Hmmm.. Westone 1 disapoointment.
Jan 14, 2010 at 5:55 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

ben4345

100+ Head-Fier
I just got my W1's today, I am already feeling like I made a mistake.
I really really really like the fit, they are by far the most comfortable IEM's I have ever worn! I can even lay on my side.
But I feel the overall SQ is lacking, big time. I get reasonably good bass but somewhat muddy, the mids seems a bit muffled and the highs are non existent with out some EQ. The sound stage is flat out disappointing, it feels like I was place right in front of the performance in a room that has a tiny stage in a medium sized room.
Basically they kind of sound like really good $20 pair ear buds with really good fit and isolation.
Using the foam ear pieces improves the sound a bit.
I have compared them to my old shure E2c, and just sound too small and flat. I am not a "colored" earphone guy either. I have had the UE super fi 5 pros for about 1 year now (maybe more). But often have to take them out less than an 1 hour because I find the sound fatiguing and just uncomfortable.

I am not sure if I should give it more time for myself to adjust. Or do you think the W2's would be the solution? I really love how they feel! And the W2 are suppose fit the same.
Opinions, comments, question. Thanks in advance.

BTW, hello everyone, long time lurker. First time posting.
L3000.gif

I have tried 2 cowon players, S9 a G2, and my Dell laptop.

Jan 14, 2010 at 6:52 AM Post #2 of 9
starting the first post mean start losing money to all these audio manufacturer thanks to all the devil's advocate here. for more information please check the W2 thread. it seems like the reviews there are positive and personally I order one based on it. hopefully it will be good.

Jan 14, 2010 at 7:50 AM Post #3 of 9
I would say try other tips and see if sound changes. How do you think the Super Fi 5 Pro is "coloured"?

Jan 14, 2010 at 9:55 AM Post #4 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hsiu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
starting the first post mean start losing money to all these audio manufacturer thanks to all the devil's advocate here. for more information please check the W2 thread. it seems like the reviews there are positive and personally I order one based on it. hopefully it will be good.

I will do that, despite one of the facts is that I went with the W1's after reading some reviews here.
redface.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by Modifiedz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I would say try other tips and see if sound changes. How do you think the Super Fi 5 Pro is "coloured"?

I have and did note that the foam pieces do improve the sound slightly.
The UE's are not super coloured, but they are just enough for me to feel fatiguing.

Jan 14, 2010 at 10:07 AM Post #5 of 9
Try to use it for a few days and see if you can adjust to the sound. If W1 sounds anything like the UM1 I had, the midrange is pretty much the only strength. It may sound "thick" but I got used to it.

Jan 14, 2010 at 11:26 AM Post #6 of 9
Heck, if you can afford, yes, go for W2.

I have had Super Fi Pro and SQ'wise, I prefer W2 mainly because it sounds more refined/smoother. I always found SFP a tad harsh.

Jan 15, 2010 at 9:54 AM Post #7 of 9
Small update:
As I they're worse than my Shure e2c's, so got me wondering...
I then put my players stock ear-buds (you know, the crappy ones) in my ears and guess what? The mids and highs sound so much better! I am not being harsh either.
Long story, short, I contacted Westone and they ask for me to send the W1's to them fedex. They're curious and I am too, I sent it to Westone to inspect.
I also contacted the reseller, they too, said they should sound noticeably better than the E2c/SCL2.
frown.gif

I will update this thread when I get more news.

Jan 15, 2010 at 6:26 PM Post #9 of 9
give it more time.. i had the same initial impressions - thought it was just too stuffy and muddy. but after giving it a few days of listening, things seemed to open up and bass tighten up.. also if you have or can get your hands on some olives, try them out as i found them to be better than any of the tips that came with the W1

and to comment on the post by kite7 - the UM1 and W1 defintily have different sound sig, imo.

but i definitely agree with spyro - if you can afford it - go and get the W2's.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back