History of the AKG K1000?
Jan 31, 2004 at 9:33 PM Post #16 of 341

Jazz1

1000+ Head-Fier
Joined
May 20, 2003
Posts
1,053
Likes
170
Quote:

Originally posted by Permonic
According to this article: "...it synthesizes the key ideas from the Stax SR-Sigma and the Jecklin Float into a single design..."

I found somewhere, that the parameters of Jecklin Float Model 1 are: 5Hz - 25kHz, 200 Ohm, weight 385g.

That's how Jecklin Float Model 2 looks like:

9111CMJEC-IMG-HP-JECKLIN-A1.jpg

(Source: http://www.audiocircuit.com/9111-esh...1CMJEC-PIC.htm )

This guy, Martin Duerrentmatt is a father of Jecklin Float:

ACFB1F7.jpg

(source: http://www.avguide.ch/index.cfm?show...BF08EB9E47B99A )

Also check this link to see the info about Ergo Headphones (from the same company).


This headphone looks like a prop from "The Fifth Element" movie
wink.gif
or maybe Dr. Who.
 
Jan 31, 2004 at 10:23 PM Post #17 of 341

Nigel

100+ Head-Fier
Joined
Feb 22, 2003
Posts
217
Likes
10
That picture is of a Jecklin Float electrostatic.
I have the mk2 Floats & they are a dynamic headphone that use exactly the same style headset.
 
Sep 30, 2012 at 6:50 AM Post #18 of 341

hrklg01

Member of the Trade: Mysphere
AKG K1000 developer
Joined
Sep 30, 2012
Posts
444
Likes
414
Location
Italy
Yes, we was influences by the STAX design too. However, it was the idea just to get nothing disturbing in front of the ear. So we created a huge membrane very light weight only...
 
Sep 30, 2012 at 10:36 AM Post #19 of 341

kazaakas

100+ Head-Fier
Joined
Mar 7, 2012
Posts
157
Likes
15
Quote:
Yes, we was influences by the STAX design too. However, it was the idea just to get nothing disturbing in front of the ear. So we created a huge membrane very light weight only...

Haha wow you just went over 8½ years back in time by bumping this thread
 
Oct 1, 2012 at 5:06 AM Post #21 of 341

hrklg01

Member of the Trade: Mysphere
AKG K1000 developer
Joined
Sep 30, 2012
Posts
444
Likes
414
Location
Italy
hi, I was one of 3 developers of the K1000 at AKG. this was till 1989.
The major content i was responsible for was the Membrane, the filter and the magnet system...
 
Oct 1, 2012 at 5:38 AM Post #23 of 341

elwappo99

Master Blower
Joined
Oct 26, 2008
Posts
4,899
Likes
418
Quote:
hi, I was one of 3 developers of the K1000 at AKG. this was till 1989.
The major content i was responsible for was the Membrane, the filter and the magnet system...

 
Quote:
Go on please, We'd all be very keen learning about the R&D route down to the very minute details...
 
popcorn.gif

 

 
 
Yea, I'm with this guy. Are you kidding me?!?! We'd love to hear more about this fabled can!
 
Oct 1, 2012 at 5:42 AM Post #24 of 341

Farnsworth

100+ Head-Fier
Joined
May 26, 2009
Posts
440
Likes
15
Quote:
hi, I was one of 3 developers of the K1000 at AKG. this was till 1989.
The major content i was responsible for was the Membrane, the filter and the magnet system...

And then...
 
Oct 1, 2012 at 6:03 AM Post #25 of 341

machoboy

500+ Head-Fier
Joined
Aug 20, 2012
Posts
598
Likes
61
hrklg01
 
Can I have your autograph????????////////
 
Oct 1, 2012 at 7:01 AM Post #26 of 341

trentino

100+ Head-Fier
Joined
Aug 22, 2009
Posts
473
Likes
11
Yeees, more, MORE!
 
Oct 2, 2012 at 6:04 AM Post #28 of 341

hrklg01

Member of the Trade: Mysphere
AKG K1000 developer
Joined
Sep 30, 2012
Posts
444
Likes
414
Location
Italy
Ok, nice to hear that you are interested in those old development. To be honest, I'm really thinking that this product is outstanding till now in sound performance. However, the comfort to wear is poor, but this was never the main aim at this time.
The product developed before the K1000 was the K240DF. Meaning designed for the diffuse field. In simple words, the acoustic is designed so, that measured on the ear entrance the frequency response shall be the same as sound from far field listening to ideal speakers and sitting in a listening room.
After finalized the K240DF we recognized a quite large community especially in the German region which liked that sound adjustment.
On the other hand side, we developers was not satisfied, because the sound performance was very depending on the users ear and also we "hate" to wear closed headphone because of the heat surrounding the ear after a while.
Therefore we agreed to design a headphone without that disadvantages.... That was approx. 1985 when the K1000 project idea was born.
It was clear to us, that due to missing sound pressure chamber in front of the ear, the speaker driver has to deliver a very low resonance frequency and relative huge displacement. Also the effective membrane surface has to be very large and very stiff and lightweight too.
The development of this simple looking membrane took approx. 3 years, 'cause no proper working simulation programs exist at that time available for us.
The magnet/coil system was always questioned and alternatives like orthodynamic systems and electrostatic drive was also considered. However, the classic dynamic drive won. This was because of the special design of the radial magnet system of the K1000 which works very effective and could be designed very tiny. Therefore the effective acoustic inductance of the complete K1000 was lower than any other driver system we benchmarked. I other simple words: When measuring on the ear entrance wearing the K1000 the sound coming from free field, it's almost the same as without the headphone.
.... Any specific questions more ?
Kind Regards
 
Oct 2, 2012 at 3:10 PM Post #29 of 341

elwappo99

Master Blower
Joined
Oct 26, 2008
Posts
4,899
Likes
418
Quote:
Ok, nice to hear that you are interested in those old development. To be honest, I'm really thinking that this product is outstanding till now in sound performance. However, the comfort to wear is poor, but this was never the main aim at this time.
The product developed before the K1000 was the K240DF. Meaning designed for the diffuse field. In simple words, the acoustic is designed so, that measured on the ear entrance the frequency response shall be the same as sound from far field listening to ideal speakers and sitting in a listening room.
After finalized the K240DF we recognized a quite large community especially in the German region which liked that sound adjustment.
On the other hand side, we developers was not satisfied, because the sound performance was very depending on the users ear and also we "hate" to wear closed headphone because of the heat surrounding the ear after a while.
Therefore we agreed to design a headphone without that disadvantages.... That was approx. 1985 when the K1000 project idea was born.
It was clear to us, that due to missing sound pressure chamber in front of the ear, the speaker driver has to deliver a very low resonance frequency and relative huge displacement. Also the effective membrane surface has to be very large and very stiff and lightweight too.
The development of this simple looking membrane took approx. 3 years, 'cause no proper working simulation programs exist at that time available for us.
The magnet/coil system was always questioned and alternatives like orthodynamic systems and electrostatic drive was also considered. However, the classic dynamic drive won. This was because of the special design of the radial magnet system of the K1000 which works very effective and could be designed very tiny. Therefore the effective acoustic inductance of the complete K1000 was lower than any other driver system we benchmarked. I other simple words: When measuring on the ear entrance wearing the K1000 the sound coming from free field, it's almost the same as without the headphone.
.... Any specific questions more ?
Kind Regards

 
This is very interesting. The K240df and K1000 are two headphones I see discussed here so often, and up for sale a lot still. I had no idea they were connected in this manner! 
 
I have a few questions I'd be very interested to hear! 
 
1. Do you still work for AKG? If not, when did you stop working (approximately)? 
2. What do you think of the current AKG direction under HarmonKardon (for headphones)?
3. Are you still into headphones? What pairs do you own?
4. Were you involved at all with the K340. Those are certainly an interesting story in themselves as well.
 
Oct 2, 2012 at 3:32 PM Post #30 of 341

Blackmore

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Jan 12, 2006
Posts
5,719
Likes
91
There are 2 designs that AKG were able to create that still the best sounding of the most out there today and these are: K1000 and K340. Of course, there are other models to, but not such unique
 
Harman is milking and AKG is suffering, but maybe they were the only way to survive, who knows?
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Top