Holo Audio Spring R2R DAC
Oct 18, 2016 at 1:00 AM Post #241 of 4,062
The audio note transformer is one mod we don't offer but we have a better option if you feel it's needed. A Russian hand wound pure silver transformer of better spec. But this mod is not recommended and only makes the sound richer and able to run long runs of 50ft of aes cable. It's for 110 ohm and frankly no point to do it unless you really do have the need for a long run cable. Otherwise it's kind of pointless , this opinion from our designer and tuner. So we won't offer it simply due to us believing it doesn't give any benefit of sound quality improvement compared to cost. Take it as you will. But maybe for a studio situation and need to run cables across the way. Sure! The stock transformer is more neutral and natural imho. And sufficient for most people running shorter cables under 10ft or so. At least this partially my understanding for the transformer aes upgrade. For 110ohm.

Thanks for clearing things up!

I ordered my Spring from HK with everything sans the transformer because I primarily use toslink and USB.
Can't wait for it to arrive
jecklinsmile.gif

Oct 18, 2016 at 9:54 AM Post #242 of 4,062
Mine does not have the Audionote transformer as well. That will add to the total cost if included.

Oct 18, 2016 at 1:18 PM Post #244 of 4,062
A whole lot more dacs shipped out today. 4 lkitsune tuned editions. And one level1

I will have a level 1, level 2 and level 3 soon. And have a review of those done.

Oct 18, 2016 at 4:21 PM Post #245 of 4,062
hi  all     I juast received kitsune tuned edition 3 spring DAC  2hours warm up after first listen with my system using jriver upsmpling dsd128 to dac nos mod already sound good compare to my old dac PS audio perfectwave mark2,calyx M DAP.     My first impression about holo dac is very positive I'm  very happy campe.  my IC and PC also brand new from Audio Sensibility statement occ cable so need time to settle down.   when I get 100 hour burn in I comeback here give more detail impression     from   CANADA CHA    bye  all !!!! 

Oct 21, 2016 at 11:43 AM Post #246 of 4,062
I know I don't post around here too often these days, but I got a Level 3 Spring fairly early on. So far so good. I only use it for non-oversampling, PCM purposes. I have absolutey zero interest in DSD, I prefer a non-oversampled sound, and if I do want oversampling, I'm likely to lean towards highly customized digital filters or something with minimal ringing (I do really like Schiit's filters, maybe one of my favorites...if only I could use it on more DACs!). I am meeting with a couple folks tomorrow to do some head-to-head DAC comparisons, namely against the Pavane, and will have a review ready sometime within the week after. I simply didn't want to write a review without good, direct comparisons, and I like to take my time listening to get a good feel for a product and let the "new toy syndrome" wear off in order to mitigate bias and provide quality content.

Oct 21, 2016 at 12:22 PM Post #247 of 4,062
Received my Spring L3 yesterday. After only a couple hours after warm up I am quite impressed. Very holographic/3D presentation with truly awesome detail. Felt like I was listening at a live venue,  which is precisely the sound I have always attempted to achieve but it has escaped me.. (I attend live music events very often) perhaps until now.  More impressions to follow as it's way too soon yet. Wanting to get a 150+hrs of use/burn-in first. Big tks to Tim for his top notch service/assistance with this acquisition and other gear of late. Much appreciated! Great guy to work/deal with.

Oct 21, 2016 at 12:42 PM Post #248 of 4,062
Thank you guys!  Looking forward to more feedback.

@Joeybgood do you intend to use DSD with the Holo?  Thats what I am mainly interested in as I use HQP to convert everything to DSD256.

Oct 21, 2016 at 12:50 PM Post #249 of 4,062
  Thank you guys!  Looking forward to more feedback.

@Joeybgood do you intend to use DSD with the Holo?  Thats what I am mainly interested in as I use HQP to convert everything to DSD256

I Do although I have been strictly a redbook (and some 24bit music) guy until this point.  I plan to delve into DSD somewhat and if I feel it's superior enough I will likely pursue more. I'm not very tech savvy and  I use Foobar2K. The add on that I dl'd for DSD playback hasn't done the trick. Need to figure out what I'm missing so I am able to listen to the handful of 2.8 and 5.6 files that were available as freebies on ProMaster w/s. If DSD is rendered as beautifully and holographically as the PCM is, I will be very very pleased and impressed.

Oct 21, 2016 at 3:49 PM Post #250 of 4,062
  Very holographic/3D presentation with truly awesome detail. Felt like I was listening at a live venue,  which is precisely the sound I have always attempted to achieve but it has escaped me..

I see you have owned both the Yggdrasil and Pavane.
What specifically is the Holo DAC doing that surpasses those two?

I've been looking for specifics, and only reviews I can find are simplistic (Holo > X).
I'd be appreciative if you articulated the differences in a more granular description.

Oct 21, 2016 at 4:00 PM Post #251 of 4,062
  I see you have owned both the Yggdrasil and Pavane.
What specifically is the Holo DAC doing that surpasses those two?

I've been looking for specifics, and only reviews I can find are simplistic (Holo > X).
I'd be appreciative if you articulated the differences in a more granular description.

I will absolutely oblige once I've had some more extensive time with it. It just arrived last evening and after an hour or so of warm up I gave it about an hour or so of listening. But I was immediately struck with how enveloped by the sound I was. Detailed, fully fleshed out music that had a realness to it that I had not experienced before. Not even with Yggy or Pavane. I'll leave it at that for now but I'm very excited about this unit.

Oct 21, 2016 at 6:54 PM Post #252 of 4,062
"Time will tell..."

:popcorn:

Oct 21, 2016 at 7:29 PM Post #253 of 4,062
  I will absolutely oblige once I've had some more extensive time with it. It just arrived last evening and after an hour or so of warm up I gave it about an hour or so of listening. But I was immediately struck with how enveloped by the sound I was. Detailed, fully fleshed out music that had a realness to it that I had not experienced before. Not even with Yggy or Pavane. I'll leave it at that for now but I'm very excited about this unit.

Thanks for the early feedback. I wonder if you can directly A/B the Holo / Yggy / Pavane at sme stage so you dont have to rely on longterm memory? Apparently auditory memory only lasts a matter of seconds.

Oct 21, 2016 at 10:57 PM Post #254 of 4,062

Thanks for the early feedback. I wonder if you can directly A/B the Holo / Yggy / Pavane at sme stage so you dont have to rely on longterm memory? Apparently auditory memory only lasts a matter of seconds.

I agree Nana. Without them all present simultaneously to compare, it is soooooo difficult to do so with any accuracy. My memory is not fantastic but I DO know that I have never experienced this level of musicality and joy with any of my previous DACs. none.. I am stunned by how good the Spring is. Truth.

Oct 22, 2016 at 3:50 AM Post #255 of 4,062

If auditory memory only lasts a matter of seconds, it would mean that you don’t know and can’t remember how real voices and instruments like a piano or a trumpet sounds like. No actual audio reference for how they sounds like live, unamped. With no audio reference you would not be able to determine if the voices and/or instruments you hear is playing live or if it’s recorded and played by a hifi system.

The study on auditory memory was NOT about SQ or sound signature. It was about how one can remember audio details, just like other studies there people are asked to look at a picture for 20 sec and then are asked to say which stuff they can remember from the picture. If I for example don’t remember that it was a cat in the picture it doesn’t mean that I don’t know how a cat looks like. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back