Hip-Hop with electronica, does it exist?
Apr 9, 2006 at 7:38 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 33

kwitel

Headphoneus Supremus
Been really feelin the whole underground, intelligent hip-hop thing as of late: Atmosphere, Sage Francis, Deltron, etc...
Was wondering, is there any really trippy, electronically influenced hip-hop?
To be more specific, maybe slow drum n' bass or dark breaks with some killer intelligent raps??
Id say Roots Manuva, Dizee Rascal and the Streets occasionally come close to what im looking for. Id take anything really thats got good rhymes but is more trippy and chill?
Hope that makes sense...

Apr 9, 2006 at 8:14 PM Post #3 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by viator122
Massive Attack, Tricky, etc.?

?
looking for hip-hop.

Apr 9, 2006 at 9:35 PM Post #4 of 33
i know its not really electronica, but MF Doom is pretty much the king of intelligent rap these days.

Apr 9, 2006 at 10:36 PM Post #6 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by Scotty757
i know its not really electronica, but MF Doom is pretty much the king of intelligent rap these days.

I keep hearing about him...and own nothing.
But there is so much!
Where to begin?
Hows Madvillainy? or the one with Madlib maybe?
Also heard good things about "mmm...food".

CN-ive got Deltron already-thanx for the rec. though

(BTW-is Atmospheres latest any good?)

Apr 9, 2006 at 11:22 PM Post #7 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by kwitel
Hows Madvillainy? or the one with Madlib maybe?

Madvilliany is the one with Madlib, and you definitely need it. Because it's great, not b/c it's what you're asking about here. Actually, if you could find it, you might want to grab the remixes by Fourtet, they're fantastic and fit what you're asking about here. But get the regular one for sure, you won't be sorry.

Back to what you're asking about, I hear good things about the new Dabrye record, and it could be what you're looking for. Lots of guest MC's.

Let us know what you find in this area, I'm interested.

Apr 9, 2006 at 11:34 PM Post #8 of 33
1. Zion I - Mind Over Matter (they use drum and bass here and there in their music, but specifically this album is the one to check out, they're good overall and across the board, you should really check all their albums out when you get a chance, despite your request, they're just that good imo)
2. Tech N9ne is another one who uses drum and bass here and there...i like tech because he's different, he has his own unique flavor
3. DJ Krush - Jaku (i've mentioned him before in trip hop threads, but he's also hip hop, you might want to check out the Jaku album first though, as it's more specific to your request)

Apr 10, 2006 at 12:11 AM Post #9 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by antiant
3. DJ Krush - Jaku (i've mentioned him before in trip hop threads, but he's also hip hop, you might want to check out the Jaku album first though, as it's more specific to your request)

This is an excellent album and sounds great (I was fortunately able to pick up the SACD while I was in Japan over the summer) but it is mostly instrumental with only a few tracks featuring guest vocalists. I would still highly recommend it as an album more people should own however, especially since one of the guest artists is Mr. Lif.

Good luck on finding the stuff you're looking for. Pretty much all of my hip-hop/rap experience comes from albums released prior to nineteen ninety two so I don't have much to suggest.

Apr 10, 2006 at 1:24 AM Post #12 of 33
This also doesn't fit exactly but Amon Tobins First two albums; Bricolage and Permutation have hip hop beats with electronics sounds to it as well. The only thing is that there are not raps to go along with it. Check out a some cips on Amazon to see if you like it.

Apr 10, 2006 at 3:54 AM Post #14 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ Mauler
I Think Your want to check out Prefuse 73 crazy electronica with alot of hiphop feels and alot of hiphop artists mostly underground

yeah-ive got Prefuse-great music.
Isnt it wierd that there isnt more of what im looking for?
Seems to me like it would be a great genre...killer raps over...say...Richie Hawtin? Or even Boards of Canada?
On "Music Has The Right To Children" by BOC the track "Rue the Whirl" IMO is ripe for some smooth, intelligent flow...maybe some Gift of Gab or even Deltron.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back