History of Sennheiser HE60/HEV70?(Baby Orpheus)
Apr 18, 2004 at 1:12 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

zcx

100+ Head-Fier
As one of the system owner, I have been listening for the Baby Orpheus system for a long time~
I do think the sound of this system is not as bad as someone said~
And the same time, I compare it with my R10s system, I will also compare it with SR007s/KGSS system which will coming soon~
For a long time listening, I think R10s and he60/hev70 are very different styles~ overall, I know R10s is better, but I'd like some part of the he60/hev70, especially the midrage of he60s~

why Senheiser stop making them, and retract the he60/hev70 system already on the market?
confused.gif

anybody,any answers?

zcx

Apr 18, 2004 at 1:46 PM Post #2 of 10
Interesting of all things that are so great about the HE60/HEV70 you like the midrange so much, it's one of the things that I don't like about the HEV-70 that much and keeps me listening to my RS-1 / EMP every day.(albeit only with the glorious Amperex white shield PQ, the rest like TFK or Siemens just don't come close when it comes to midrange IMO and I might just as well switch to the HE60/HEV70 that has so much to offer that compensates for the rather bland midrange* IMO.

Still the baby O is very impressive overall, I have had it in my posession for a few months now and there are still moments of real suprise.

*all relative blandness ofcourse, like I said the midrange is fine on it's own and probably also a matter of taste....

Apr 18, 2004 at 1:56 PM Post #3 of 10
perhaps~it is your way to listening the baby orpheus.
But, as lots of people say, the midrange is the most greatest part of the baby orpheus.
and, of course, after I listened it, I absolutely agree with them!
biggrin.gif

anyway, I'd like to know the history of Sennheiser stop producing the Baby Orpheus system!
rolleyes.gif

Apr 18, 2004 at 5:11 PM Post #4 of 10
The Baby Orpheus was produced as a challenge to Stax. And after a time period Sennheiser find out that they will have no chance against Stax.

The normal Orpheus was produced to show Stax that Sennheiser will be able at every time to make the "World's Number One" Electrostat.

Roby
(Please, American head-fi members, offer your headphones and amps not only in USA and Canada. Reading 9 from 10 offers with the advice "Sell only to USA (Canada)" makes me angry.

Apr 18, 2004 at 6:51 PM Post #5 of 10
Interesting. The place that Sennheiser seems to have fallen behind is in the amplification. IMO the only Stax headphone I've heard that may be better than the HE 60 is the Omega II, at several times the price. It could be a matter of market share, rather than sound quality.

Apr 18, 2004 at 9:29 PM Post #6 of 10
The orpheus he90/hev90 setup was designed to show that they had the ability to make the best, and it is the best(the amp might not be a good deal for the price but it's not horrible at the lest). The he60/hev70 was made a little later designed to fill a price gap from 400ish dollars to 14,000. The he60/hev70 sold-out rather fast. From what I understand a couple of company's bought large amounts and was part of the reasoning for selling out so quick. The he60 it self is prob the best deal in the electrostatic world price wize. The only problem with the combo is the amp. It isn't the greatest and takes a long time to charge up fully, but I guess you can't have everything.

Apr 18, 2004 at 10:09 PM Post #8 of 10
Apr 18, 2004 at 10:19 PM Post #9 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Chefguru
The he60 it self is prob the best deal in the electrostatic world price wize.

If you expect to get the complete system at 500 dollars it probably is....

Kevin I hope I can make that connector, I should be able to get a stax amp here again for a week or so to try it myself and see how good the headphone can really get.

Apr 18, 2004 at 10:31 PM Post #10 of 10
Actually the best electrostatic for $500 is probably the
koss 950. Then you throw away their amplifier.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back