Holo Audio Spring R2R DAC
Oct 27, 2016 at 4:38 AM Post #271 of 4,062
So the thought struck me to ask…

Is there a PCM only version being considered?
I have no need for DSD, nor am I interested in pursuing that file format, so a PCM only version would be of interest to me and I would assume others as well.

Just curious…

JJ

Oct 27, 2016 at 12:42 PM Post #272 of 4,062

I have no need for DSD, nor am I interested in pursuing that file format, so a PCM only version would be of interest to me and I would assume others as well.

Just curious…

JJ

I guess no.

The reason why it supports DSD is that the module can operate at a very high speed similar to modern dacs so removing DSD support would just make very little hardware difference.

Oct 27, 2016 at 6:25 PM Post #273 of 4,062
I vaguely remember reading that the DSD circuitry uses a different portion of the hardware.
I don't know if the DSD conversion circuitry is on a separate board or not or if it would be possible to just eliminate this portion of the design.

But DSD isn't a viable source of music for me, and I would suspect most other users as well.
As such by introducing a non DSD DAC would potentially lower the cost and simplify the operation of this technology.

Just curious.

JJ

Oct 28, 2016 at 12:37 AM Post #274 of 4,062

Just curious…

JJ

Nope.

Not even a possibility. This was designed on a module with top and bottom of the module chock full of resistors. The DSD has two dedicated resistor networks and PCM has two dedicated resistor networks. Fully balanced of course and discretely dedicated to either DSD or PCM... the second network is for linear compensation, which is not something you'll find on other dacs. This is the feature that makes this dac quite unique. So the intent or idea of making a new module w/o DSD is not going to be a future option or plan. The price point is very low point and maybe you'd be happy with the Level1 or Level2 dac if the price was considered too high. They also perform quite well compared to anything in it's price range. 

DSD has never interested me in the slightest until i've heard it on this dac. Thats my two cents on the subject. Otherwise it wouldn't save a whole lot on cost of the Level3 dac in particular. About half the cost of the dac is spent on the power supply implementation, and it's apparent when comparing between the different models. Each Level of dac was considered to allow for a perfect option according to budget. NONE of these dacs perform poorly and not likely to lack in any particular category. Simply ignoring it has the ability for DSD is an easier approach, as this is a feature that is hit or miss with users. And as you know, DSD is commonly found on most dacs, and from a sales standpoint, not having DSD would deter a percentage of potential buyers. Especially when it's been implemented so well. 

Oct 28, 2016 at 12:40 AM Post #275 of 4,062
I understand.
Thanks for that explanation.

JJ

Oct 29, 2016 at 6:22 AM Post #276 of 4,062
bimmer100 said:

... the second network is for linear compensation, which is not something you'll find on other dacs. This is the feature that makes this dac quite unique.

Unless I am mistaken, Metrum do linear compensation (they call it forward correction to compensate for the effect switching noise has on linearity) via FPGA on Pavane and Musette.

They've both been out a while, so unless both companies mean different things with those words, I wouldn't say Holo was first or unique in regards to linear compensation.

Oct 30, 2016 at 4:35 PM Post #279 of 4,062
Very soon to pull the trigger on the Holo Spring Level 3 DAC.  Like many others I was set on the Yiggy, but then there was just enough buzz to get me interested about the Spring.  I've owned some nice DACs (Ciunas, Mojo, W4S DAC-2, Anedio D2, iFi iDSD Micro) but nothing this expensive.  Hoping it will be my only new DAC for the next 3+ years :).

Took a break from headphone audio and now slowly rebuilding.  Early on I'll be using the Elear with the Liquid Carbon 2.  Really enjoyed the MZ2, HD800S and GH-1 combo when I had them so I'll probably be re-adding them to the arsenal.  At the time I was only using the Mojo as a DAC so I'm curious to hear how much better a higher end DAC will do with them.  

Thanks to Tim with the fast communication.  Soon the wait.    

Oct 30, 2016 at 7:22 PM Post #281 of 4,062
  Very soon to pull the trigger on the Holo Spring Level 3 DAC.  Like many others I was set on the Yiggy, but then there was just enough buzz to get me interested about the Spring.  I've owned some nice DACs (Ciunas, Mojo, W4S DAC-2, Anedio D2, iFi iDSD Micro) but nothing this expensive.  Hoping it will be my only new DAC for the next 3+ years :).

Took a break from headphone audio and now slowly rebuilding.  Early on I'll be using the Elear with the Liquid Carbon 2.  Really enjoyed the MZ2, HD800S and GH-1 combo when I had them so I'll probably be re-adding them to the arsenal.  At the time I was only using the Mojo as a DAC so I'm curious to hear how much better a higher end DAC will do with them.  

Thanks to Tim with the fast communication.  Soon the wait.    

Tim's incredible to work with. Honest, helpful and great with comms. 

Oct 31, 2016 at 3:22 PM Post #282 of 4,062
Any real word on how this DAC is converting DSD?

R2R resistor network is almost always presented as a PCM only multibit solution, not suitable for true DSD conversion.  

BUT.....what actual Native DSD DAC's, such as the Burr Brown chip used by iFi and others, do isn't as different from what a ladder R2R DAC does as you might think.  

They use a resistor network (bit-switches).  These switches are grouped together to create various voltage values.  These non-equal groupings of resistors are therefore the TAPS in the analog FIR filter that converts the DSD signal.  

But, DSD is 1-bit... PCM is multibit... how would you feed a 1-bit DSD signal to multiple resistors??  Quite simply....

The taps are fed by using a DELAY LINE on the 1 bit DSD signal, in the case of the Burr Brown, the single DSD stream is 'stacked' 8 times, each stream delayed from its adjacent streams by a single pulse. 

There could be some kind of dynamic element matching as well, meaning that the 8 streams are randomly sent to the TAPS to account for any nonlinearities.  

So, it is VERY possible that an R2R resistor network, SPECIFICALLY and ONLY for DSD (PCM would not work anyone) could be used for native DSD conversion.  At least as native as any of the other products on the market that advertise being native DSD. 

So then, to have an R2R DAC that can convert both PCM and DSD natively, would require unique R2R DACs for each format.  

Which sounds a lot like the advertised characteristics of this DAC.  I am very, very interesting in finding out more about what goes on under the hood...

Nov 1, 2016 at 4:44 PM Post #283 of 4,062
Why was bimmer 100 post about the difference between the Spring DAC's true linear compensation and Metrum's forward correction deleted? It was a very informative read and very respectful toward Metrum Acoustics.

Nov 1, 2016 at 5:00 PM Post #284 of 4,062
Why was bimmer 100 post about the difference between the Spring DAC's true linear compensation and Metrum's forward correction deleted? It was a very informative read and very respectful toward Metrum Acoustics.

Dunno - but I saved the thread update email with the reply so i could read it again.

Nov 1, 2016 at 5:03 PM Post #285 of 4,062
no direct comparisons to other gear is allowed for MOT on Headfi. So my comment was deleted. I didn't mean to be disrespectful but that wasn't the point. It wasn't appropriate for the rules of the forums. So leave it at that. :D 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back