Hollywood's message to the world - go back to the movies
Mar 6, 2006 at 4:39 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 61

virometal

Headphoneus Supremus
Looks like the powers in tinsel town are feeling the heat. During the Academy Awards, there were four scripted references to superiority of the theater experience over home viewing.

The sets for the show contained theater props with trade poster displays, ticket booths, and a giant cinema size screen over the stage.

Poor poor Hollywood. What will all those rich people ever do?
rolleyes.gif

Mar 6, 2006 at 4:49 AM Post #3 of 61
I despise the sound and video quality of theaters, as well as the insane cost. But my biggest beef is that whenever I go, there's an 80% chance I'll have to deal with racists, skinheads, weirdos, or outright arses. They always ruin my day/night. This crud happens more than not.

Mar 6, 2006 at 4:51 AM Post #4 of 61
Quote:

Originally Posted by virometal
Looks like the powers in tinsel town are feeling the heat. During the Academy Awards, there were four scripted references to superiority of the theater experience over home viewing.

The sets for the show contained theater props with trade poster displays, ticket booths, and a giant cinema size screen over the stage.

Poor poor Hollywood. What will all those rich people ever do?
rolleyes.gif

LOL... I noticed that too... so why do they push DVDs so hard, and why have the prices on DVDs dropped so low?

P.S. Most boring Oscars EVAH. Seriously, I want those 3 1/2 hours of my life back.
confused.gif

Mar 6, 2006 at 5:34 AM Post #7 of 61
360 Mafia was ANNOYING!!!

Mar 6, 2006 at 5:36 AM Post #8 of 61
Quote:

Originally Posted by MrSlacker
360 Mafia was ANNOYING!!!

Agreed... there was not a single good musical number IMO, everything about these Oscars was either annoying or boring (mostly boring).

Sorry to whine after I berated some folks for complaining about the Olympics, but really... this was just dull as an 18th century hacksaw blade (I guess it didn't help that I haven't seen a single one of the nominated films).

Mar 6, 2006 at 5:41 AM Post #9 of 61
For one award, I forgot if it's original screenplay or adapted screenplay, one of the two people on the stage never had a chance to speak. Basically what happened was that the first guy accepting the awards said "thank you" then the light dimmed, then the second guy came to the microphone with the music playing (apparently the mic had been shut off already), and audience was reaching their arms out and pointing at the stage.

Mar 6, 2006 at 5:57 AM Post #10 of 61
Quote:

Originally Posted by JahJahBinks
I enjoy watching movie in a theatre full of audience, I like that atmosphere.

I agree. I also prefer the viewing atmosphere of a packed theater. However, I wish ticket prices and concessions would come down -- fat chance those things will ever happen but one can wish.

Having said that, the home viewing experience has reached a point where it's a rather satisfactory replacement experience. It's not as good but good enough that I can some times live with having missed certain pictures in the theater.

Mar 6, 2006 at 6:05 AM Post #11 of 61
I agree, the obvious over-support of the "theatre experience" made them appear desperate. An ancient Mickey Rooney nodding along in agreement didn't help their case either, IMO.

Jon Stewart saved the night for me, although I think his honest barbs towards the Best Song choice and the pretentiousness of the entire affair will prevent him from being asked back.

Mar 6, 2006 at 6:16 AM Post #12 of 61
I'm just ecstatic over the fact that "Crash" won for Best Picture!
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

Although I thought Michelle Williams should have won Best Supporting Actress
frown.gif

Mar 6, 2006 at 6:21 AM Post #13 of 61
Quote:

Originally Posted by mbriant
I agree, the obvious over-support of the "theatre experience" made them appear desperate. An ancient Mickey Rooney nodding along in agreement didn't help their case either, IMO.

Maybe if movie theaters reduced their costs to something reasonable, they would actually have a case. They're going to have to anyway if they want to compete with 5.1 surround and big screen TVs in the home. Particularly once HDTV catches on.

Mar 6, 2006 at 6:27 AM Post #15 of 61
Wow, maybe I'm in the minority, but even with a pretty nice home theater setup, I've always preferred the movie theater by a significant margin. Tho I do admit being rather puzzled by the "theater's better than dvd" statements on the Oscar presentations.

Best,

-Jason

Users who are viewing this thread

Back