Hisoundaudio ROCOO BA - Superior Hi-Fi player for Ciem's & Iem's
Jun 15, 2012 at 1:41 PM Post #136 of 632
Quote:
Interested in how this compares to the studio v. Any thoughts?

Here are some.

Quote:
Glad we agree on the RocooBA. Have it on right now with the MD Trumpets, and it just amazes me relative to SQ, especially that 3D presentation.

I don't really mind the UI as much as it might have sounded, and I do also like, as I said, a jukebox style of listening. I have yet to really try to navigate the UI for albums and artists, for example. Oh, I also don't care much for the fact that the card content and the HD content are not merged into a single  list (have to choose onboard or external).

As for design, I don't mind the sharp edges either. I do like the easy to use buttons for "blind" listening in the pocket.

Looks like Hisound has a winner here, especially for people who have high-end BA phones, such as customs or other universals.

Ah yes, you reminded me of something I forgot to mention: in terms of ease of use whilst the dap is in my pocket, the BA is easily the best I've owned. Those big buttons serve brilliantly.  

Jun 15, 2012 at 4:26 PM Post #137 of 632
Quote:
Interested in how this compares to the studio v. Any thoughts?

The Studio V has more energy in its treble. Also the mid range on the Studio V is better IMO, more upfront. But the Rocoo BA is noticeably quieter when it comes to hiss. I can hear hiss still but its not nearly as loud as on the Studio V.

Jun 16, 2012 at 6:53 PM Post #138 of 632
Quote:

The BA is a good match with the 5-way IMO.  It isn't as resolving as the DX100 or 801, but then the price is what, less than a third.  Resolution and space are better than the Clip+ and iPhone (and I find the Clip+ pretty close to the J3).  My iPod -> nice amp such as the Stepdance or Arrow 4G outperform the BA, but again at near double the price.  For the price and size, I don't know of anything that competes with the BA.  I think Hisound got this one right!

Unfortunately I can't do a comparison between the Studio V and RoCoo BA since I sent my Studio V back due to hiss.  It is very musical, probably more musical than the RoCoo BA, but with significant hiss with most of my custom IEMs, it just isn't worth it for me.  With headphones I am sure it is amazing, heck, my Amp3 Pro2 is still amazing with headphones.

Hey, was sondering if there was a significant difference between iPod + amp vs. RoCoo BA + amp. Already own an Arrow amp with a pair of Phiaton PS200 and have them hooked to an old iPod 3G.
Am thinking about upgrading my source to a newer device w/ line out capabilities...

Jun 18, 2012 at 2:50 AM Post #139 of 632
Hello, If I can comment, I really don't see the advantage of carrying a Rocoo BA + an amp... I think that the "benefit" you win doesn't worth the fact that you loose to much portability...but it's just me...or is it a "home" semi-portable set up?

Jun 18, 2012 at 8:13 AM Post #140 of 632
Quote:
Hello, If I can comment, I really don't see the advantage of carrying a Rocoo BA + an amp... I think that the "benefit" you win doesn't worth the fact that you loose to much portability...but it's just me...or is it a "home" semi-portable set up?

Well, I mean a Headstage Arrow amp is really not that big, so I don't think it would be a big deal. I carry around an old iPod 3G with said amp in my backpack, I rarely put everything in my pocket.
I don't think a RoCoo BA is much bigger.

I don't have a smartphone so I may as well go for an iPod touch, Sony NWZ-Zxxx or Cowon Z2 if there's not much SQ difference in the LO.

Jun 18, 2012 at 9:12 AM Post #141 of 632
Ah ok, I really don't know if there's a big difference or not and I don't have a lot of experience with amps...perhaps others can answer but from what I remember from older posts, you don't benefit a lot by pairing an amp with a BA.

Jun 19, 2012 at 12:51 AM Post #143 of 632
The only advantage I would see to using the Amp is a quieter background (no  hiss). I've done this and it makes the sound a bit more mellow and laid back, which I do not like since the sound stage is very large as is.

Jun 19, 2012 at 9:01 AM Post #144 of 632
Quote:
The only advantage I would see to using the Amp is a quieter background (no  hiss). I've done this and it makes the sound a bit more mellow and laid back, which I do not like since the sound stage is very large as is.

Well yes, the RoCoo BA may be a good enough source that it does not need an amp. However average_joe pointed out that iPod+amp>RoCoo BA in terms of SQ. I know most of you are happy listening to music directly from your RoCoo BA, however with my phones (Phiaton PS200) a little bass boost is needed.

I'm just curious about the RoCoo BA's lineout, is all.

Jun 19, 2012 at 2:00 PM Post #145 of 632
Well yes, the RoCoo BA may be a good enough source that it does not need an amp. However average_joe pointed out that iPod+amp>RoCoo BA in terms of SQ. I know most of you are happy listening to music directly from your RoCoo BA, however with my phones (Phiaton PS200) a little bass boost is needed.

I'm just curious about the RoCoo BA's lineout, is all.

There's not a proper line out with the BA. What you have is the headphone out. I tried today with my iBasso D10 and seriously, all you get is louder. If you have hard to drive phones, it's an option. But the BA is for iems, most of which (including the ER-4S) do just fine.

Jun 19, 2012 at 2:10 PM Post #146 of 632
Quote:
There's not a proper line out with the BA. What you have is the headphone out. I tried today with my iBasso D10 and seriously, all you get is louder. If you have hard to drive phones, it's an option. But the BA is for iems, most of which (including the ER-4S) do just fine.

Thanks a lot for your answer. It was not clear to me from the various reviews I read whether the BA had a real LO or not.

Jun 19, 2012 at 6:14 PM Post #147 of 632
Quote:

Thanks a lot for your answer. It was not clear to me from the various reviews I read whether the BA had a real LO or not.

What is curious to me is I used to use my iphone4 via lineout dock to my UHA4 and still did not find that comparable to the Rocoo BA or Studio V sound quality wise. We all do hear things differently though :p Then again synergy could play a roll but I've found many sources to be better, even a Stock SFlo2 which I was very disappointed with as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back