Holo Audio Spring R2R DAC
Mar 25, 2019 at 12:34 PM Post #1,951 of 4,058
Can the original Spring or Spring 2 internally upsample ALL input to DSD? For instance, if I input native PCM over USB or i2S can the Spring (in OS DSD mode) output DSD512 (or 1024, etc)?

I've been searching for another R2R DAC (to replace my Soekris) that can do this instead of using a PC for DSD transcoding. Other than the iDSD Pro (which is a hybrid Multibit), it seems there are very few DACs that can do this.

Mar 25, 2019 at 1:11 PM Post #1,952 of 4,058
Can the original Spring or Spring 2 internally upsample ALL input to DSD? For instance, if I input native PCM over USB or i2S can the Spring (in OS DSD mode) output DSD512 (or 1024, etc)?

I've been searching for another R2R DAC (to replace my Soekris) that can do this instead of using a PC for DSD transcoding. Other than the iDSD Pro (which is a hybrid Multibit), it seems there are very few DACs that can do this.
The resampler is fixed at DSD256. it also lowers the volume by 6dB which you need to compensate for with your amp

I'm sure others will also tell you that the chip resampler isn't as good as with a dedicated PC, same thing with the iFi. But honestly it "works" okay, I sometimes upsample to DSD but generally leave it on NOS where it sounds sublime

Mar 25, 2019 at 3:09 PM Post #1,953 of 4,058
On a first gen Spring DAC, how is the usb? I have read about people not liking it. I see that there is an upgraded usb card available on the Kitsune site. I am guessing that is the usb in the v2? I also see people suggesting that a DDC like a Singxer Su1 would be optimal to use the I2S. Does the standard version of Su1 work with Spring DACs? Or does it have to be modded somehow [for power reasons]?

Mar 25, 2019 at 3:39 PM Post #1,954 of 4,058
On a first gen Spring DAC, how is the usb? I have read about people not liking it. I see that there is an upgraded usb card available on the Kitsune site. I am guessing that is the usb in the v2? I also see people suggesting that a DDC like a Singxer Su1 would be optimal to use the I2S. Does the standard version of Su1 work with Spring DACs? Or does it have to be modded somehow [for power reasons]?
The stock SU-1 is pretty good, but it makes sense (depending on how revealing your amp / phones / speakers are) to bypass the on board rectification circuit to allow the use of an external Linear Power Supply with 5V output. Kitsune used to do a mod kit for around $30, not sure if it’s still available? You can also change regulator chips for low noise versions and even swap out capacitors, whatever you’re comfortable with. Kitsune sell a ready-tweaked SU-1 as do Magna hifi in Europe. If you go I2S from the SU-1 to the Spring (the two are compatible and the SU-1 can be adjusted with an array of tiny switches for various DACs), keep the HDMI lead as short as your rig permits, as this is a noise-prone area in the audio chain. Sorry, I hardly ever used the USB input on my Spring Level 1, so can’t comment other than I immediately heard the benefit the SU-1 gave.

Mar 25, 2019 at 3:45 PM Post #1,955 of 4,058
To elaborate on this. The newest spring USB board is so good you don't need an additional digital device imo. I have a spring 2 and had a singxer su-1. There's little point since the usb already goes so far. It might have a point if you want to break some noise loop though, via optical/balanced aes ebu digital connection. But in terms of I2S-HDMI vs newest USB, performance is just about the same. My experience

Mar 25, 2019 at 4:30 PM Post #1,956 of 4,058
On a first gen Spring DAC, how is the usb? I have read about people not liking it.
I've been rather vocal about what I felt was a poor quality USB implementation on the original Holo Spring. It was by far inferior to the I2S input. ....which is why so many Spring owners purchased Singxer SU-1s.

Does the standard version of Su1 work with Spring DACs? Or does it have to be modded somehow [for power reasons]?
The standard Singxer SU-1 works just fine. A lot of people went on to "hot rod" their SU-1 and bypass the internal power supply with an external linear power supply. I'm one of the guys that did all of those mods. I bought an Uplone ISOREGEN to clean up the USB signal. I power the ISO Regen and the Singxer SU-1 with a linear power supply. Each mod improved the performance just a little bit.

If you want a deal on modified Singxer SU-1, ISO Regen and Linear power supply let me know! I'm not using any of that gear with my new Chord Qutest.

Mar 25, 2019 at 4:36 PM Post #1,957 of 4,058
it makes sense to bypass the on board rectification circuit to allow the use of an external Linear Power Supply with 5V output.
You can also change regulator chips for low noise versions and even swap out capacitors, whatever you’re comfortable with.
I did *all* of those mods to my SU-1. I bypassed the internal power supply to power it with an external LPS. I soldered in new voltage regulators chips and swapped caps. I was able to wring out a little more performance out of the SU-1. ...I primarily did it because it was fun and relatively easy to do. If you're not handy with a soldering iron, I wouldn't lie awake at night thinking your missing out on some ultimate performance tweak.

Mar 25, 2019 at 4:41 PM Post #1,958 of 4,058
I did *all* of those mods to my SU-1. I bypassed the internal power supply to power it with an external LPS. I soldered in new voltage regulators chips and swapped caps. I was able to wring out a little more performance out of the SU-1. ...I primarily did it because it was fun and relatively easy to do. If you're not handy with a soldering iron, I wouldn't lie awake at night thinking your missing out on some ultimate performance tweak.
As well as the bypass, I added a Sparkos SS1117XX Discrete Voltage Regulator ( +3.3V), but I drew the line at swapping out the capacitors. I get my 5V d.c. from an Uptone LPS-1.

Are you using a 12V LPS with the Qutest?

Mar 25, 2019 at 4:44 PM Post #1,959 of 4,058
I see they have usb upgrade cards available on the Kitsune site. Is this the same as the usb in the v2? If I bought this, is there soldering involved?

Mar 25, 2019 at 4:50 PM Post #1,960 of 4,058
I added a Sparkos SS1117XX Discrete Voltage Regulator ( +3.3V)
Yup, that's one that one that I installed too. It was a pretty simple mod.

Are you using a 12V LPS with the Qutest?
Not yet. The consensus among Qutest owners seems to be that it doesn't respond to the typical audio nerd tweaks in the same way that other DACs have. Linear power supplies haven't seemed to make a significant difference. Rob Watts chose a low noise "wall wart" to ship with the Qutest. Since I already own the Uptone LPS I plan to try it out for myself & see if I can find an improvement with my own ears.

Similarly, USB tweaks like the ISOREGEN and similar de-crapifiers don't seem to make a positive impact. According to Rob Watts they may in fact introduce noise!

The only real tweaks that seem to get any traction are different USB cables. I recently swapped to a Curious USB cable and I believe that it made a positive difference.

Mar 25, 2019 at 4:55 PM Post #1,961 of 4,058
Yup, that's one that one that I installed too. It was a pretty simple mod.

Not yet. The consensus among Qutest owners seems to be that it doesn't respond to the typical audio nerd tweaks in the same way that other DACs have. Linear power supplies haven't seemed to make a significant difference. Rob Watts chose a low noise "wall wart" to ship with the Qutest. Since I already own the Uptone LPS I plan to try it out for myself & see if I can find an improvement with my own ears.

Similarly, USB tweaks like the ISOREGEN and similar de-crapifiers don't seem to make a positive impact. According to Rob Watts they may in fact introduce noise!

The only real tweaks that seem to get any traction are different USB cables. I recently swapped to a Curious USB cable and I believe that it made a positive difference.
Until I got my Uptone USPCB, I used a short Curious Cables link from uR to SU-1. They are good cables (for some reason).

Mar 26, 2019 at 1:47 AM Post #1,962 of 4,058
Mine arrived in my hotel already currently in HK right now for a vacation.

54727761_341065369857151_2169916747518312448_n.jpg

Some pics sent by Wildism after the mod, Excellent service from Wildism. Cant wait to get home.

55778979_321019798617630_6832905802404069376_n.jpg

55470306_341763049802014_8344068922852507648_n.jpg

55564493_842161339457775_6836350774197354496_n.jpg

Apr 6, 2019 at 4:12 AM Post #1,965 of 4,058
Hi,

How much did the Wildism Exreme Edition cost?
I'm debating between the Wildism Exreme Edition and the KTE.

Thanks
The original LEVEL 2 price HKD14900
Short time discounted price was HKD13900, just south of $1800

Add to that the LEVEL 3 mod, +HKD8700
Add to that Intl shipping, +HKD1200

In the end it is near $3000 vs the Kitsune $2700 + $150(?) shipping.
So, close. But for KTE, there is no internal pics available whatsoever.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back