Holo Audio May DAC Speculation
May 9, 2021 at 2:19 PM Post #166 of 1,232
Considering how transducers are a big part of the equation, I wonder if I should narrow down that choice first
Can't commend on May directly, but can at least share my experience with you. Over the years, I have had systems worth 1k, 2k, 5k, 10k, 15k. I always tried to match the transducer with similarly tiered DAC and AMP, but every time I upgraded to a higher budget tier, the most difference I heard from the transducer change. For my ears, the second were DAC differences, and then AMP differences. The last part is a bit skewed, as my previous amp was always able to drive the next budget tier, but one thing is for sure, I upgrade transducers first.

May 9, 2021 at 3:03 PM Post #167 of 1,232
I have yet to order the May, but with the chip shortage, I figure I have time to look at pairings. It's so subjective, I know, depends on the ear of the listener. I do like to get feedback from others since I can't actually hear any of these choices in DACs, amps and headphones. By what you feed it, do you mean the source material? For me that's wav files on a computer. What appeals to me greatly about the May is its ability to extract the utmost out of 16/44.1 files. Considering how transducers are a big part of the equation, I wonder if I should narrow down that choice first. It's just that in my experience, even relatively inexpensive headphones can be very revealing and musical given a lossless source and good R2R DAC. So that's led me down the path of choosing a DAC, then amp, then I can explore transducers that reveal all the details up the chain.
Many paths up the mountain...
Sure most in this hobby would always start with choosing the sound they like with speakers or in this case headphones then find a happy well suited marriage between the transducer and amplification .
The source and source material play a big part in the equation .

May 9, 2021 at 5:31 PM Post #168 of 1,232
Can't commend on May directly, but can at least share my experience with you. Over the years, I have had systems worth 1k, 2k, 5k, 10k, 15k. I always tried to match the transducer with similarly tiered DAC and AMP, but every time I upgraded to a higher budget tier, the most difference I heard from the transducer change. For my ears, the second were DAC differences, and then AMP differences. The last part is a bit skewed, as my previous amp was always able to drive the next budget tier, but one thing is for sure, I upgrade transducers first.
Thank you. That does make sense, that if your headphones aren't revealing enough, you'd be harder pressed to notice differences in the other parts of the chain. That's the black hole of audio nirvana I suppose. As you upgrade one part of the signal path, it can reveal problems in other areas, and perhaps why you see so much used equipment out there. In this next upgrade, I'm trying to put more of the pieces together to save the expense of trial and error, as best I can. I think I may need to consider transducers in this now as well. Wouldn't it be cool if someone made a business of marketing package systems or recommendations, different tiers of performance, based on different sonic characteristics. Some reviewers attempt this, but often the focus seems to be just the latest flavor of the month, looking at parts of the chain separately rather than looking holistically. Hmmm, I smell opportunity knocking. Or is that something burning in the kitchen...

May 9, 2021 at 5:52 PM Post #169 of 1,232
Sure most in this hobby would always start with choosing the sound they like with speakers or in this case headphones then find a happy well suited marriage between the transducer and amplification .
The source and source material play a big part in the equation .
Indeed. I see that as well... This may be another topic, but I've been reading about software upsampling, the M Scaler, and such... That's taking source to the next level. I've experimented with creating various audio files from 16/44.1 sources though Audacity in software. I finally settled on converting to 32bit at 48kHz, seems to have the best presence and SQ, while keeping the file size to double the original. It does some kind of mojo on the music. Hard drive space is cheap. But I wonder when I upgrade to the May, whether my original 16/44.1 files will sound the best. Time will tell... Marriage is a good word for it. Just like when I go to a Chinese restaurant, all I want is a Happy Family.

May 9, 2021 at 6:29 PM Post #170 of 1,232
Indeed. I see that as well... This may be another topic, but I've been reading about software upsampling, the M Scaler, and such... That's taking source to the next level. I've experimented with creating various audio files from 16/44.1 sources though Audacity in software. I finally settled on converting to 32bit at 48kHz, seems to have the best presence and SQ, while keeping the file size to double the original. It does some kind of mojo on the music. Hard drive space is cheap. But I wonder when I upgrade to the May, whether my original 16/44.1 files will sound the best. Time will tell... Marriage is a good word for it. Just like when I go to a Chinese restaurant, all I want is a Happy Family.
I understand,....my wife is a professional studio vocalist and I have on hand files from one of the recording studios she dealt with , The studio was renovated with an expansion and they wanted mic checks with a couple really cool modified vintage mic’s they just got back .
There’s nothing like someones voice you know intimately to evaluate a home stereo , sure I use a number of other great recordings for evaluating also.

Anyway I have to mention the May KTE dac , I’ve been giving it a good solid listen to ,.,,.It’s killer with a capital “K“

Attachments

• 1F3760B4-69DB-4776-B0B6-8FAEECADDE27.jpeg
    1F3760B4-69DB-4776-B0B6-8FAEECADDE27.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
May 10, 2021 at 1:44 PM Post #171 of 1,232
I understand,....my wife is a professional studio vocalist and I have on hand files from one of the recording studios she dealt with , The studio was renovated with an expansion and they wanted mic checks with a couple really cool modified vintage mic’s they just got back .
There’s nothing like someones voice you know intimately to evaluate a home stereo , sure I use a number of other great recordings for evaluating also.

Anyway I have to mention the May KTE dac , I’ve been giving it a good solid listen to ,.,,.It’s killer with a capital “K“
Wunderbar! I see you've paired the May with the Aries amp. That's one amp that I've seen highly praised, but it's just a bit out of reach for me. The quest continues for an amp that gets out of the way, let's the music sing, as much as the May does. Truth is, I'd probably be very happy with any of the amps in the list, but I enjoy hearing about others experiences. It's a shared journey...

May 10, 2021 at 2:02 PM Post #172 of 1,232
Wunderbar! I see you've paired the May with the Aries amp. That's one amp that I've seen highly praised, but it's just a bit out of reach for me. The quest continues for an amp that gets out of the way, let's the music sing, as much as the May does. Truth is, I'd probably be very happy with any of the amps in the list, but I enjoy hearing about others experiences. It's a shared journey...
Actually a marriage made in heaven between the priporitory USB output design in the Evo server to another sensational priporitory designed USB section of the May dac to this incredibly transparent Sparkos Lab preamplifier puts a 1000 yard stare on my face occasionally.,..

May 11, 2021 at 8:59 PM Post #173 of 1,232
Actually a marriage made in heaven between the priporitory USB output design in the Evo server to another sensational priporitory designed USB section of the May dac to this incredibly transparent Sparkos Lab preamplifier puts a 1000 yard stare on my face occasionally.,..
Sounds like audio nirvana... Can you describe the qualities of the sound that you hear with this combo? What qualities are most important to you?

May 11, 2021 at 11:18 PM Post #174 of 1,232
Sounds like audio nirvana... Can you describe the qualities of the sound that you hear with this combo? What qualities are most important to you?
Transparency is up there on my list but it’s not for everyone for a verity of reasons , For me there has to be a sense of life with playback with a living presence for me to enjoy it most and above all it all begins with a great recording.
For sure if you find playback of certain music effects you emotionally that is a good sign and that is what I found with the 432 Evo Aeon server and the Holo KTE dac .

May 12, 2021 at 5:32 PM Post #175 of 1,232
Transparency is up there on my list but it’s not for everyone for a verity of reasons , For me there has to be a sense of life with playback with a living presence for me to enjoy it most and above all it all begins with a great recording.
For sure if you find playback of certain music effects you emotionally that is a good sign and that is what I found with the 432 Evo Aeon server and the Holo KTE dac .
Thank you. That's been my experience as well. I look for a balance of transparency or clarity, with presence or soundstage, and most importantly for me, the feeling or emotionality of the music and musicians is key. I go to a live Symphony or concert because I get all of those aspects in a live performance. For those that value absolute transparency, there are systems that go in that direction. To each their own, no right or wrong in this, just preferences. Enjoy the Zen that the May and your system provides you!

May 12, 2021 at 6:26 PM Post #176 of 1,232
Based on my positive experience with the Holo Spring I KTE DAC, I just placed an order for the May KTE. I did briefly consider the Wells Audio Cipher DAC instead, but the opportunity to trade in my original Spring towards the May purchase was too tempting and shaved enough off the price to make it seem almost reasonable. :wink: Hopefully it won't be a long six weeks (as opposed to a short six weeks) until I have it in my possession. Lesson learned: keep all leftover audiophile packaging in the spare closet, in case of trade-in opportunities.

Last edited:
May 12, 2021 at 6:41 PM Post #177 of 1,232
Based on my positive experience with the Holo Spring I KTE DAC, I just placed an order for the May KTE. I did briefly consider the Wells Audio Cipher DAC instead, but the opportunity to trade in my original Spring towards the May purchase was too tempting and shaved enough off the price to make it seem almost reasonable. :wink: Hopefully it won't be a long six weeks (as opposed to a short six weeks) until I have it in my possession. Lesson learned: keep all leftover audiophile packaging in the spare closet, in case of trade-in opportunities.
I always keep my boxes. It helps a lot with resale value

May 12, 2021 at 7:45 PM Post #178 of 1,232
I always keep my boxes. It helps a lot with resale value
But do you live in a 1000 square foot apartment? Not a lot of storage space. :)

May 12, 2021 at 8:09 PM Post #179 of 1,232
But do you live in a 1000 square foot apartment? Not a lot of storage space. :)
Haha, you are pretty limited there my friend!

May 16, 2021 at 9:51 AM Post #180 of 1,232
I am strongly considering the MAY. My amp doesn't have volume control. I don't see anything on their website, but it looks like the remote has volume on it. Will this thing work as a full preamp?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back