1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Highly portable headphones

Discussion in 'Headphones (full-size)' started by saoshyant, Mar 19, 2013.
  1. Saoshyant
    Hi all.  As this forum is slowly draining my expendable funds, I'm growing curious about highly portable headphones, and when I mean portable, I mean on the level of the KSC75 and PX200-II.  Disregarding IEMs and similar, what might be an upgrade beyond the two listed headphones?  Any help/advice/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.  I'd hand out cookies, but they don't ship very well.

2. McPatD
    The Beyer DT235 is excellent and inexpensive. My current fav portable. I did have to mold the plastic headband to my big head by dunking it in a pot of boiling water but now they are beyond comfy. Not as drastic as it sounds.

3. korewest
    I personally like the AKG K840L, which is also my profile pic,
    but they have been discontinued.

Have you looked into Forum>Equipment>Portable headphones yet? they may have better response there

4. Saoshyant
    I figured I'd start here, due to the avoidance of the IEM route.

5. korewest
    I see, that's perfectly fine. I see a lot of portables mentioned in this section.
    Maybe list your music preference and budget as well

6. RoMee Contributor
    The JVC S400/S500 folds up pretty small and sounds great.
    DSC01022.jpg

7. Aerial Wave
    Been reading a lot of good things about the JVC mentioned above ^

8. Saoshyant
    Musically, I mostly listen to alt/rock, with a little EDM, classical and musical mixed in.  As far as a budget, I think 150 or under will be fine, but mainly just getting ideas to see if anything catches my interest enough.

Btw, does anyone have any experience with the ATH-EW9?

9. Saoshyant
    Any other suggestions?  I'm mainly looking for something similarly small to the PX200 that can outperform it, assuming anything roughly that size will.

10. lukEM22
    I say look into those JVC's. I haven't heard of anyone who didn't like them yet, one guy says he prefers them over HD800's (>$1000)
    Although thats more based on his music preference, by no means are they as detailed or analytical.

11. Saoshyant
    Hmm, carbon nanotube on the s400?  if so I very well might be sold, if not, I'm still probably sold

12. Saoshyant
    Well, decided to give the s400 a try.  My normal headphones are just too bulky for me to want to drag around with me on a regular basis, and while I have a couple nice IEMs, comfort can certainly be an issue.