Highest frequency you can hear?
Jun 3, 2011 at 2:14 AM Post #91 of 135
I can hear 17 kHz on my black Macbook with a Sennheiser IE7. Sine frequency generated with a tool called "Perfect Tone". 
46 years.

We have a pretty nice gaussian distribution with a peak at 17kHz and asymmetry above 19kHz. This looks like a believable result to me.

Jun 3, 2011 at 3:00 AM Post #92 of 135
I'm 24 and can barely hear 12 kHz, and I have had (pretty mild) tinnitus for a couple of years.  Sad huh.  Well, it's still enough to hear the 3rd harmonic of even piccolos near the top of the range, so I'm not so concerned yet.

I remember having my ears tested when I was around six years old, and I had trouble with high frequencies back then, though I don't think it was down to that level yet.  My normal listening volume is low enough that with open headphones, people ten feet away can't hear that there is music on.  Therefore, I'd like to blame my stint in a marching band percussion section as well as many years of playing in musical groups, sitting next to instruments such as flutes, piccolos, and in front of trumpets...

On the other hand, I have good pitch memory, absolute pitch, and I hear a lot of things in music that others don't.  All I know is that on the few tracks I can blind A/B/X distinguish say LAME -V1 mp3 from CD audio, it's not the encoder high pass filter that matters for me. 
wink_face.gif

Jun 4, 2011 at 2:33 AM Post #93 of 135

Quote:
Its just tinnitis. I have it too. The high frequencies probably agitated it

Thecoolguy, do you have any hint about a connection between listening to high frequencies and development of tinnitus?

I have the impression, a sound remained in my ears since I listened to Grado RS1s. I had them for a while and even after half an hour at low volumes my ears were ringing (one reason why I got rid of them). There are remains of this ringing until today.
On the other hand, the sound of the ringing is kind of familiar to me. Since I was a boy I know this, although I did not notice it for at least 35 years. There is a chance I only rediscovered it because I also started to use ear plugs.

Jun 4, 2011 at 3:25 AM Post #95 of 135
34 Years old...

16k is perfectly audible, but I can't hear anything above that.

Jun 4, 2011 at 5:53 AM Post #96 of 135
Looking at the poll results is quite interesting - there's a beautiful skewed bell curve appearing with the peak at around 17-18kHz. Then, there's a huge bar of anomalous results at 20kHz+. If it's correct (and I suspect it's not), it seems to be a highly surprising result.

I voted for 18kHz, but it's somewhere between 17-18. Twenty-four years old, been to a few clubs in my university days, which I'm sure did me no good.

edit: does hearing loss start from the high end in the first place? People in this thread (including me) seem to be assuming this, but do we know for sure that the high end is the first to go from loud noise induced damage?

I also very much like the idea of doing an ABX vs a silent track - sounds like an effective and easy method to me.

Jun 4, 2011 at 7:21 AM Post #97 of 135

Quote:
Then, there's a huge bar of anomalous results at 20kHz+. If it's correct (and I suspect it's not), it seems to be a highly surprising result.

I wouldn't believe it either. For one, it looks asymmetric because of the accumulation of 20+. But the raw numbers of 20 and 20+ also overshoot the ones at 16 and below.
I expect this is a psychological effect: a little cheat to look better. Physiologically,  20 kHz (and even more) for persons over 6years is less likely than this poll suggests.
There may be also the effect that some vote for the first frequency they can't hear anymore, and others vote for the last they can register.

It is a good result to see that even headphone listeners average at 17kHz.

Jun 4, 2011 at 6:08 PM Post #99 of 135
I'm guessing that a lot of gear also can't really generate anything 20+kHz and simply produces noise which winds up being audible.

Jun 4, 2011 at 11:36 PM Post #100 of 135
I can hear 16k, I know when the 17k clip is done, but can't hear the actual tone.
http://www.noiseaddicts.com/2009/03/can-you-hear-this-hearing-test/

I also don't know how much my laptop is limiting the tones, b/c when I hear much higher than I use my sig gen.

Jun 5, 2011 at 12:18 AM Post #102 of 135

Quote:
I wouldn't believe it either. For one, it looks asymmetric because of the accumulation of 20+. But the raw numbers of 20 and 20+ also overshoot the ones at 16 and below.
I expect this is a psychological effect: a little cheat to look better. Physiologically,  20 kHz (and even more) for persons over 6years is less likely than this poll suggests.
There may be also the effect that some vote for the first frequency they can't hear anymore, and others vote for the last they can register.

It is a good result to see that even headphone listeners average at 17kHz.

Yeah.  In reality(not the internet) the odds of anyone over the age of about 14 hearing 19k+ is very very low. 

Jun 5, 2011 at 12:46 AM Post #103 of 135

Quote:

Yeah.  In reality(not the internet) the odds of anyone over the age of about 14 hearing 19k+ is very very low. 

They say women keeps their hearing intact longer than mens'. My girlfriends says I have a girl's music tastes. Ionno.

Jun 5, 2011 at 1:13 AM Post #104 of 135
I can hear 22khz, but I can hardly hear 20 khz

Some people call me crazy that I can here the Tv screeching and electronics screeching.

I CAN HERE THE ELECTRICITY IN THE WALLS!!! if I placed my ear up to the exact spot a hot cable is running

Jun 5, 2011 at 1:26 AM Post #105 of 135
I can clearly hear 19KHz and can hear 20KHs as well but its not as loud. I don't hear anything higher though. Interesting results though. I am also super sensitive to tv framerates I know some won't belive this but I can see the scan lines actually scanning a CRT monitor up to 90Hz. I had my friend take 5 computers side by side and set a different refresh rate on each one and I successfully picked the order out from highest to slowest frame rate with a 100% accuracy apparently most people can't tell above 30Hz. I can't watch theaters at all since they are at 24fps they give me instint headaches and I actually see the individual frames easily and distinguished so it looks like a fast slideshow.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back