HM-901
Sep 9, 2014 at 5:21 AM Post #3,091 of 3,522
Where 
Where can I get the discrete card? Anyways I do not have any 3.5mm TRRS cabled IEM so will it make sense to get the balanced card?

It's a DIY card from China.

Probably not. For myself, SE output for iems is much better on the iem amp card generally.

Sep 10, 2014 at 1:31 PM Post #3,092 of 3,522
  Where 
Where can I get the discrete card? Anyways I do not have any 3.5mm TRRS cabled IEM so will it make sense to get the balanced card?

Like what Kiats said. No point getting the balanced card if you're not gonna reterminate your cable into TRRS. Balanced SE is an obvious level below Balanced running balanced or the IEM card SE. 

Sep 10, 2014 at 8:11 PM Post #3,093 of 3,522
Like what Kiats said. No point getting the balanced card if you're not gonna reterminate your cable into TRRS. Balanced SE is an obvious level below Balanced running balanced or the IEM card SE

Imo balanced card SE performs differently but at a similar level to IEM card SE. Between these two use case, benefit of iem card is finer volume control and more refined sound while benefit of balanced card se is higher power and wider soundstage.

After all it is not that difficult or costly to reterminate into TRRS and even using a stock UE replacement cable in TRRS balanced ith balanced card gave me magnitudes more benefit in SQ over my most expensive cable in SE for say my tg334 or jh13fp.

Sep 10, 2014 at 8:39 PM Post #3,094 of 3,522
Imo balanced card SE performs differently but at a similar level to IEM card SE. Between these two use case, benefit of iem card is finer volume control and more refined sound while benefit of balanced card se is higher power and wider soundstage.

After all it is not that difficult or costly to reterminate into TRRS and even using a stock UE replacement cable in TRRS balanced ith balanced card gave me magnitudes more benefit in SQ over my most expensive cable in SE for say my tg334 or jh13fp.

At the end of the day, it really depends on what you are looking for: which quality do you cherish more? That will help determine which amp card you choose.

Agree with Vince that with most IEMs, getting  a TRRS cable is not difficult or expensive. 

At the end of the day, the best thing to do is to ponder what you desire and then have a listen. Then your decision will not be difficult. 
atsmile.gif

Sep 10, 2014 at 9:29 PM Post #3,095 of 3,522
At the end of the day, it really depends on what you are looking for: which quality do you cherish more? That will help determine which amp card you choose.

Agree with Vince that with most IEMs, getting  a TRRS cable is not difficult or expensive. 

At the end of the day, the best thing to do is to ponder what you desire and then have a listen. Then your decision will not be difficult. :atsmile:
I might need to look at getting a trrs terminated cable for my fx850 woodies.

Sep 11, 2014 at 2:41 AM Post #3,096 of 3,522
I prefer the balanced card sound on all my iems and sold the iem card. And it sounds very good in SE mode. Reterminating cables and using in balanced mode brought limited (if any) improvement on my iems, but also brought a lot of hassle with adapters when using other DAPs, and several unsellable cables...so I see things slightly differently.

I did solve the whole problem by getting a discrete card that suits me perfectly for all iems.

But even with the RWAK240 I am not sure I want to get balanced cables because I find it costly and complicated. I'd rather listen to music than wonder which cable / adapter goes where.

Sep 11, 2014 at 9:57 AM Post #3,097 of 3,522
So I've had the 901 for some weeks now, I've listened to a bunch of things, both normal 320k MP3 and some high res stuff mostly from HDtracks. 

It's not the best option for poor quality masterings (sadly a lot of music suffers from this) but it's a long way from unlistenable, especially with the right cans and use of the 'vintage' switch.

For any good recording of any resolution it just sings - I'm using the standard classic card still, no plans to change it.  I also dropped plans to change my headphones, the combination of 901 + Denon 7100s sounds really nice to me - very smooth, lots of body and warmth.

I'm convinced this was absolutely the right choice of player, it's a huge leap above my Cowon X7, and much nicer to listen to than the AK240 which had also impressed me.  Ultimately the analogue/warm sound of the 901 just makes it a better long term companion despite the UI, battery life, etc.  A guy at work said it sounded like vinyl when I played him some Genesis, a huge compliment from him.

Cost was not factored into the decision, it's just a bonus.  Extremely happy overall despite the issues with getting a decent unit to begin with.

Sep 12, 2014 at 1:32 AM Post #3,100 of 3,522
I finally sold my minibox card using the local classified... I warned the buyer that the card is a little harsh sounding for iem, but he still bought it and reported back that its better sounding than the discrete card with the IE800...i guess we all hear things differently.
For me i am just gonna be faithful for bal card

Sep 12, 2014 at 1:34 AM Post #3,101 of 3,522
I finally sold my minibox card using the local classified... I warned the buyer that the card is a little harsh sounding for iem, but he still bought it and reported back that its better sounding than the discrete card with the IE800...i guess we all hear things differently.
For me i am just gonna be faithful for bal card
hard to find used balanced card

Sep 12, 2014 at 4:02 AM Post #3,103 of 3,522
PM me an offer. Have balanced cables too.

Wow, you're that happy with the Yellow Discrete that you're prepared to sell your Balanced amp module!? I'm not too certain if I'm ready to make that step yet personally.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back