Holo Audio Spring R2R DAC
Jan 21, 2022 at 8:45 AM Post #3,001 of 4,022
Let's say a higher end DAP is optimized for all-in-one playback whereas for a desktop setup you need to seek dedicated devices hooked together with expensive cables.
For the DAC interface you'd need a Streamer usually in a desktop setup which is managed via some remote playback interface.
If you want to keep your DAP also for flexibility, going out /,traveling using IEMs and hooking up to your stationary DAC once at home, there's nothing wrong with that.
That kinda was my plan but I'm getting a little tired of carrying my dx300 in my back pocket at work. I'm also scared of it messing up while working. I was thinking of maybe buying the cayin Ru6 r2r dongle. I don't have to have outstanding sound at work but I do enjoy having it sound really great like like dx300 provides. I figured a nice dingle would get me somewhere close. I was thinking of selling my dx300 and my ie900 iem' and put it towards buying something towards my headphones set up. If I did that I could use my phone usb with spring 3 until I get a streamer. I eventually want to get to a high end streamer that will sound best with my desktop set up.

Jan 21, 2022 at 8:48 AM Post #3,002 of 4,022
That kinda was my plan but I'm getting a little tired of carrying my dx300 in my back pocket at work. I'm also scared of it messing up while working. I was thinking of maybe buying the cayin Ru6 r2r dongle. I don't have to have outstanding sound at work but I do enjoy having it sound really great like like dx300 provides. I figured a nice dingle would get me somewhere close. I was thinking of selling my dx300 and my ie900 iem' and put it towards buying something towards my headphones set up. If I did that I could use my phone usb with spring 3 until I get a streamer. I eventually want to get to a high end streamer that will sound best with my desktop set up.
I went a similar path and practically sold all my mobile stuff in order to settle down on stationary gear - not so much traveling anymore in Corona times.
Whereas there are enough people also enjoying their IEMs even on stationary gear.

Jan 21, 2022 at 8:54 AM Post #3,003 of 4,022
I went a similar path and practically sold all my mobile stuff in order to settle down on stationary gear - not so much traveling anymore in Corona times.
Whereas there are enough people also enjoying their IEMs even on stationary gear.
Once I bought the Soloist 3xp it was over! I went from listening to my lcd x every now and again to all the time! Lol. All I heard was how easy the lcd x were to drive and how the dx300 amp 12 would be plenty. They didn't tell the whole story because a desktop Amp made a huge difference. I run machinery that makes all the boxes for chick filet, Publix, bojangles, and lots of other grocery stores and fast food restaurants so I'm usually running around stopping and starting the music so I don't have to have a dap. I think a dongle and my Mest mk2 may be what I end up with and invest that money In my headphone set up. I have a Verite Closed that should be coming to me soon too. Headphones are much more fun and engaging to listen too. I'm sold on the headphone world for sure once hearing what a headphone can actually do with a good amp!

Last edited:
Jan 21, 2022 at 9:07 AM Post #3,004 of 4,022
Very good choice.
MEST MKII is actually the IEM I am missing most for my music taste after selling it.
That's rather a taste / philosophical discussion - I was about to give up the rabbit whole after getting Traillii last year but then needed money to fund the stationary gear.
There are reasons going for IEMs and reasons going for headphones besides the driving / mobility requirements like micro vs macro dynamics and spatial presentation making one prefer one or another or keeping both.
L&P W2 was nice with the MEST MKII as far as I remember.
Haven't tried dongles since mid of last year afterwards.

Last edited:
Jan 21, 2022 at 9:14 AM Post #3,005 of 4,022
Very good choice.
MEST MKII is actually the IEM I am missing most for my music taste after selling it.
That's rather a taste / philosophical discussion - I was about to give up the rabbit whole after getting Traillii last year but then needed money to fund the stationary gear.
There are reasons going for IEMs and reasons going for headphones besides the driving / mobility requirements like micro vs macro dynamics and spatial presentation making one prefer one or another or keeping both
I couldn't agree more when you were talking about the reasons for going for headphones over iem's besides being on the go. I love both my ie900 and Mest mk2 but after the new wore off and I got used to both I think the Mest is the one I want to keep. I do love the ie900 but the Mest just has a little more to offer for what I like. I find myself wearing my Noble Falcon Pro a lot at work too because I listen to reviews on you tube, they are lightweight, and easy to pause and play. I have those and will probably keep Mest mk2. Its going to be hard to let go of my dx300 but I am really considering it because I am going to be needing money for payments on Spring 3 and I would like to try out tubes one day too!

Jan 22, 2022 at 12:43 PM Post #3,006 of 4,022
Hi folks

I actually wanted to test Euphony Stylus over the weekend but unfortunately my MacBook Pro i5 and Mac mini M1 aren't supported.

So I experimented with the Ifi Zen Stream I am demoing currently.
It's working flawlessly in USB mode out of Roon, HQPlayer and Tidal-Connect.
But...once I select SPDIF COAX1 I am getting endless (re-)locking times.
Initial locking takes around 20 seconds!
Relocking between songs with different sample rates takes between 3 to 5 seconds, regardless of the playback source.
That means the music is continuing playing but I am hearing nothing until Spring is locked again.

Anyone tried SPDIF and observed something similar or is this related to the Ifi Zen Stream only?
I don't have another source for non-USB playback around unfortunately right now.

I actually expected the Titanic USB module to be superior in terms of SQ but haven't expected such technical issues using another input method...

Last edited:
Jan 22, 2022 at 3:21 PM Post #3,007 of 4,022
Anyone tried SPDIF and observed something similar or is this related to the Ifi Zen Stream only?
Yes, I touched on this within the first few days of ownership when my Spring 3 arrived, posts #2359, #2399, #2420, #2423.

TL;DR
Disable PLL locking or, if you have the ability to set a delay in your software player, do that. In roon I needed to set it to 4000ms.
This is why I decided to ditch my DDC and using either i2s or AES/EBU and just go with USB since I had the KTE with Titanus USB module anyway. Using just the USB input allows me to leave the PLL enabled and have no delays. Though bummed I could not utilize i2s, I was happy to eliminate some gear out of the signal path since SQ to me was as good as I was getting from i2s and AES (as best I can tell), but it does limit the number of sources I can connect to the DAC if I want to leave the PLL on.

It might be worth an email to support to ask for clarification. I wouldn't want to lead anyone the wrong direction if I have misinterpreted what I was told.

Last edited:
Jan 22, 2022 at 5:59 PM Post #3,008 of 4,022
Yes, I touched on this within the first few days of ownership when my Spring 3 arrived, posts #2359, #2399, #2420, #2423.

TL;DR
Disable PLL locking or, if you have the ability to set a delay in your software player, do that. In roon I needed to set it to 4000ms.
This is why I decided to ditch my DDC and using either i2s or AES/EBU and just go with USB since I had the KTE with Titanus USB module anyway. Using just the USB input allows me to leave the PLL enabled and have no delays. Though bummed I could not utilize i2s, I was happy to eliminate some gear out of the signal path since SQ to me was as good as I was getting from i2s and AES (as best I can tell), but it does limit the number of sources I can connect to the DAC if I want to leave the PLL on.

It might be worth an email to support to ask for clarification. I wouldn't want to lead anyone the wrong direction if I have misinterpreted what I was told.
Thx mate.
I remember now that I read your posts once but forgot afterwards.
I haven't even thought about multiple sources before diving into the HQPlayer rabbit whole where I am now captured playing through one NAA and needing to unplug and replug the USB cable to different sources.
That's why I thought about using other inputs to work around it.
Have to confess that I am thinking about downgrading my stack again and send my NAA back within the return window and directly wire my Mac Mini to the Spring so I can run any source I want from there into the Spring like non-upsampled Roon, locally installed Qobuz or the HQPlayer.
Though there might be audiophile advantages for separating source and player I am questioning the loss of flexibility.

Edit: turned off PLL this morning and indeed the locking is now instant with Zen Stream - guess I will give this setup a try for now so I can instantly switch between HQPlayer for NAA and Direct Roon.

Last edited:
Jan 22, 2022 at 6:14 PM Post #3,009 of 4,022
I am even going a step further and claiming that for my own listening enjoyment I perceive the different sources like Roon native vs HQPlayer vs Qobuz, Amazon Music HD or Apple Music not as better or worse but as different presentations of the music which I d like to switch depending on headphone, mood and music mastering.
So e.g whereas I find Roon native sometimes a tad too forward and shouty with some tracks and therefore went for HQPlayer as my main default, there are times and tracks where I want exactly that presentation for example when listening to party / head banging music with my Phi TC.
I am not getting that flexibility needing to replug my USB cable the whole time.
Might look into the Euphony Stylus one day as it seems to combine flexibility and audiophile purism but will need different hardware for that

Last edited:
Jan 23, 2022 at 6:35 PM Post #3,010 of 4,022
Has anyone considered making a shield for the dac module like the May KTE has? Seems like it'd be pretty easy to make a less attractive bent-metal version out of a sheet of copper with a hacksaw, vise, and some standoffs for under $20
You could try those 3M sheets for shielding maybe. They are sticky on one side. You could cut to size & stick it on the case lid above the area you intended.
Something like this
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/265303245884?epid=17049091910&hash=item3dc54e443c:g:ddEAAOSwi91hMTU7

I think 3M make many different types too depending of the type of shielding you are after.
Another here
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/333215204794?epid=17049091910&hash=item4d952c85ba:g:gZUAAOSwHodc7tOL

Last edited:
Jan 23, 2022 at 9:23 PM Post #3,011 of 4,022
@rocky500 I've had a lot of success using 3M's AB7050HF on digital components lately. I thought this would be a fun weekend project in addition to that--
I actually just finished. Can't say my metalworking is my strong suit but it's not like anyone sees it after the case is closed. It's sitting on 10mm risers and extends down slightly below the dac pcb, with 1-2mm clearance on each side. I lined the sides of the shield with kapton tape just to be overly safe.
spring copper shielding.jpg

Last edited:
Jan 25, 2022 at 8:40 AM Post #3,012 of 4,022
20220125_195130.jpg

Finally arrived, first impressions after a few hours is, WOW the spring 3 sounds so good compared to my old ares2 / iris + pegasus setup.

I could not believe how big of a difference it made (subjectively :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: of course).

The instrument separation was so clear, I don't know how to describe it. To be honest I was one of those that didn't think a DAC would make this big of a difference before, but I am sure glad I was tempted to get it.

Now I am thinking of waiting for the Bliss for sure.

Jan 25, 2022 at 12:14 PM Post #3,014 of 4,022
20220125_195130.jpg

Finally arrived, first impressions after a few hours is, WOW the spring 3 sounds so good compared to my old ares2 / iris + pegasus setup.

I could not believe how big of a difference it made (subjectively :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: of course).

The instrument separation was so clear, I don't know how to describe it. To be honest I was one of those that didn't think a DAC would make this big of a difference before, but I am sure glad I was tempted to get it.

Now I am thinking of waiting for the Bliss for sure.
Just wait for the burn in process to occur, it will keep getting better over quite a long period, I had mine for several weeks & I am still hearing improvements.

Jan 25, 2022 at 7:21 PM Post #3,015 of 4,022
Is there any information about the Bliss amplifier? solid state?
Does it have the same size as Spring 3?
I asked the Hong Kong distributor, they said they have no info as of now (or they don't want to reveal details).

I think it might be worth it for me to wait for details instead of jumping into an AHB-2 now

Just wait for the burn in process to occur, it will keep getting better over quite a long period, I had mine for several weeks & I am still hearing improvements.
Will leaving it on standby will do, or is it just left on?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back