Hiromi - "Spiral"
Feb 27, 2006 at 8:07 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

Bryan T

100+ Head-Fier
Anyone else digging the new Hiromi CD? I'm really impressed with the musicianship and writing on this album. It is also recorded well, though I do wish the drums were a little more up front in the mix. I like this CD more than "Brain."

I had the chance to see her trio last week and was very impressed. The bassist and drummer are really amazing, as is Hiromi. Her sense of composition and piano playing are advanced, but still approachable for people who are usually turned off by jazz or progressive rock (or whatever you would call her music). She has a great sense for arrangement and harmony.

Check it out if you already haven't.

Bryan

Feb 27, 2006 at 8:12 AM Post #2 of 15
I seriously loved Another Mind. I also loved Brain, but not quite as much.. mostly because Dave DiCenso was no longer on drums. Sad to see that Dave isn't on this album, either.. but I'll still be picking it up. Hiromi rocks.

Good thread.

Feb 27, 2006 at 8:35 AM Post #3 of 15
Arrgh, she was in town and I didn't know?? Not that I would have had time to watch, anyway, but it still sucks.

Feb 27, 2006 at 8:38 AM Post #4 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by ooheadsoo
Arrgh, she was in town and I didn't know?? Not that I would have had time to watch, anyway, but it still sucks.

Yep, she played at the Catalina Bar and Grill in Hollywood. It was a great show, but ended up being expensive (tickets, dinner, drinks, service charge, gratuity, etc.). I'm glad that I saw her, but would have preferred a cheaper show.

Bryan

Feb 27, 2006 at 8:53 AM Post #5 of 15
Yeah, I think I paid close to $45 last time I was there. And that was with two cokes. Oh well.

Feb 27, 2006 at 7:05 PM Post #6 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bryan T
Anyone else digging the new Hiromi CD? I'm really impressed with the musicianship and writing on this album.

Not yet, but I have the SACD on my wishlist & it will be part of my next shopping spree.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bryan T
It is also recorded well

Are there any bad recordings from Telarc I should know about?

Feb 27, 2006 at 8:35 PM Post #7 of 15
Telarc is giving away an autographed copy of Spiral tomorrow! So assuming I don't win a copy I'm going to buy it next week.
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 28, 2006 at 10:13 PM Post #9 of 15
I heard Brain very recently and I was simply amazed by the musicianship, composition, and overall performance on the CD. Great sonics to boot too, some of the lowest bass I have ever heard. The drums are mic'd amazingly well, they capture the bass drum kicks and the shimmers from the cymbals and ride are kept intact. She is a wonderful player too, this CD has it all IMO

Mar 1, 2006 at 1:09 AM Post #10 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by recstar24
I heard Brain very recently and I was simply amazed by the musicianship, composition, and overall performance on the CD. Great sonics to boot too, some of the lowest bass I have ever heard. The drums are mic'd amazingly well, they capture the bass drum kicks and the shimmers from the cymbals and ride are kept intact. She is a wonderful player too, this CD has it all IMO

I haven't heard Spiral yet, but do check out Another Mind asap. IMO it's arguably better/more enjoyable than Brain.

Dec 3, 2006 at 6:43 AM Post #11 of 15
I knew of Hiromi from Telarc SACD catalog.
At first I thought she was just another cross-over babe sing a little tune on the piano.
When I realized she performed at Playboy Jazz Festival, I realized she might be more serious than I had assumed.
So I finally got Spiral, and I am amazed at how refreshing it sounds. We need more young musicians like this to inject new blood into the antiquated art of jazz. To be confident enough to compose such serious music at her age is remarkable. Her Japanese background probably contributes quite a bit to her refreshingness.

May 6, 2007 at 7:14 AM Post #12 of 15
To my utter amazement and disgust, I missed her here in LA AGAIN! JEEZ! She was playing on the week of my bday, too, I woulda seen her live at least once, if not 2 or 3 times. I ended up driving up to SF this week to catch her at Yoshi's. What a steal. $18.50 for 2 sets of the best performance I have ever seen. You guys get her new CD, Time Control, yet? It's a real doozy. She just gets better and better. I was extremely inspired by her. Youtube also has a bunch of vids of her, now.

Time Difference

Aug 20, 2009 at 5:20 AM Post #13 of 15
I'm bumping an old thread. Hiromi is really turning into a powerhouse of writing and playing. Her band is top notch, too. I highly recommend any of her work from "Brain" on. My favorite is still "Spiral."

Definitely see her live if you get the chance. I've seen her three or four times since I started this thread and have been consistently awed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back