Hiking - advice and discussion
Apr 25, 2008 at 6:47 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 31

Zarathustra19

1000+ Head-Fier
Hey all,
I'm planning (within the next few years) to hike some lengthy portions of the Appalachian Trail. I won't be able to do the Thru-hike quite yet, but that is the ultimate goal.

Anyone ever do much hiking on the trail? I'm hoping you'll share your impressions of the conditions, difficulties, dangers, and especially what you got out of it.

I've started to do some research on the subject, but none of the sites I've visited thus far have had anything other than basic information on the trail, so any links would be helpful as well.

Oh, and just for the sake of discussion, I'm planning my first hike on the section of the trail that passes through my home state of PA, probably next summer before the great law school adventure begins.
smily_headphones1.gif

Thanks in advance everyone!

Apr 25, 2008 at 7:19 PM Post #3 of 31
A few years ago I spent a week on the trail up in Connecticut. The portion I was on was not difficult at all except for a couple hills which wouldn't be a problem for a healthy, reasonably fit person. It's a really beautiful area.

Apr 25, 2008 at 8:07 PM Post #4 of 31
It would be backpacking and camping along the trail as I went.

I should probably lose a few pounds before getting out there, just to be on the safe side. As of right now I'm not the fittest person out there. Thats part of the reason I want to do this.

Apr 25, 2008 at 8:09 PM Post #5 of 31
my suggestion for hiking would be plan on doing quite short sections daily. spend long breaks just enjoying the view and the quietness. also LOTS of food, trust me, you get hungry. and remember to plan everything ahead. and i mean everything.

Apr 25, 2008 at 8:46 PM Post #6 of 31
What kind of food would you recommend for a relatively short trip? I assume stuff like trail mix and what not.

Apr 25, 2008 at 9:18 PM Post #7 of 31
well yes, take some thing sweet if you want, but make sure you stay away from stuff that makes you thirsty sour stuff). if you will be camping, where water will be provided, i recommend taking some good "dry" soup (ie soup powder, add to hot water to make soup. im not sure if they are there in us, but i presume they are) there is nothing like a good hot soup after a long day of walking. obviously if it will be hot, then no soup.

errr what else did we take? oh yea, for lunch, take some sandwiches for the first day and if possible some "ready made packaged" sandwich/roll kind of stuff. this would obviously have to be sealed. i recommended that if you are going to take something for the first time, then try it out first. if for example, you are taking a sandwich for day 2, which is meant to be refrigerated, put it outside for 1 and a bit days and then check if it edible and if you like the taste. this really saved me, i was going to take something, but i tried it out before, and god was i sick.

and other stuff that should be obvious but to reiterate, good shoes are a must. if you will be doing this regularly, invest in a good pair. and wear them often before going on the first hike (i mean 10+ hours walking in them). also you must, must, must have at least 1 pair of spare socks PER day, and change each day. obviously hiking socks. what else you can do that i did was wear some thin ankle socks inside, and halfway through the day change them. really helps. i know this may seem extreme, 4 pairs of socks per day but it was really worth it. trust me. it rained one day and i went through 3 pairs of thick socks that day (not including my original) i was the only one in the day with no blisters
smily_headphones1.gif

if you do however get blister, you must take precaution, because they can ruin your walk. they obviously happen during the night, to check for them, when you take of your socks (at the end of the hike each day, which you really should) see if any area of your foot is red/sensitive. this should be quite obvious, and is called a red or a hot spot. clean this with water now and apply some ointment (which you will obviously take with you). this really can prevent blisters. do this again before going to bed, and keep your feet open. do not sleep with socks. this keeps your feet cold, and helps prevent blisters.

other thing which again should be obvious are, before you do anything, set up your tent (suitable postilions can be found on the net). then do everything else. and always take extra provisions (for at least 1 extra day per person). that is all i can think of right now.

Apr 25, 2008 at 9:21 PM Post #8 of 31
Thats actually very helpful. I've never made a really long walk before, so I don't really know what to expect. Your advice is very valuable. Especially the socks part, I would never have thought of that.

Apr 26, 2008 at 5:52 AM Post #11 of 31
Get a pair of good shoes and have them walked in before you set out on any lenghty journey. Also, carry some compeed just in case. And an extra pair of socks!

Love, Mum
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 26, 2008 at 6:44 AM Post #12 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zarathustra19 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thats actually very helpful. I've never made a really long walk before, so I don't really know what to expect. Your advice is very valuable. Especially the socks part, I would never have thought of that.

How many days are you planning for your trip? And how many miles were you planning on doing?

Over spring break I did my first "real hike." 5 miles into camp on day one. 2 miles back towards car on day two. And 3 miles back to the car on the final day. And the whole 3 miles back was in pouring rain. Trust me, it was a bitch.

Here are a few things I learned.

1) Absolutely practice building a fire before you go out in the woods. Personally I knew how to do it, but I hadn't really practiced and it showed when we got out there. Basically you want to start with small green twigs surrounded by branches about the diameter of your finger.. It helps if you build everything into a teepee like structure getting larger diameter sticks as you move outward. Get this burning (I recommend taking cotton balls, liberally coated with vaseline - throw a bunch of these into a Ziploc bag for easy fire starting; another solution is wrapping toilet paper around sticks and using it like a torch) and keep adding bigger sticks. Eventually you'll get to where you can burn logs. Oh yeah, while I'm thinking about it, gather lots and lots of firewood BEFORE you start trying to build a fire. You don't want to be rushing around trying to find sticks mid-fire starting.

2) I highly recommend water purification tablets. Sure you can boil water to make it drinking safe but in my experience, it's a lengthy drawn out process that takes more effort that it's worth. It also helps to plan your trip so you'll always be near a running water source such as a spring. Also keep several (I'd say 3-5) water bottles on hand. You'll be surprised how much you drink during/after a day of hiking. If you're already sure you're going to get serious about hiking on a regular basis you could also just invest in a water purification system with a pump. Very useful and lightweight but not cost effective if this is a one time thing.

3) Pack lightly. Dress in layers and don't take along extra clothes. Socks and underwear are the only things I would have more than one of. Also if you really want to pack lightly, take a max of 3 or 4 pairs and wash them when you can.

4) I recommend buying MRE's off Ebay. They're a complete meal and each one packs about 2000 calories, so these make great dinners. (feel free to IM if you want specific recommendations on which ones taste best).

5) Absolutely carry a compass and learn of the basics of how it works. If you'll have maps available, chart out your hike and check your compass bearing every 15 minutes to make sure you're going in the right direction.

6) A knife or multi-tool is a great help. A hand axe isn't necessary. If you need to chop logs or branches, just place them lengthwise over the fire and they'll burn into separate pieces.

7) I strongly recommend water proof boots over tennis shoes. After hiking 3 miles in a downpour my friends who had tennis shoes would agree.

8) Buy a poncho. It will keep you and your gear dry if you happen to find yourself in the elements. Don't get the cheap $0.87 one either; splurge and get the one for $4 bucks. Trust me, this comes from experience, you don't want to make the same mistakes I've made/seen others make.

9) Pack lightly. This means as few bottles of water as possible. No cans of soup. Buy dried meals that you can add water to. It's also not a bad idea to invest in one of those small pots that fold up nicely and hold utensils and other things inside them. These are very useful. I feel like carrying a decent spoon, fork, knife is useful. Eating with your hands isn't sanitary or cool.

10) Take toilet paper. It's not that heavy and has other uses than well.... (such as helping to light fires as I said earlier; it's also brightly colored which helps in an emergency situation given there isn't snow on the ground).

11) Buy some bungee ball straps. These are lightweight and have millions of uses. Not to mention it's like $5 for a 10 pack. Great for strapping gear to your pack, wrapping things up, etc...

11) Take a lighter AND matches. Also don't forget your first aid kit. $15 could be the difference between having a great hike to tell your kids about and getting an infection and never living to tell about it. Carry bug spray as well.

12) Read and learn as much as possible. There's a great book I recommend reading before you go and even taking with you. The "SAS Survival Handbook" by John Lofty Wiseman. Great book!

13) Don't forget your toothbrush
smily_headphones1.gif

There is probably more things I can't think of right now because it's 2 AM. But I'll check back in soon and give a few more pointers. Let me know if this helps..

Apr 26, 2008 at 10:19 AM Post #13 of 31
i think mr_baseball_08 got it all covered there. i have never really done "real" camping, always went to camp sites where they had showers/toilets/water etc, so it was easier for me. but if you follow those instructions, and other you may find online, i cant see how you wont have a good time.
Also i must say that hiking equipment is an investment. if you are only going to do it once, loan some equip out. if it is regular, then get high quality from the start.

Apr 26, 2008 at 1:18 PM Post #14 of 31
Mrbaseball: Wow, those tips covered some stuff I never would have thought about, excellent suggestions.

BTW, I'll be doing a straight five mile hike to practice, hopefully walk that in much less than a day (the terrain is mild and is along a well used path), and move up to longer distances from there to condition. Next year I'm planning on doing the Pennsylvania section of the Appalachian trail, which is 229 miles from state line to state line. I'll probably just be doing 220 and stopping back at Caledonia State Park (which is like a mile from my house).

Oh, and gautam, I have some of the basic supplies (hiking boots, walking stick, etc), but my brother is in his school's ROTC (Reserve Officer's Training Corp, for those who don't know) and has been issued some other supplies he'll hopefully let me use (mess kit, canteen, poncho, etc). I hope thats not against army rules...
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 26, 2008 at 4:21 PM Post #15 of 31
Get thee to an EMS store, or an outdoor specialty store that has a major backpacking section. You're likely to find someone working there with significant backpacking experience ... and if you're lucky, someone who has already hiked the AT. In fact, they can probably put you in touch with someone who has walked the trail.

It all starts with the feet and you will need a good pair of hiking boots that can withstand the additional weight and rocky terrain, which the AT is known for. Not for lightweight day hiking shoes or boots.

You need to build your confidence and experience, then you'll discover what is comfortable for you. However, you'll find it expedient to spend many nights in the AT trail shelters for protection from nosy bears. Distance will vary between shelters, but 8 miles is pretty common. Save the weight of a tent this way as well.

It's like head.fi, a newbie has alot of questions that can only really be answered once they become involved. Get out and walk a trail today...hiking trail, nature trail or whatever you can find. Make sure this is what you really want to do before investing in equipment. And just like here, you can do the AT on a budget or spend a fortune for the very lightest gear available.

Enjoy
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back