Highest frequency you can hear?
Jun 2, 2011 at 4:52 PM Post #76 of 135
Can make out 19kHz at sane volumes. I don't think that's too bad for someone in his mid 30s. I'm paranoid about losing my hearing, so I'm pretty good about using earplugs when at shows/sporting events/using power tools. 

Jun 2, 2011 at 4:56 PM Post #77 of 135
sure are a lot of people who can hear above 20k.
i didn't know head-fi was so popular with the todlers.

Jun 2, 2011 at 5:49 PM Post #78 of 135
i can hear up to 18khz and i am only 18. i better turn down the music. which i already did. i learned from this forums and don't listen very loud anymore. apparently 18 isn't bad. most people my age only make it that far. but then again most people my age listen to music extremely loud.

edit: i took this test and made it to 20khz. apparently i have pretty good hearing.

Jun 2, 2011 at 9:32 PM Post #79 of 135

Quote:
sure are a lot of people who can hear above 20k.
i didn't know head-fi was so popular with the todlers.

Pretty non-scientific tests. I'm sure some of those people that voted raised the volume but also the age of the members here have been decreasing. I can barely hear 21k. I was able to hear 20k fine with the guy talking at a low volume.

Jun 2, 2011 at 10:22 PM Post #80 of 135
Just found something weird..
When I was testing this with my desktop setup (xonar d2x>[crystal piccolo ic]>lehmann bcl>sony z1000), I can only hear up to 18k clearly on normal listening volume (too lazy to crank up volume man..). But just now I was too boring and try it on office crappy pc with crappy ac97 onboard (with sony zx700), and was able to go through all the way to 22k clearly... huh..==

Jun 2, 2011 at 10:41 PM Post #81 of 135

Quote:
Just found something weird..
When I was testing this with my desktop setup (xonar d2x>[crystal piccolo ic]>lehmann bcl>sony z1000), I can only hear up to 18k clearly on normal listening volume (too lazy to crank up volume man..). But just now I was too boring and try it on office crappy pc with crappy ac97 onboard (with sony zx700), and was able to go through all the way to 22k clearly... huh..==

Wow, try to locate which piece of equipment is causing the roll off.

Jun 2, 2011 at 11:09 PM Post #82 of 135
I got to 17k on one of the first tests, but only 14k on the one with the person talking. Still better than I thought. Although I hear fine in normal circumstances during the day, I'm a combat vet with ringing in the ears. I wonder if I tend to like the brighter headphones because they emphasize the higher notes?

Jun 2, 2011 at 11:19 PM Post #83 of 135
Weirdly I can hear up to 19k on the posted test, but there's a dip at 17-18k where I just hear the overtone and not the true pitch. 16k and 19k are fine though. 20k I get nothing.

Jun 2, 2011 at 11:33 PM Post #84 of 135
I just tested my soundcard on right mark and the graph shows it rolls off sharply after ~17kHz or so, so no wonder I didn't hear any further. :p

Jun 3, 2011 at 12:02 AM Post #85 of 135
I didn't vote because I know these tests are not really reliable, and people don't use the same sound source, volume level and equipment. An ABX test with a silent track and without the start and end signaling from the test tone would be a much better idea, but still equipment and volume levels matter more IMHO.

To those who could only hear up to 14 or 15khz, it's mostly due to your headphones. Speakers generally give you a better results on the other hand, from what I have found. Ideally you'd need a "monitor" headphone (not speakers) with a linear (I mean linear, not just neutral) frequency response which is not available in any mainstream markets. Also, many people here are treble heads, which means the treble is accentuated so that's why so many of them can hear pass 18khz. In lab settings, the limit of human hearing is 20khz with many credible sources of scientific journal articles. Don't take this too seriously, is my advice. I'm sure some people would even claim to be able to hear 25khz or 30khz if given the options to pick. Note that I couldn't hear pass 14khz with IEMs (PL-30, M2, etc), but as you can from my signature I can hear higher frequencies with my current set up.

If you are worried about your hearing loss, and can afford it, see an audiologist for a formal test if that would give you some relief.

Jun 3, 2011 at 12:25 AM Post #87 of 135
Mine drops out ~18khz

Quote:
hey i just played those test sounds and I heard upto 17k (40year old) but after playing the higher frequencies I have ringin in my ears that has not gone away

Its just tinnitis. I have it too. The high frequencies probably agitated it.

Jun 3, 2011 at 12:29 AM Post #88 of 135
I can hear upwards of 19khz if I turn it up to normal listening levels (which defeats the whole point of the test....) Using the same method my audiologist uses with the noiseaddicts site as a reference (so turn it down to where you hear 8khz as part of the background noise in the room), mine drops off significantly after 15 and is nothing after 16 without turning it up about 5db. I'm approaching 30 and while I've worn custom plugs at most of the concerts I've seen, I've been to a ton of concerts in that triangulated impact zone and there is only so much that -25db plugs will do... Second, I've had ringing/tinnitus of sorts as long as I can remember, at least age 5 or 6. Real faint, but it's a spike around 13 or 14khz.

A nice PSA: Get your hearing checked periodically, I discovered I have a hole around 1khz in one ear, but while under 5k I can hear extremely well, I lose just a little bit at 1k on one side. Come to find out it was extended exposure to road noise from being on the drivers side in my car which has a resonance due to the cloth top.

edit: clarification.

Jun 3, 2011 at 12:58 AM Post #89 of 135
^^^ 8k as background noise.. not sure about the level but I think I'll fail miserably orz

Quote:

Wow, try to locate which piece of equipment is causing the roll off.

Maybe something in software chain (flash, windows mixer, driver..hmm) or the soundcard I think, and there is also the possibility that its just something wrong with the old crappy office pc == ..maybe will try something if I'm on the mood after reaching home
ok I think its the lower SNR and background noise of the old ac97 onboard makes it easier to pick up.. after heard them once thus having concept about how the tune sounds, now I can pick up the sound from silence background on my setup too, at least up to 21k (22k..hmm  ==a

off topic: just noticed that your avatar is noodles and mine one is girl eating noodles ==+

Jun 3, 2011 at 2:09 AM Post #90 of 135
No one suggested a standard test se we can compare, so I propose this one :

http://www.noiseaddicts.com/2009/03/can-you-hear-this-hearing-test/

At normal volume, I get to 18kHz, but after that I realy have to crank it up. I need almost max-volume at 21kHZ on my Xonar Essenceto hear something, but can't hear a thing at 22kHz.

i heard up to 22khz fine on that test and i don't listen at loud volumes at all really. mostly just moderate to quiet levels since my headphone listening is mostly early in the morning or late at night.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back