own the ue10 also and ofcourse they are my number 1 iem's but i will always pick up the shures that bit more often for short listening sessions, gotta be down to that extra low extension i love personally
basshead.gif

Sep 12, 2007 at 2:00 AM Post #11 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by aluren /img/forum/go_quote.gif
well ilounge is making a recommendation and i would make the same recommendation as well since the UE 10 or 11 are pricier and doesn't have resell value... but back in head-fi land, the UE 10 are way better than the shure e500!

There are very experienced headfiers that think otherwise.

Given the price difference, they shouldn't even be comparable. No getting around the fact that the UEs are far from a value even if they are a bit better.

Sep 12, 2007 at 2:44 AM Post #13 of 20
I think the ilounge people (and perhaps others as well) have grown so accustomed to the anemic bass provided by most IEMs that the UE11Pro just seems too bassy by comparison.

But the fact is that to my ears the UE11Pros come really close to rivalling floor speakers. And they are infinitely better than my comparably priced 8 speaker car audio system.

When you get past the philosophical arguments concerning neutral vs natural, cold vs warm,flat frequency curve vs humped, and so on -- the bottom line is that the UE11Pros are just a BLAST to listen to. So musical -- addictively so! I found it telling that the iLounge reviewer referred to the UE10 as "clinical" and yet somehow preferred it! Why would anyone prefer a clinical sound vs a more musical one, unless one thought one was "supposed to" prefer it?

I for one don't care if the bass was boosted or not. The bottom line is that the UE11Pros are clean, detailed, and yes, warm like honey. They're amazing!

Sep 12, 2007 at 2:57 AM Post #14 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by DavidMahler /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Jinx, you own a pair of UE10s but you prefer the E500?.......somehow I can't imagine that.

Why not? The E500's are great IEM's. The UE10's are great IEM's. They have different sounds -- one is not better than the other. So it is quite understandable, maybe even expected, that some people prefer the E500/SE530 over the UE10.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back