Hiya
Sep 3, 2016 at 8:56 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

johnnyyukon

New Head-Fier
I guess my posting is limited as a total noob on here, so I'll start here (btw, what's the policy on that, one must post X amount, mod approved, then they can start threads?)   Sorry, bit confused, and yeah, I'm sure it's explained somewhere but was hoping someone could give me the quick and dirty.

ANYWAY!

So in college like 107 years ago, my buddy had these things called Sennheiser headphones and made me listen to some rich, bass heavy song.   I about crapped my pants.  The rest is history.

I've owned about 20 Sennheiser cans, though none under 200$, from the Gaming U-320s, 518s, G4ME Zero, others, and uh, about a dozen pairs of PX-100s/II-is.  The latter, probably bought first pair over a decade ago, they usually wear out around their 2 year warranty, or sooner as I abuse them whilst running or working out.

I even have my first circumaural pair from 1999 and they STILL sound great!   crazy.

Seems like a lot of folks on  here do not prefer the Game Zero (or however it's spelled, game one instead) but I have LOVED them for the sound, yes, gaming, yes, but I got the closed style because I use dictation software and there's virtually never any feedback.  

Anyway, I'm die hard Sennheiser.  Probably some fantastic or better cans, but Sennheiser has loved me so tenderly, how could I cheat on her???

I'm a bit of a bass head so the 518s are aweeeessommme.  It's been a bit of a challenge to up the bass on the Zeros when listening to music, but the e10k and/or home reciever and or dj software with butt kickin' eq control gets the bass up there.

I really wanted to ask a noob/stupid question, in a new thread, but I don't think I can start them yet.  I'll mention it here, but hopefully do it right later.....

I'm wanting a PORTABLE FiiO amp/dac (either or) that will power my 518s via an iPod Nano, 7th Generation AND iphone.   But even after a couple hours research, I'm still kind of confused.  

FiiO A1, Mont Blanc, A3, Alpen, Q1.  

They all look juicy and in my price range (120.00ish) but I'm overwhelmed.   It SEEMS that the A1 may be my only choice? or the A3?  

But the Q1 has stood out from everything I read, but still confused.  Like, it could work really well but I'd just need some adapters.  Help!

Bottom line, to use with my iPhone (5s) and iPod Nano, I'd prefer a portable dac/amp and would prefer something I can also use with my computer.

K, sorry for the rambling and if the mods want to like, cut/paste my fiiO quandry to the right place, please do.

Thanks, this forum has been a wealth of info!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back