Hollywood the Final Insult: "The Departed" vs "Infernal Affairs"
May 19, 2007 at 5:07 AM Post #16 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by Orpheus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i mean this respectfully.... but you're kidding right!? andy just has "lame" written all over him. one of the worst actors i've seen. everytime i see him, in a movie, concert, interview, whatever, he just seems totally "gay" (i don't know how else to call it--i don't mean his sexual disposition)......... partly nice guy?--no, he's too full of himself. partly evil?--"evil" is the last thing i think of when i see him. "likeable" well, maybe i guess, just cause everyone is likeable by someone out there.

movie is good. i hate remakes in general. i didn't watch infernal affairs in its entirety. might be good, i dunno. but i do know i liked the departed, which means the original story was pretty good. but i do think that they should indicate it was a remake of the original hong kong / chinese film... otherwise the american public would never know. especially for a movie that won awards.

i suppose my problem with your attenuation of constable lau or andy as the actor is what is gay about him? his killer films he has been in were too over the top or dramatic and tried to add depth into something completely that is not understandable to non-killers but this movie he was unreadable. he is good, bad and somewhat confused. he was very natural, not uptight and handled the scenes very well though i don't understand cantonese - from a body language perspective - he is respectable.

both boy actors in the departed were just puppets, with arms and mouth flailing all over. i have never scene anyone ever talk like that and i have been all over and in very many circumstances. it was totally unbelievable. to me, they came across too much like animals - pure emotion with no governance.

if that is what is considered exploration of masculinity, i want no such part. i'd rather be considered 'gay' than be a monkey.

finally, i speak english fluently but my type is poor. it is a language that i grew up with - from british english in my international school in sweden to american english from when i was 10 - 15 and then canadian english and australian when i turned 20-21. what language were they speaking? why was there the need to just shout, curse and yell at every opportunity? it made no sense. words lose meaning that way when used in context, out of context and all the time. it was just a blur that i cannot fathom. the writers i am sure might have been young and or hadn't imagination to give the characters a different way of presentation. everyone seemed to talk the same and act the same except for the talented mr riply and the crazy stephen king man.

anyway, just another film to cross from my list.

on another note, my gf saw infernal affairs recently and did not like it. she did not like that the plot was left unfinished and left too much to guess. it could be that the subtitles went too quickly and were hard to follow - i have seen the film 5 or 6 times so i can follow it.

im glad the plot was not plugged in every section with heaps of lead-ins and background to make sure that anyone and their dead pet squirrel is able to understand. anyway... bedtime

May 19, 2007 at 6:18 AM Post #17 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by shigzeo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
finally, i speak english fluently but my type is poor. it is a language that i grew up with - from british english in my international school in sweden to american english from when i was 10 - 15 and then canadian english and australian when i turned 20-21. what language were they speaking? why was there the need to just shout, curse and yell at every opportunity? it made no sense. words lose meaning that way when used in context, out of context and all the time. it was just a blur that i cannot fathom. the writers i am sure might have been young and or hadn't imagination to give the characters a different way of presentation. everyone seemed to talk the same and act the same except for the talented mr riply and the crazy stephen king man.

Hmmmm, since you have such an obvious grasp of the language, I'll have to reconsider my previous theories on the subject. You know, now that you mention it, macho posturing through screaming, intermixed with racial epithets, does seem really out of place in such a gentlemanly work setting as the police force. And it's doubly so in such a historically peaceful and racially harmonious city as Boston. 110% not realistic (and of course it couldn't be anything but, right?)! Those young (well all over 40 if you looked it up) writers with no imagination should probably have studied the language abroad. As it is they just typed nonsensical jibberish. Thank god the "geezer from Titanic" and the "talented mr riply and the crazy stephen king man" (damn you crack me up with that wit) along with that guy who made that movie about the taxi driver (what was it called again? zzzing!), was able to rescue something out of the linguistic mess.

And has anyone written Basic Pictures/Media Asia Films to let them know about that typo?

May 19, 2007 at 6:58 AM Post #18 of 22
I much preferred Infernal Affairs over The Departed. Has anyone here seen Confession of Pain with Tony Leung and Takashi Kaneshiro? Supposedly a Hollywood remake was announced, with Leonardo Dicaprio's production company producing the film..."sigh"
rolleyes.gif

May 20, 2007 at 12:52 AM Post #19 of 22
well to each his own. i just reckon - it is another of a heap of movies i can throw all together! i have checked out the cool thread you made but am still trying to think of 10 movies i have liked. you see, im not much a movie person that is why it is quite hard to get me to budge to like a film.

the language issue is basically - no matter where i have been, movies are worse than real life - as if the producers want us to begin to sound more like their idea of the perfect criminal or perfect good human or the perfect this... it is all spacial categorisation that bothers me.

a guys movie is language, sex and violence and to explore the masculine soul, the more the better. that i heartily disagree with. haha, i did not bother to look up the writers - only if i really felt it was needed. they may be 40, but they have the creativity in script of a grade 8 or so.

i will think of 9 more movies (I have one already!).

May 20, 2007 at 1:55 AM Post #20 of 22
blessingx > shigzeo

I think blessingx may have already punched a hole through his cheek with his tongue.

I rewatched The Departed recently after a decent, but not excited review, and realized how much more I liked the film. I still haven't seen Internal Affairs, though I do plan on it in the future.

May 20, 2007 at 9:49 PM Post #22 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by shigzeo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i suppose my problem with your attenuation of constable lau or andy as the actor is what is gay about him? his killer films he has been in were too over the top or dramatic and tried to add depth into something completely that is not understandable to non-killers but this movie he was unreadable. he is good, bad and somewhat confused. he was very natural, not uptight and handled the scenes very well though i don't understand cantonese - from a body language perspective - he is respectable.

both boy actors in the departed were just puppets, with arms and mouth flailing all over. i have never scene anyone ever talk like that and i have been all over and in very many circumstances. it was totally unbelievable. to me, they came across too much like animals - pure emotion with no governance.

if that is what is considered exploration of masculinity, i want no such part. i'd rather be considered 'gay' than be a monkey.

anyway, just another film to cross from my list.

on another note, my gf saw infernal affairs recently and did not like it. she did not like that the plot was left unfinished and left too much to guess. it could be that the subtitles went too quickly and were hard to follow - i have seen the film 5 or 6 times so i can follow it.

im glad the plot was not plugged in every section with heaps of lead-ins and background to make sure that anyone and their dead pet squirrel is able to understand. anyway... bedtime

well, gay is a really loose term, and means many different things. i suppose a more suitable word would be "lame." he does lack masculinity, but then again, all Hong Kong / Chinese actors seem quite gay, especially in interviews. and their TV shows are over-the-top gay. but i meant more than that... and i'm still have a lack of words to describe it. i guess he just sucks?

someday i might watch the whole infernal affairs... but probably not. i rented a video 2 weeks ago to watch with a date. she finished it without me, and i still have yet to watch it--and it's like 1 week overdue. so... probably not. i also watched him in that one martial arts hong kong fighting movie that was in the US about a year ago. forgot what it was called. same andy lau i knew. his music sucks too--more than sucks. but hey, maybe i'm biased. probably actually.

anyway, infernal affairs does sound like a good movie, andy lau aside. maybe i'll find some day to watch it--maybe i'll see andy in a different light. but i will say this... when i watched departed, i thought it was pretty good. maybe it's just a different movie than infernal affairs?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back