Holy crap! A900's electrocuting me!!
Mar 1, 2006 at 11:54 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

003

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Oct 4, 2005
Posts
4,688
Likes
14
When I have my A900's plugged into the X-fi drive bay or the headphone jack on my klipsch speaker box, the headphones will electrocute my ears if I move up or down! What the hell? It's not like a constant electrocution, like if you were to stick a fork in an outlet, but more like little pops, and with each pop, it sends a small jolt to my ears! What the heck is causing that? They don't do this when I have them plugged into my iPod! Can this damage the headphones and is there anything I can do to stop this crazyness?
 
Mar 2, 2006 at 1:43 AM Post #2 of 10

ManMower

New Head-Fier
Joined
Jan 5, 2006
Posts
44
Likes
0
electrocute
v 1: kill by electric shock; "She dropped the hair dryer into the
bathtub and was instantly electrocuted"
2: kill by electrocution, as in the electric chair; "The serial
killer was electrocuted" [syn: fry]


If indeed you had been electrocuted, you would not be posting here.
smily_headphones1.gif


I'm a little concerned that your setup might not be properly grounded. Are you using legit 3 prong electrical plugs for your computer?

I'd try disconnecting the klipsch stuff completely and see if that makes a difference.


Though, I suppose this could just be static electricity...
 
Mar 2, 2006 at 1:57 AM Post #3 of 10

Duggeh

Indeed
Joined
May 9, 2005
Posts
9,618
Likes
39
Some sort of static transmission, would be my guess too, you dont rub your feet on the carpet or anything do you?
 
Mar 2, 2006 at 1:57 AM Post #4 of 10

kramer5150

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Sep 20, 2004
Posts
14,427
Likes
196
Im going to guess its ESD. I used to get shocked with my V6 plugged into a rat shack extension cable from my Denon 5.1 receiver.

Double check your house ground and AC outlets. Make sure they're grounded properly.... the path of least resistance should NOT be through your head
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif


Garrett
 
Mar 2, 2006 at 2:27 AM Post #5 of 10

003

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Oct 4, 2005
Posts
4,688
Likes
14
Yes, my PC is plugged into a very good outlet strip, and that is plugged into a grounded outlet. Not only that, but I have one of the best power supply's money can buy in my PC. This is really driving me nuts here, my feet are usually propped up on the klipsch subwoofer under my desk... Oh and I have discoverd some more stuff. The static pops also occur when there is no sound playing. Also, if I pull the headphones apart, and hold them by my ears, but don't actually let them touch my head, I don't hear any pops when I move them up and down. What the heck is going on here?? They are not plugged into the klipsch speakers right now, they are plugged into the X-fi drive bay which goes directly to the sound card. Although it also happens when they are plugged into the klipsch speaker control box. But not on my Ipod or anything else that isn't hooked up to my PC.

EDIT:
these popping noises also happened on my XD400, but they did not actually shock me.
 
Mar 2, 2006 at 3:20 AM Post #6 of 10

Bill Ward

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Dec 8, 2003
Posts
1,792
Likes
12
I don't know if this applies, but in the 1st quarter of 2004 a number of threads discussed A900 owners getting zapped by static electricity. Seems to be due to the fabric covering on the cable. I've got the A900, and cold, dry winter weather seems to aggravate the problem.

Let's see. check here and here.
 
Mar 2, 2006 at 3:26 AM Post #7 of 10

003

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Oct 4, 2005
Posts
4,688
Likes
14
I thought that might be part of it, but I have found a temporary solution. The chair I have been sitting in is nylon. I covered it in a cotton towel and this seesm to have fixed it.

EDIT:
Lol, and as it turns out, the XD400s also have a cloth cable just like the A900s.
 
Mar 2, 2006 at 3:40 AM Post #8 of 10

muckluck

500+ Head-Fier
Joined
Dec 11, 2005
Posts
564
Likes
10
It's probably the dry winter air. Everything I touch in my room that isn't grounded results in a light show. Only happens during dry winter days.
 
Mar 2, 2006 at 3:42 AM Post #9 of 10

kramer5150

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Sep 20, 2004
Posts
14,427
Likes
196
Someone in another thread mentioned spraying the carpet / furnature with scotch static-guard... Might want to give it a shot.

Are you wearing a lot pf polyester fabric. I love polarfleece in the winter but dam that stuff builds up charge.

Garrett
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Top