Highly Regarded Balanced SS/Hybrid AMP under $1000
Sep 14, 2019 at 11:19 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

AltCtrl

100+ Head-Fier
My current amp(Matrix m-stage hpa-3b) is getting distortion in the right channel so I need to replace it.

I use the Sennheiser HD6XX with a balanced cable and the Beyerdynamic DT1990 headphones the most. My DAC is a Chord 2Qute.

What's a good AMP under $1000 that would be a worthy upgrade? I was looking at the Monolith Liquid Platinum Headphone AMP.. do you ever have to replace the tubes in a hybrid AMP like this? What are some good solid state amps that pairs well with those headphones?

Sep 14, 2019 at 1:05 PM Post #2 of 7
I haven’t heard the 6xx’s from the Platinum but don’t like them with my Cavalli Liquid Carbon much but do like them with my Cavalli Tube Hybrid and the best is out of a Bottlehead Crack but not so good with the 1990’s I suspect. As for tubes the one in my CTH did go out in under a year but was only $17 to replace so don’t know how common it is .

Sep 14, 2019 at 2:57 PM Post #3 of 7
My current amp(Matrix m-stage hpa-3b) is getting distortion in the right channel so I need to replace it.

I use the Sennheiser HD6XX with a balanced cable and the Beyerdynamic DT1990 headphones the most. My DAC is a Chord 2Qute.

What's a good AMP under $1000 that would be a worthy upgrade? I was looking at the Monolith Liquid Platinum Headphone AMP.. do you ever have to replace the tubes in a hybrid AMP like this? What are some good solid state amps that pairs well with those headphones?

Are you selling the matrix?

Sep 23, 2019 at 10:39 PM Post #4 of 7
I fixed my Matrix m-stage hpa-3b by putting some new sparkos labs opamps in it and it sounds great. Still burning them in but so far sounds phenomenal.

I think I'm going to wait for the Monolith by Monoprice THX AAA 887 after all the Massdrop 789 hype. I think that price point is the sweet spot for amps currently.

Sep 30, 2019 at 3:57 AM Post #5 of 7
I'm a bit new to the headphone scene but thought I'd chime in at least on the Liquid Platinum - via HD800S at least, I think it sounds great. As a point of reference I found the MCTH enjoyable and very listenable, but the LP is significantly more layered, more transparent and revealing of critical midrange, low level details, and sense of space.

Oct 4, 2019 at 8:52 AM Post #6 of 7
meh, it seems to me the 600s don't pair well with hybrids. I would go OTL and you have tons of choices.

If you want to go solid state the Meier Corda Jazz people here recommended to me is also a very nice pairing. But I still feel the 600s work best with OTL amps.

Oct 4, 2019 at 8:47 PM Post #7 of 7
I have a good OTL amp(Feliks Elise) for the 600's.. I honestly use the Beyerdynamic DT1990 the most. I might grab the Monolith by Monoprice THX AAA 887 when it releases.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back