Holo Audio May DAC Speculation
Jan 18, 2022 at 9:35 AM Post #436 of 1,228
@GoldenOne I've seen you haven't published the May measurements at your webpage. It would be great if you consider to publish them.
By the way nice page. It's very nice to have reviews with independent (and high quality) measurements :beerchug:
I've not actually taken any full ones of my may yet :p
Did some brief ones to check jitter and thd which I think I have somewhere but nothing thorough yet.

Ill get round to doing some but the issue is I'm near constantly using it in my listening system so need to take it out and move to the measurement bench when I wouldn't need to listen to it/compare something for a bit.

In the meantime, l7 audiolab posted quite thorough measurements of it.

Jan 18, 2022 at 9:57 AM Post #437 of 1,228
In the meantime, l7 audiolab posted quite thorough measurements of it.
Yes, I know. But it would be great to have another new (and updated) set of measurements. Stereophile and l7 measurements are a bit old and probably there are some hw and fw upgrades implemented along this time that will make interesting to measure the unit again :wink:

Jan 30, 2022 at 12:24 PM Post #438 of 1,228
@GoldenOne in your youtube review of the May you say the output stage is "fully discrete". Is this correct? In the Spring 3 the I/V stage is an opamp and I have read elsewhere the May has the very same output stage as the Spring 3 so, is the I/V stage in May discrete or an opamp?

Thanks!

Jan 30, 2022 at 2:09 PM Post #439 of 1,228
@GoldenOne in your youtube review of the May you say the output stage is "fully discrete". Is this correct? In the Spring 3 the I/V stage is an opamp and I have read elsewhere the May has the very same output stage as the Spring 3 so, is the I/V stage in May discrete or an opamp?

Thanks!
There are quality op-amps in the output stage here and there just like in Spring 2/3.. they are part of the DAC analogue stage though, maybe he meant the May pre-amp is "fully discrete"?

Feb 2, 2022 at 3:34 AM Post #440 of 1,228
There are quality op-amps in the output stage here and there just like in Spring 2/3.. they are part of the DAC analogue stage though, maybe he meant the May pre-amp is "fully discrete"?
As far as I know there is no pre-amp in the May and yes, it seems there are opamps in the output stage so the those are not fully discrete designs.
Why Holo audio doesn´t have a webpage to see and ask about all these questions? Spending 2000-60000$ in a product that only have info about them at distributors pages is just strange. They are in the market for a few years now and it´s very strange they doesn´t have a webpage and only gives support (downloads, tech support, etc) through it´s distributors network.

Feb 2, 2022 at 9:49 AM Post #442 of 1,228
Why Holo audio doesn´t have a webpage to see and ask about all these questions? Spending 2000-60000$ in a product that only have info about them at distributors pages is just strange. They are in the market for a few years now and it´s very strange they doesn´t have a webpage and only gives support (downloads, tech support, etc) through it´s distributors network.

Maybe this snippet gives you an idea of why they are working like this:
Jeff Zhu told me that he never set out to create a large, complex company that would be tiresome to manage. As an engineer, he just wants to develop interesting products that sound incredible. So Holo Audio uses a non-traditional distribution method around the world and has limited sales and marketing resources – so consumers are paying mostly for the design and quality of the products. That philosophy may attract consumers or make them cautious.
Just read that a few days ago in the Stereonet review of the May. You can read that here if you'd like.

I can respect someone just sticking to his trade - designing audio products - instead of trying to build up a large company. As long as the distributors are doing a good job of supporting their customers, I think that's an okay business model. It has it's pro's and cons.

Feb 4, 2022 at 1:17 PM Post #443 of 1,228
Maybe this snippet gives you an idea of why they are working like this:

Just read that a few days ago in the Stereonet review of the May. You can read that here if you'd like.

I can respect someone just sticking to his trade - designing audio products - instead of trying to build up a large company. As long as the distributors are doing a good job of supporting their customers, I think that's an okay business model. It has it's pro's and cons.
I can relate to that point of view. One can start a business because it's fun but the fun can stop once it grows past a certain stage and the founder's focus has to shift to administration. Or you can figure out delegation and bringing in the right talent to balance your strengths early, I suppose.

Apr 2, 2022 at 12:13 PM Post #447 of 1,228
oh, sorry I dont have any clues on shipping times for you then. I myself tried to contact Kitsune 3 weeks ago and never got a reply. Oh wait, I did get an automated one saying that a real reply should be expected (or not, really, in which case I should keep trying) in 4-10 business days. Because of too much inquires. I can only assume they are receiving some thousands of inquires per week, good for them!

BTW magna-hifi and wildism in Europe/HK both kindly replied within hours and had the Spring basically ready to ship and the May would be ready in few weeks time. I do recognize such estimates are very dynamic as I was checking this for a few months while considering options.

Apr 7, 2022 at 2:57 PM Post #448 of 1,228

Users who are viewing this thread

Back