Hisound BA100 IEM Appreciation Thread.
Sep 24, 2013 at 11:07 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 240

lee730

Headphoneus Supremus
Hello Folks. Hisound has just recently released a new single BA driver called the BA100. From what I am told this is a proprietary design of Hisound. That they created this driver themselves in house and that the sound quality should be quite good. I haven't received my unit yet but once I do I'll post some impressions and pictures. Some other members will chime in with their own impressions when time permits.

Sep 24, 2013 at 11:38 PM Post #2 of 240
Hey guys,

Being in China, I am apparently the first to receive a sample.

I also found this link : http://www.hisound.co.uk/hisoundaudio-ba100-balanced-armature-105-p.asp

Specs are apparently as follows:

Specifications:
  1. Model: HSA-BA100
  2. Type: Balanced Armature
  3. Size of the driver: 3.2X5.7 mm
  4. Impedance: 36Ω
  5. Sensitivity: 109 db
  6. Microphone: Yes
  7. Frequency response: 20-20 khz
  8. Type of the jack: 3.5mm Angled jack
  9. The length of the cable: 124cm
  10. Cable: OFC

Here are a few pics:

Build is ok, but good for a 40$ iem I suppose. There are comfortable worn over ear for me, with the largest tip.

In terms of sounds, I have just listened to them for 30mn but I must say I am quite impressed with the SQ at this price point...really nice separation and details, good clarity in the mids. Bass is tight and punchy. Sounded a bit harsh and thin out of the box, but I suppose it will get better after some burn in.

Sep 24, 2013 at 11:54 PM Post #3 of 240
Mine should be coming soon.
Mim, I thought that you were only in to high end stuff? 
wink_face.gif

Sep 25, 2013 at 1:16 AM Post #6 of 240
  Yep I am, but I can still try the crap you poor people listen to. Just to understand your anger :wink:

Good to see you like to stay in touch with us peons
wink_face.gif

Sep 25, 2013 at 1:32 AM Post #8 of 240
Yep I am, but I can still try the crap you poor people listen to. Just to understand your anger :wink:

You should try to A/B comparison these with the king of CIEMs, the god of esoterica, the FitEar CIEMs. Just to give us masochistic peasants a mere taste. 

....oh wait, what's that? You say you don't have those?

Hopefully you guys keep it up with the impressions. They sound like my kind of sig...

Sep 25, 2013 at 1:41 AM Post #9 of 240

You should try to A/B comparison these with the king of CIEMs, the god of esoterica, the FitEar CIEMs. Just to give us masochistic peasants a mere taste. 

....oh wait, what's that? You say you don't have those?

Hopefully you guys keep it up with the impressions. They sound like my kind of sig...

Love the emoticosn...

Anyways I would say that if you consider is 20 times cheaper than the 1Plus2, it holds its own quite well.

Sep 26, 2013 at 8:06 AM Post #13 of 240
My pair of sample BA100 arrived today.........

Briefly, the packaging and general quality of the IEM is very pleasant. The provided tips are really good and very Ortofon like. I would recommend anyone who wants to buy Ortofon tips to buy a pair of BA100, have the tips in S. M. L., and get the IEMs thrown in. 

An interesting feature is the copper(?) stems.

I am a firm believer that one can never over source or amp a pair of IEMs. So, I have followed this train of thought and have been listening to the BA100 out of the ASP TU-05, Wagnus S and Mass Kobo 385 source by the Hex Dac, and with serious cabling.

The BA100 are pretty diminutive, and quite similar in size to the IE800 so I am wearing them in the same way. Cable down, IEM firing upwards into my ear canals. Out of the box and with the tips changed to large and on the edge of the stem, they sounded wishy washy......imaging was literally all over the place or at least to what I am accustomed to. My thoughts were $49 introductory, or $69 at full retail, no biggie, nice effort.

Then, by pulling tips all the way down the stem and literally exposing the metal stems. (as per the picture above) What an improvement! Things has click into place, and the sonic picture that the BA100 portarys is really quite correct. Bass quantity is probably less but quality has moved up a few notches, basslines are still apparent and can be followed. Quite tight and nice little punch. Extension is not too deep though. Mids are clean, but lacks ultimately resolution. Vocals are quite nice in the sense that you can recognize all singers' characteristics. There are some nuances that comes through. Highs are never harsh and some sparkle is apparent.

Soundstaging is good, on the small side but layers are there, as is structure, proportion and sense of perspective. Images are stable. All in all, the BA100 is revealing enough to allow the characteristics of the different amps to come through......

In summing up, I must admit the BA100 is an IEM which sounds way beyond it's price. It is an IEM that I have listened to now, for longer than many more expensive offerings that are in my "do not listen to" box. I will try the BA100 with different DAPs in the next few days and report back. I am thinking for a cheap good sounding rig, the DX50 and the BA100 might just be a match that is too good to pass by at less than $300.

Highly recommended for those rainy days...............

Sep 26, 2013 at 8:28 AM Post #14 of 240
Interesting. Mine is coming via HK post :frowning2: Slow as hell!
With the DX50 certainly makes a weird pairing - a $250 DAP with a $50 IEM :)

Sep 26, 2013 at 8:35 AM Post #15 of 240
  Interesting. Mine is coming via HK post :frowning2: Slow as hell!
With the DX50 certainly makes a weird pairing - a $250 DAP with a $50 IEM :)

Does that seem inappropriate?

I don't have my DX50 with me at the moment, so cannot definitively say whether it will be good together.........

Users who are viewing this thread

Back