HM-901
Aug 21, 2013 at 8:13 PM Post #1,607 of 3,522
901 is not 901 w/o the balanced amp module imo.

I disagree. I actually prefer single ended output on some of my phones. The balanced makes the mids less prominent although it does give you more air and a better soundstage.

Aug 21, 2013 at 8:45 PM Post #1,609 of 3,522
I disagree. I actually prefer single ended output on some of my phones. The balanced makes the mids less prominent although it does give you more air and a better soundstage.
That effect on the mids that you mention is due the reduction of crosstalk (the mix of the signal of both channels). It's kinda tricky cos the crosstalk is undesirable but in some way reduce the super stereo effect (that's the reason for the crossfeed circuits, reduce de super stereo effect and reduce the listening fatigue). You should made AB comparison balanced vs SE, with the headphones that you prefer in SE, with some good binaural recording, recordings made to be heard on headphones and without super stereo effect.

Aug 21, 2013 at 9:00 PM Post #1,611 of 3,522
That effect on the mids that you mention is due the reduction of crosstalk (the mix of the signal of both channels). It's kinda tricky cos the crosstalk is undesirable but in some way reduce the super stereo effect (that's the reason for the crossfeed circuits, reduce de super stereo effect and reduce the listening fatigue). You should made AB comparison balanced vs SE, with the headphones that you prefer in SE, with some good binaural recording, recordings made to be heard on headphones and without super stereo effect.

Interesting, ill try it. Ill be surprised if my typical music can be found in this format though.

Aug 21, 2013 at 9:12 PM Post #1,612 of 3,522
Should we take into consideration that the balanced mode was made for TRRS as well?
Not exactly. Balanced mode uses an special connector (in this case trrs) cos you have separated negative poles for each channel, in SE mode the negative pole is common. So in SE mode there's interaction between the channels cos they share the same negative pole. In balanced there's no interaction, or minimal, cos the poles are independent. But in order to run balanced you need the balanced structure from the amplifier, in this case de card amp. What I'm saying it's that in balanced mode, cos the signal is independent on each channel, the super stereo effect is more prominent.

Aug 21, 2013 at 9:49 PM Post #1,613 of 3,522
Is the DAC to amp circuitry in the hm901 also balanced?

Aug 22, 2013 at 1:51 AM Post #1,615 of 3,522
Quote:

I'm referring to the amp card... The mids and low-end is much more prominent with the balanced amp card than the stock one imo.

Aug 22, 2013 at 2:01 AM Post #1,616 of 3,522
Quote:
I'm referring to the amp card... The mids and low-end is much more prominent with the balanced amp card than the stock one imo.

I think that Jetl it's talking about the difference between running SE mode on the balanced amp card and running balanced mode on the balanced amp card, not the difference between the stock amp card and the balanced one. Am I right Jetl?

Aug 22, 2013 at 8:47 AM Post #1,618 of 3,522
Just found out that HM-901 doesn't show what song it is currently playing in the folder view. It's really a pain in the neck when I have a lot of songs to scroll through and not knowing which in particular it is playing...

Aug 22, 2013 at 9:00 AM Post #1,619 of 3,522
Just found out that HM-901 doesn't show what song it is currently playing in the folder view. It's really a pain in the neck when I have a lot of songs to scroll through and not knowing which in particular it is playing...

The 901s is an incompleted product from HIFIMAN imo. I would rather choose the AK120 for its better UI, quality control and battery life. As the 901s and ak120 both have wonderful SQ. changing the headphone / IEM would be easier to get better improvement. :)

Aug 22, 2013 at 9:09 AM Post #1,620 of 3,522

I have reported that as well (and several UI improvements). They are working on it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back