Hippo VB vs. Hisound Wooduo 2 vs. Sony XB90EX
Jan 22, 2014 at 3:12 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

oHUTCHYo

Head-Fier
Hi All,

I've been on a journey for some time looking for a spiritual successor to my beloved Hippo VB. Let me just say that I'm on my second pair of Hippo and they have been superb, I feel lucky that I found an IEM so early on that really satisfied what I wanted so much; conversely it also made it hard for me to increase my budget and find anything better. I "upgraded" to some Sennheiser IE80 and even after 160 hour burn-in, their low end failed to satisfy me.

Its at this stage I should emphasise I'm perhaps one of the few oddballs who uses the maximum bass screw on my Hippo, where most owners go for the middle. Sub-bass that rattles your teeth whilst the mid-bass knocks them out. My music of choice is techno and tech-house. Likewise though I do appreciate the finer details in a track, don't get me wrong.

I'm interested on some comparisons on the Wooduo2 and Sony XB90, plus any other suggestions to help with my search.

Ive tried IE80 - nice clarity but didn't hit low enough and didnt like over ear and consequently swapping left and right channels
I've tried XB90 - very close, but experienced terrible driver flex - may reconsider based on user comparisons I can use as a benchmark
I've tried FX200 - totally overrated as a basshead IEM, IMHO
Atrio MG7 - this was years ago and must have been the old model, can remember disliking narrow soundstage and the bass response was weird, could hear it in great detail but not feel it?
Yamaha EPH100 - never tried as Im in the UK, but seem well regarded on head-fi, albeit, an expensive import if they don't satisfy.

Reason for wanting to move on from Hippo? I'd like a flat cable if possible as these are for gym and hate untangling my Hippo, but to also look for more resolution/clarity whilst retaining the Hippo bottom end. I also want something shiny and new if I'm honest.... (32nd Birthday coming up)

Budget is up to £200, but am experienced enough now to know more money does not necessarily mean more quality. Diminishing returns etc etc

Source; iPhone 4S, Sansa Clip+ and laptop.

Hit me :)

Feb 1, 2014 at 4:55 PM Post #6 of 9
Anyone?
smily_headphones1.gif

Thinking of buying both the Sony XB90EX AND Denon C300, a/b them and sell the loser...or both if the Hippo VB remains the champion

This guy may have some info on the subject:

http://musicalmusings.themindofgame.com/?s=WOODUO

Feb 2, 2014 at 1:37 PM Post #9 of 9
Im surprised you werent satisfied with the fxz200's. Those things have crazy bass. The fit isnt very good though.

The atrios had a great sound. Nice and compact too.

oHUTCHYo, what is wrong with the FXZ200?

Here is someone who might help you with your inquiry:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/586909/the-discovery-thread-new-zero-audio-doppios-pg1197-kef-m200-pg835-philips-fidelio-s2-pg-724/16350#post_9951809

This search can also help:

http://www.head-fi.org/newsearch/?search=Hippo&resultSortingPreference=recency&byuser=&output=posts&sdate=0&newer=1&type=all&containingthread[0]=586909&advanced=1

Users who are viewing this thread

Back