Holo Audio Spring R2R DAC
Oct 4, 2018 at 11:50 PM Post #1,876 of 4,062
Does the Hd800S pair well with the holospring?
You need to specify the amp to get any useful feedback. I don't have those headphones, but in my experience, the DAC-amp pairing makes a big difference on how different headphones perform. I have a Holo Spring KTE 3. With a solid-state Neurochrome HP-1, MrSpeakers Æon Closed sound very balanced and dynamic. With a hybrid tube-solid state Schiit Lyr 3 with a high-end tube, Æon Closed sounds constricted and somewhat disjointed between lows and mids. OTOH, MrSpeakers Ether C Flow sound glorious with the Lyr 3. Same DAC, different amps, very different outcomes depending on headphones.

Dec 7, 2018 at 4:55 AM Post #1,878 of 4,062
the new version Holo Spring 2 is now on sale both on Kitsune (for US) and Magna (for Europe).
The list of improvements is long but somewhat vaguely worded..better resistors (actual % not said), a "femtoclock" and more, what's very clear is that there's a marked (at least for Europe) increase in prices..basically the version 3 is 300 euros more!

Last edited:
Dec 7, 2018 at 9:57 AM Post #1,879 of 4,062
Ok, I am In for dsd1024 .... however, what in the heck can do Digital to Digital conversion that output DSD1024 via I2S ?

People only think DAC is important....the DDC is also just as important.

The compensation is something similar to AudioGD has been doing for a while, sadly...no DSD1024. I heard the Kitsune HS once in comparison to r2r7. Back then, the R2R7 had issues with it Firmware which is now much improved over a few versions of firmware. I heard the negativities of Brass Pins in HS and then I went to research on it and was so sure there were everywhere. Hope this is fixed ? I worked on my r2r7 and it brought a huge improvements

I also would love to know the Clock system on the HS2, what is it

Last edited:
Dec 10, 2018 at 9:16 AM Post #1,880 of 4,062
Does anyone have new Holo Audio - Spring II DAC Level 2 (R2R - DSD1024) ?
I,m considering this one or Audio GD R8..?
What do you guys think would be better option and why?
And one more question..what do you benefit when using Singxer SU-1 usb?I've seen this device in some youtube videos and i dont know what is it for..?Is that for streaming and for using i2s connection or am i wrong?

thx for helping me.

Dec 11, 2018 at 8:26 PM Post #1,881 of 4,062
Does anyone have new Holo Audio - Spring II DAC Level 2 (R2R - DSD1024) ?
I,m considering this one or Audio GD R8..?
What do you guys think would be better option and why?
And one more question..what do you benefit when using Singxer SU-1 usb?I've seen this device in some youtube videos and i dont know what is it for..?Is that for streaming and for using i2s connection or am i wrong?

thx for helping me.

SU-1 is a digital to digital conversion.

What does it convert ? Well, it take in USB signals, and convert it into I2S signals whatever the USB signals may contain (PCM, DSD...etc..)

What is the I2S signals ? I thought DAC only take USB in ? Well, I2S signals is a processed and separate timed clock signals, it is called Inter-IC Sound (IIS). Your IC chips AKA DAC-chip is communicate by this Signals. Then what about the USB in on the DAC ? Exactly this, in digital world, you need digital interface (USB, Coax, AES, IIS...etc..). USB is just one of the input on the DAC, but whatever input it takes in, it would need to have an according interfaces to interprete this incoming digital signal into IIS signals. So, in short, your USB input in the DAC is simply USB-Digital to Digital Conversion. It will become IIS before it get to your DAC.

So why do we use DDC (digital to digital conversion) ? Well, because more than often, the USB within your DAC is poorly implemented with only acceptable clock oscilliators and or power supply. The SU-1 is a dedicated DDC. It has separated ground isolation, linear power supply with ultra low noises, and other features to improve the sound quality for your digital files

Dec 12, 2018 at 5:35 PM Post #1,882 of 4,062
SU-1 is a digital to digital conversion.

What does it convert ? Well, it take in USB signals, and convert it into I2S signals whatever the USB signals may contain (PCM, DSD...etc..)

What is the I2S signals ? I thought DAC only take USB in ? Well, I2S signals is a processed and separate timed clock signals, it is called Inter-IC Sound (IIS). Your IC chips AKA DAC-chip is communicate by this Signals. Then what about the USB in on the DAC ? Exactly this, in digital world, you need digital interface (USB, Coax, AES, IIS...etc..). USB is just one of the input on the DAC, but whatever input it takes in, it would need to have an according interfaces to interprete this incoming digital signal into IIS signals. So, in short, your USB input in the DAC is simply USB-Digital to Digital Conversion. It will become IIS before it get to your DAC.

So why do we use DDC (digital to digital conversion) ? Well, because more than often, the USB within your DAC is poorly implemented with only acceptable clock oscilliators and or power supply. The SU-1 is a dedicated DDC. It has separated ground isolation, linear power supply with ultra low noises, and other features to improve the sound quality for your digital files

Thx for that..i think i understand much better now.
So in this case with SU-1 and I2S conection we should always get some inpruvement in sound..
And Singxer SU-6 is same thing but ''new and inpruved one''?

But is this meaningful only when used for streaming (roon,Tidal...) or even when used when playing (Flac ,..) from SSDdisc?

ty

Dec 12, 2018 at 5:57 PM Post #1,883 of 4,062
Thx for that..i think i understand much better now.
So in this case with SU-1 and I2S conection we should always get some inpruvement in sound..
And Singxer SU-6 is same thing but ''new and inpruved one''?

But is this meaningful only when used for streaming (roon,Tidal...) or even when used when playing (Flac ,..) from SSDdisc?

ty

Yes, you will get improvement due to better clock precision’s and better power supply from your DDC

Yes, SU-6 is a further improved DDC based on SU-1 but is using the same DSP Chip (digital Signal Processing) which is XMOS XU208

It is meaningful whenever you are sending Digital signals into your DAC. Therefore, Roon, Tidal, YouTube, DSD, PCM of all kinds Wav/Flac...etc....Yes, even files stored on SSD

Dec 12, 2018 at 6:19 PM Post #1,884 of 4,062
Yes, you will get improvement due to better clock precision’s and better power supply from your DDC

Yes, SU-6 is a further improved DDC based on SU-1 but is using the same DSP Chip (digital Signal Processing) which is XMOS XU208

It is meaningful whenever you are sending Digital signals into your DAC. Therefore, Roon, Tidal, YouTube, DSD, PCM of all kinds Wav/Flac...etc....Yes, even files stored on SSD

Thanks my friend.
Did you heared new holo spring II?And is there big diference (soundwise)betwen 2 and Kitsune version?

Dec 12, 2018 at 6:27 PM Post #1,886 of 4,062
I wish I could afford them all to answer you :D, but I don’t :wink:

I am curious about the II as well.

Yea i understand..I also have tu safe money 1/2 year to buy somethink like that.Puting together my HI-FI sistem for 6-7 years and now hunting for new DAC(had M2tech Young before).
I,m mostly listening to records and that is the sound that i want from my DAC(or as close to that).

Dec 21, 2018 at 12:14 AM Post #1,890 of 4,062
Took a chance and ordered the KTE Spring 2 this past week. Still 3+ weeks out on delivery.

I was set on getting a level 1 original Spring, and the KTE SU1, but when I finally was ready to order, the Spring 2 was up on the Kitsune page. Given you need at least level 2 of the Spring 2 to get the remote (which will be useful to me), I was now looking at the upper level models rather than level 1. With the current sale going on, decided to go all in for the KTE Spring 2 together with the KTE SU1.

Improvements that pique my interest with the Spring 2 are the remote, that additional detail is now being shown on the display, and that the I2S input is supposedly improved over the original. Also of interest is that the KTE model now officially has hand selected DAC modules.

My worries are that the DAC module is a refined design over the original Spring - will it still perform to the same high level? Power supply has been changed a bit as well. Feedback from Tim at Kitsune and some trust that the designer would not go backwards in performance goals gave me enough confidence to go forward with the purchase.

I’ve scoured the internet every couple of days for the past two weeks, and to date no review info is posted anywhere yet on the Spring 2 that I can find. Used google translate quite a bit these past few weeks...

Anxiously awaiting both feedback from users, and delivery of my new DAC. So hard to be patient :).

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back