HM5 vs Takstar Pro 80?
May 15, 2015 at 5:00 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

theuprising

100+ Head-Fier
The last similar thread got derailed, and didn't even get to a conclusion, so I'm starting it up. This includes all the clones of the HM5 and Pro 80's, obviously.

I own the pro-80's and am thinking of buying the HM5's and returning the Pro 80's to amazon. As far as I can tell:

Pro 80
+overall more clarity in all frequencies.
+nice bass extension
-not neutral with sub-bass boost
-intimate soundstage

HM5
+HUGE closed soundstage and good instrument separation
+good treble and bass extension
-not neutral with recessed mid-bass
-not the most clear headphone

Most reviews find the HM5 to have lacking bass, and I don't listen to hip hop, but I do watch movies and listen to classical music where having bass is pretty important. I'm fine with using EQ as long as it doesn't produce any distortion, and it seems the HM5 doesn't. What would I really be missing by trading in the Pro 80's? I enjoy the sub bass rumble, but the HM5 is said to have decent sub-bass as well, which can be EQ'ed up if needed.

Lets just pretend for comfort + other perks are non factors for now, because yes HM5 wins in comfort and Pro 80 wins in build quality.

May 15, 2015 at 5:20 PM Post #2 of 5
I own the HM5 and Gemini HSR-1000 (Takstar Pro 80), I would much rather use my Gemini's over the HM5.
The HM5's bass has no feel (thump) to it and I find their grip on the head a little overbearing.
So i find the Geminis more comfortable to wear.

What sources do you plug the Takstar's into (on-board audio, sound card, external amp, smartphone, iPod, etc)?

May 15, 2015 at 8:09 PM Post #3 of 5
As far as I can tell:

HM5
+HUGE closed soundstage and good instrument separation
+good treble and bass extension
-not neutral with recessed mid-bass
-not the most clear headphone

Most reviews find the HM5 to have lacking bass, and I don't listen to hip hop, but I do watch movies and listen to classical music where having bass is pretty important.

XPT100 / HM5 is one of the few closed phones I'm willing to recommend. (Most of them have small earpads: that's an automatic failure.) I haven't heard Pro 80 yet, so I can't say which is better.

In response to your points:

1. Soundstage size is good but less precise than better phones.
  2. There's some roll off on the lowest bass, but not so bad as most dynamics.
  3. The recess is in the mids, not the mid-bass. The dip in the mids can be partly fixed by damping the cups. See http://www.head-fi.org/t/615030/unleash-the-full-potential-of-your-brainwavz-hm5-or-fa-003-with-mods. I felt that the mod brought up the low bass and improved the bass-mids transition.
  4. I don't take issue with the clarity.
  5. The bass is neither accentuated nor lacking.

I recommend shelving the lower treble by taping a circular piece of felt in front of the center of the driver; otherwise, it sounds slightly aggressive.

Best luck!

May 15, 2015 at 8:42 PM Post #4 of 5
@PurpleAngel, Did some tests on the Pro 80 and yes the FR graph is right, there is a HUGE drop at 4khz, unforgivable almost, I'll see if it distorts if I EQ it up. Atm I'm just using a Realtek HD soundcard, that's alright enough to play at 24 bits 192k at least.

@Claritas
http://en.goldenears.net/15167 Hmm looks like a dip at 300 hz and a treble roll off.

Would you feel the bass is acceptable for cinematic scores and movies? Since most reviews almost unanimously say it is too bass light for their tastes, or even "honky". Well I guess movie theater speakers probably aren't neutral in the first place. But lets say a real life orchestra, do you feel there's enough bass to do it justice? Thanks ahead of time!

May 15, 2015 at 9:09 PM Post #5 of 5
Hmm looks like a dip at 300 hz and a treble roll off.

Would you feel the bass is acceptable for cinematic scores and movies? Since most reviews almost unanimously say it is too bass light for their tastes, or even "honky". Well I guess movie theater speakers probably aren't neutral in the first place. But lets say a real life orchestra, do you feel there's enough bass to do it justice? Thanks ahead of time!

The honkiness is caused by that dip. Seen here too: http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/NVXXPT100FlatPads.pdf

I wouldn't characterize it as bass light: it isn't bassy and people are used to more bass nowadays. It didn't bother me, but I can't tell you if it would be good enough. You can find more measurements of both if you google "cheap headphone comparo extravaganza". That's a useful thread in this context.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back