Holo Audio Spring R2R DAC
Mar 23, 2017 at 9:30 PM Post #1,066 of 4,062
Understanding that heat rises, when I had the LAu stacked on top of the Spring, the Spring's temperature was much higher than it is without the stacking.

Is that heat enough to cause a problem? I don't know, but I wasn't going to find out either.

Mar 23, 2017 at 11:25 PM Post #1,067 of 4,062
Understanding that heat rises, when I had the LAu stacked on top of the Spring, the Spring's temperature was much higher than it is without the stacking.

Is that heat enough to cause a problem? I don't know, but I wasn't going to find out either.

I have my LAu on top of my Spring L3, but I've lifted the Spring with isolation pods and also have quiet computer fans blowing air from behind just in case. Modern fans that are easily powered using USB are also very quiet, especially on low speed. Never any heat issues, and I leave them on 24/7. Cheers

Mar 24, 2017 at 11:04 AM Post #1,068 of 4,062
It sure is but over time you usually get the right answer or the one you are looking for. The internet is the greatest invention. I'm just watching and waiting the Holo is very new but it certainly has upped the stakes in DAC's and other Chinese are producing some interesting Dac's. In terms of pricing if they can get the sound much better its going to be devastating for US and European manufacturers. 

Hard to compete with slave labor and currency manipulation.

Mar 24, 2017 at 9:26 PM Post #1,071 of 4,062
Well, my review of the Level 3 "KitsuneHIFI tuned" Spring DAC is in for Final Editing and Scheduling. In short...it was a revelation to me on just how good R2R / NOS DACs can sound! When coupled with the KTE SU-1, music from my iMac has never sounded better.

Hopefully my review should be out by mid-late April. Just a final note, this setup has certainly passed the "put your money where your mouth is test" as I am planning on purchasing both units! Tim at KitsuneHIFI has been a pleasure to deal with and anyone looking for a new digital front end, I strongly recommend you look give them a strong consideration!

Mar 24, 2017 at 10:09 PM Post #1,072 of 4,062
I hear you Mace. Looking forward to the review.

I'm working on a review myself (of the Soekris; might be done in a few more weeks). It oversamples but I too am hearing the difference a full R2R dac is making in my setup.

Maybe someday I can afford to get the Holo Spring as well.

Mar 25, 2017 at 8:23 AM Post #1,073 of 4,062
Anyone know if the Holo Spring DAC used SMPS or has a linear PS on the boards? I can't tell looking at the internals.

Fantasy land, but I would really fancy pulling the Discrete boards out and fitting to a bigger chassis, use a valve regulated PS and nice tube line stage, just to see where it is at. Maybe no point but I would love to know if it can be improved upon and it would be fun trying for sure.

But regardless, the arrival of this DAC has to shake things up a bit, especially in the insane money 20K+ 'end game' DAC territory, which as we have all seen before, in many cases ends up on AGon at a loss......

Mar 25, 2017 at 9:52 AM Post #1,074 of 4,062
SU-1, GS-X mk2, Liquid Gold, burning in 4 headphones simultaneously!

Mar 25, 2017 at 10:29 AM Post #1,075 of 4,062
SU-1, GS-X mk2, Liquid Gold, burning in 4 headphones simultaneously!

Very nice gear
beerchug.gif

I thought it was not recommended to stack the GS-X PSU and unit.
According to this: https://www.headamp.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/10/GS-X-mk2-Manual-for-web.pdf

Mar 25, 2017 at 10:45 AM Post #1,076 of 4,062
Probably not, but I've always stacked it since day one. I use a fan though

Mar 25, 2017 at 10:55 AM Post #1,077 of 4,062
Probably not, but I've always stacked it since day one. I use a fan though

Any thoughts on the Liquid Gold vs GS-X on the Spring?
beerchug.gif

Mar 25, 2017 at 11:29 AM Post #1,078 of 4,062

Any thoughts on the Liquid Gold vs GS-X on the Spring?
beerchug.gif

Well, I've been scared of giving my thoughts on the the GS-X thread and the LAu thread so I guess I'll give it here.

I've been hearing on the GS-X thread about a quite noticeable edge in clarity by the GS-X over the LAu, but I don't think it's that noticeable. It's very slight, however, the GS-X is definitely more neutral and vocals seem to pop out at you more; they're more intimate. On the other hand, the LAu sounds a bit more musical, "euphoric" I want to say......the GS-X is somewhat dry by comparison. LAu feels a bit more ambient with a wider soundstage, almost tubey. I haven't been able to make up my mind on which I like better for two months now, so I'm keeping them both.

Mar 25, 2017 at 11:58 AM Post #1,079 of 4,062

Well, I've been scared of giving my thoughts on the the GS-X thread and the LAu thread so I guess I'll give it here.

I've been hearing on the GS-X thread about a quite noticeable edge in clarity by the GS-X over the LAu, but I don't think it's that noticeable. It's very slight, however, the GS-X is definitely more neutral and vocals seem to pop out at you more; they're more intimate. On the other hand, the LAu sounds a bit more musical, "euphoric" I want to say......the GS-X is somewhat dry by comparison. LAu feels a bit more ambient with a wider soundstage, almost tubey. I haven't been able to make up my mind on which I like better for two months now, so I'm keeping them both.

I just ordered my GS-X a short while ago
beerchug.gif
(no more blue, so I went with silver)

What you mentioned is exactly what I wanted from the GS-X
L3000.gif
Can't wait for it to arrive!

Mar 25, 2017 at 9:16 PM Post #1,080 of 4,062

I just ordered my GS-X a short while ago
beerchug.gif
(no more blue, so I went with silver)

What you mentioned is exactly what I wanted from the GS-X
L3000.gif
Can't wait for it to arrive!

You should be very impressed. Listening to my GS-X MK2 with the Level 3 Spring DAC and a 192kbps Louis Armstrong...Satchmo has never sounded better!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back