Holo Audio Spring R2R DAC
Apr 28, 2020 at 6:48 PM Post #2,117 of 4,062
Does anyone have an explanation of the different settings on the DAC? in regard to NOS, OS, OS PCM, DSD, etc. Like if I have it set to NOS and then oversample in Roon, what is happening exactly with the NOS setting in the DAC? And if i switch it to OS mode, but im oversampling through ROON, what is happening?

Apr 30, 2020 at 6:17 PM Post #2,118 of 4,062
Does anyone have an explanation of the different settings on the DAC? in regard to NOS, OS, OS PCM, DSD, etc. Like if I have it set to NOS and then oversample in Roon, what is happening exactly with the NOS setting in the DAC? And if i switch it to OS mode, but im oversampling through ROON, what is happening?
Not sure if it is correct. But for OS dac, if you feed it 44.1khz signal, it will internally oversample the signal and apply filters with it. For NOS dac, it does not oversample internally. For upsampling the music through Roon, I think it does not provide too much benefit for a OS dac, because dac will oversample the signal anyway. But my guessing for NOS, on the other hand, is that it will make an impact, at least theoretically, because you basically help the dac oversample beforehand, from 44.1khz to say, 192khz.

Apr 30, 2020 at 7:02 PM Post #2,119 of 4,062

This is cut and paste from kitsune holo spring 2 page.

1: NOS mode: has no digital oversampling, the raw data is directly converted to analog. Because digital oversampling will produce time-domain distortions, such as ringing, NOS avoids these problems. Generally NOS mode’s other performance indicators have a significant impact, but the Spring 2 is designed to allow top performance while in NOS mode.

2: OS mode: PCM is over sampled to PCM at a higher frequency, DSD is over sampled to DSD at a higher frequency, and then digital is converted to analog.

3: OS PCM mode: in either PCM or DSD the data will be oversampled to PCM and then digital is converted to analog.

4: OS DSD mode: in either PCM or DSD the data will be oversampled to DSD and then digital is converted to analog.

May 1, 2020 at 8:43 PM Post #2,121 of 4,062
Hey all! I know many of you are using a Singxer product fed with hdmi to the spring 2. For those of you who are doing that and using HQPlayer, I have a question!

Whenever I set HQPlayer to output PCM, I get an insanely distorted sound and screeching and shrilling noise from my music played through ROON. I tried HQplayer to output SDM ( DSD ) , I get good sound. I also tried no hqplayer and just direct through ROON and i have no problem. This is also lossless and oversampling done through Roon. No issue. I also tried the different modes on the DAC, (NOS, OS, OS PCM, OS DSD), and had no problems. Theres ONLY a problem with distorted screeching sound when I am using HQPlayer in PCM mode. Any help would be appreciated <3 ***EDIT: More testing, ive noticed it only distorts at sample rates higher than 384kHz. Anything below that is fine.
hqplayer4.PNG

Last edited:
May 1, 2020 at 8:53 PM Post #2,122 of 4,062
What singxer are u using? I'm using su-6 and its max pcm output is at 384.

May 1, 2020 at 11:35 PM Post #2,123 of 4,062
What singxer are u using? I'm using su-6 and its max pcm output is at 384.

hey im using the Su-2 KTE. Its the newest one. Says in i2s it supports all sampling rates ( 768kHz, DSD 1024) Not sure what to do about the switches on the bottom. On the su6 do you have them setup a certain way?

May 1, 2020 at 11:40 PM Post #2,124 of 4,062
hey im using the Su-2 KTE. Its the newest one. Says in i2s it supports all sampling rates ( 768kHz, DSD 1024) Not sure what to do about the switches on the bottom. On the su6 do you have them setup a certain way?

Yes there should be a manual with your unit that shows what switches to flick. Not sure if that's the problem though.

On my setup, I get a severe static hiss if I playback dsd using a "wrong" USB port on my nuc. But if I swap to another port, it plays normally. Have u tried another USB out?

May 1, 2020 at 11:48 PM Post #2,125 of 4,062
As it's a KTE model, why not ask Kitsune themselves since they also supply the the Spring2, you will get the best and tested solution I believe. Hope it works out for you. Be interested to know, when you've solved this little problem whether you actually notice any real sound difference with the SU2 or just going direct USB which others say works just fine and simplifies the signal chain.

May 2, 2020 at 12:15 AM Post #2,126 of 4,062
As it's a KTE model, why not ask Kitsune themselves since they also supply the the Spring2, you will get the best and tested solution I believe. Hope it works out for you. Be interested to know, when you've solved this little problem whether you actually notice any real sound difference with the SU2 or just going direct USB which others say works just fine and simplifies the signal chain.

Thank you! I sent Tim an email to see what he has to say about it. Its frustrating when things dont work how they're supposed to but hopefully I can get it figured out. I bought it specifically so i could do 768 kHz through hqplayer and i2s.

May 2, 2020 at 12:24 AM Post #2,127 of 4,062
Thank you! I sent Tim an email to see what he has to say about it. Its frustrating when things dont work how they're supposed to but hopefully I can get it figured out. I bought it specifically so i could do 768 kHz through hqplayer and i2s.
not to worry
I guess the issue is simply because of the flexibility of the SU-2 and am guessing you just need to flip the right switches. While waiting for Tim to respond, just enjoy the very nice DAC you have and soak up your favourite tunes! Not sure but it's a holiday weekend in some countries so the response might be a bit delayed. Have fun mate.

May 2, 2020 at 7:37 PM Post #2,128 of 4,062
Just out of curiosity, I tried NUC USB to holo spring 2, playing via hqplayer and upsampling to 1.536M, sinc M LNS15.

The clarity and air up top is improved, highs and vocals are more crisp, but there is slightly reduced bass and mid bass, with lack of weight and impact.

I prefer NUC to singxer su-6 and iis to Holo, pcm 384. Overall presentation sounds more balanced and enjoyable.

May 2, 2020 at 9:20 PM Post #2,129 of 4,062
Just out of curiosity, I tried NUC USB to holo spring 2, playing via hqplayer and upsampling to 1.536M, sinc M LNS15.

The clarity and air up top is improved, highs and vocals are more crisp, but there is slightly reduced bass and mid bass, with lack of weight and impact.

I prefer NUC to singxer su-6 and iis to Holo, pcm 384. Overall presentation sounds more balanced and enjoyable.

Whats your computer specs? I can only get 768kHz with i9 9900k and 2060 super on those settings

May 2, 2020 at 9:24 PM Post #2,130 of 4,062
Whats your computer specs? I can only get 768kHz with i9 9900k and 2060 super on those settings

That is odd. Mine runs fine on just a nuc8i7beh with onboard graphics. I was under the impression pcm was not cpu intensive. DSD on the other hand.. My nuc in fanless case overheats even at dsd256. For dsd upsampling I use a higher power pc in another room and run NAA on the nuc in listening room.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back