hiss on predator
Nov 13, 2008 at 1:44 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

athenaesword

500+ Head-Fier
okay here goes.
rig: iphone 3g/computer> predator (700hrs)> TF10/Speakers

in any combination I use, when I set to medium/high gain and turn up the volume, I get hiss, with nothing playing.

on high gain, it's really really loud.

"You should hear no noise or hiss at all from the DAC when connected to your computer, it is completely silent in every sense no matter which headphones you use, including all the sensitive headphones, IEM, with full gain of 11, at MAX volume.. That by itself is just a remarkable accomplishment when comparing amps with each others using IEM’s."
RSA site

I'm not sure, but does this show something is faulty with my amp? or are u guys facing this problem as well?
I'm not sure why I didn't check for this when I first got it; I just assumed it wouldn't have any hiss, and have a black noisefloor at all gains at all volumes as stated on the website.

edit:
those who're still concerned about the hiss read Cheule's post.
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f15/pr...95/index5.html

Cheule's post kind of sums up his conversation with Ray regarding the "hiss". I still think it's an overzealous marketing statement that probably should have been more explanatory in its use. Perhaps a small qualification like "when used with headphones with the corresponding impedence".

okay i dug this up not because I was just finding faults for the sake of it, I was concerned because I didn't know if it was truly a problem with the amp or not, regardless of whether or not I listen at such volumes. In the event I were to sell this some day, I'd want to know that I'm selling a perfect product.

Nonetheless, I think I'm prepared to accept his explanation, since it addresses my concern that my Predator might be faulty.

Nov 13, 2008 at 5:56 PM Post #2 of 19
It seems Ray wasn't being entirely truthful when he says that. I, too, can hear some hiss from my Predator at high levels.

But if you are listening at these levels, you're already deaf and may as well sell your Predator... so I don't see it as much of a problem.

I've read others commenting along these lines also.

Nov 13, 2008 at 6:03 PM Post #3 of 19
Is there hiss with nothing going into the Predator?

Nov 13, 2008 at 6:10 PM Post #4 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by jamato8 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is there hiss with nothing going into the Predator?

I have not heard from a person yet who did not have hiss from their predator at very high volumes with sensitive IEMs, even without anything connected. Is there anyone?

Nov 13, 2008 at 6:20 PM Post #5 of 19
I get some hiss in my 2Move when I change the volume knob position, and the most interesting( maybe not that interesting ) is the hiss can be heard only in the left channel.

But it only happens when I change the volume knob position, if it's still I hear nothing.

Btw, I don't hear any hiss at all with no signal, even changing the volume knob position, so I assume it must be something with the amp build.

EDIT: I have once emailed Jan about this issue, and he said that's perfectly normal because of the amp circuit design. Oh well, I don't know crap about electronics, so...

I have PMed Skylab once asking if he had the same problem with his 2Move, but he has never experienced something like that.

Nov 13, 2008 at 6:44 PM Post #6 of 19
At "very" high volumes for hiss makes me wonder as to who cares. I mean that has nothing to do with music. You can not use that much volume unless you are deaf or want to go deaf. If there is hiss at normal listening levels, which I have never heard with the Predator, then it is either the source or something with the amp but if at high gain and the volume turned up most of the way that is another thing. Most of the time and the key word here is "most", the source is the cause of the hiss but again unless this is in the normal listening range, who cars?

Nov 14, 2008 at 1:05 AM Post #7 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by dadozen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I get some hiss in my 2Move when I change the volume knob position, and the most interesting( maybe not that interesting ) is the hiss can be heard only in the left channel.

But it only happens when I change the volume knob position, if it's still I hear nothing.

Btw, I don't hear any hiss at all with no signal, even changing the volume knob position, so I assume it must be something with the amp build.

EDIT: I have once emailed Jan about this issue, and he said that's perfectly normal because of the amp circuit design. Oh well, I don't know crap about electronics, so...

I have PMed Skylab once asking if he had the same problem with his 2Move, but he has never experienced something like that.

well i'm not sure about the corda but they have they actually made claims that there's NO hiss at max gain max volume?

Quote:

Originally Posted by manaox2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have not heard from a person yet who did not have hiss from their predator at very high volumes with sensitive IEMs, even without anything connected. Is there anyone?

I tried it not only with the TF10s, but with speakers as well. they're Acoustic Energy AEGO Ms btw.

Quote:

At "very" high volumes for hiss makes me wonder as to who cares. I mean that has nothing to do with music. You can not use that much volume unless you are deaf or want to go deaf. If there is hiss at normal listening levels, which I have never heard with the Predator, then it is either the source or something with the amp but if at high gain and the volume turned up most of the way that is another thing. Most of the time and the key word here is "most", the source is the cause of the hiss but again unless this is in the normal listening range, who cars?

not sure what you mean with nothing going into the dac/amp. there's no hiss when there's no source plugged in, but there's hiss as long as it's plugged in regardless whether or not anything is playing through.

I sorta expected a couple replies with "who cares" u're never gonna use that volume. well that's kinda like making a claim about something and then when it doesn't happen you just say oh I didn't think you'd actually try that.

besides, on medium gain, high volume, there's audible hiss. and I watch movies at that level. (music volume level's alot louder so I use much lower volume compared to movies)

edit: okay there's hiss even without the source plugged in

Nov 14, 2008 at 2:35 AM Post #8 of 19
If there is no hiss when there is nothing plugged into the Predator and the Predator is on, then the hiss is coming from the source. The amp is amplifying what is going into the dac. If nothing is plugged in and you turn it up and there is no hiss then it is the source that the hiss is coming from.

Nov 14, 2008 at 2:46 AM Post #10 of 19
Quote:

If there is no hiss when there is nothing plugged into the Predator and the Predator is on, then the hiss is coming from the source. The amp is amplifying what is going into the dac. If nothing is plugged in and you turn it up and there is no hiss then it is the source that the hiss is coming from.

okay I tried without the source, and there's still hiss. my bad I just assumed there wouldn't be hiss if I had no source plugged in. so it's definitely my predator that's hissing.

Nov 14, 2008 at 2:52 AM Post #11 of 19
Ok, try this.

Have everything on and the USB plugged in. Hear the hum/hiss? I do. Now unplug the usb but touch the case. The usb is not powered on but the ground from the usb is completing the circuit for a ground. I now hear hum again. The USB circuit from the computer and other sources can be contaminated but that isn't the fault of the Predator.

I turned my Predator to max and max gain with very sensitive earphones and I get the smallest almost beyond hearing hiss but that is with everything at maximum. This is with no USB plugged in.

edit: I just tried with some other IEM's and I get even less of any sound and on medium gain and plugged into the USB I can't hear anything. On max gain and at max volume with the usb I get a slight but very slight amount of hiss. With the amp only and plugged into the usb, I get nothing.

I don't deny you are hearing what you state but I don't get it here.

Nov 14, 2008 at 3:46 AM Post #12 of 19
Quote:

Ok, try this.

Have everything on and the USB plugged in. Hear the hum/hiss? I do. Now unplug the usb but touch the case. The usb is not powered on but the ground from the usb is completing the circuit for a ground. I now hear hum again. The USB circuit from the computer and other sources can be contaminated but that isn't the fault of the Predator.

i don't get what you mean by that last bit. so u're saying I should be hearing hum after unplugging my USB? so how am i supposed to test this? i still hear hiss on medium gain/max volume without the computer plugged in.

Nov 14, 2008 at 4:04 AM Post #13 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by athenaesword /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i don't get what you mean by that last bit. so u're saying I should be hearing hum after unplugging my USB? so how am i supposed to test this? i still hear hiss on medium gain/max volume without the computer plugged in.

I unplug the usb but then touch the metal of the usb to the back case of the Predator.

You get hiss on medium and max volume. I can't get any at all with any of my IEM's. I can only get a slight amount on the high gain setting at max volume.

Nov 14, 2008 at 5:05 AM Post #14 of 19
Quote:

I unplug the usb but then touch the metal of the usb to the back case of the Predator.

You get hiss on medium and max volume. I can't get any at all with any of my IEM's. I can only get a slight amount on the high gain setting at max volume.

so you get hiss when you touch the usb to the exterior of the predator, but not when the predator's solely connected to the output device?

Nov 15, 2008 at 2:20 PM Post #15 of 19
those who're still concerned about the hiss read Cheule's post.
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f15/pr...95/index5.html

Cheule's post kind of sums up his conversation with Ray regarding the "hiss". I still think it's an overzealous marketing statement that probably should have been more explanatory in its use. Perhaps a small qualification like "when used with headphones with the corresponding impedence".

okay i dug this up not because I was just finding faults for the sake of it, I was concerned because I didn't know if it was truly a problem with the amp or not, regardless of whether or not I listen at such volumes. In the event I were to sell this some day, I'd want to know that I'm selling a perfect product.

Nonetheless, I think I'm prepared to accept his explanation, since it addresses my concern that my Predator might be faulty.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back