High temp BBQ grill spray paint on a heatsink?
May 25, 2005 at 8:11 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

SilverCans

100+ Head-Fier
Is it ok to spray my heat sinks with BBQ grill spray paint? Will it reduce the thermal effectiveness of the heat sink? I sort scratched them up when drilling holes in them and would like to repaint all surfaces except where the transistors mount.

May 25, 2005 at 12:30 PM Post #2 of 9
You can tough up heat sink scratches with a black felt tip pen.Not the fine point whimpy but the fat honkers for marking BIG things
wink.gif

May 25, 2005 at 12:52 PM Post #3 of 9
Probably, yes. Paint is much less thermally conductive than aluminum or copper, and having that between the heatsink and the air could be an issue. Why bother?

May 25, 2005 at 5:37 PM Post #4 of 9
It would reduce cooling effectiveness.

What I might try is thoroughly cleaning the scratched area, then putting a full-strength bleach - soaked cloth on the areas to hold a puddle of bleach over the scratched area for awhile to grow an oxide layer on it (but not TOO long) then that more-porous oxidized layer will better absorb black dye or black marker.

If you go with a marker for color you might consider a laquer-based marker like a Sharpie "Industrial" type, available at some office superstores, maybe Staples or Office Depot, Officemax, etc, in the US.

May 25, 2005 at 11:52 PM Post #5 of 9
If you have some spare $$$ in your pillow you could always go out and get them anodized black
biggrin.gif

May 26, 2005 at 1:11 AM Post #7 of 9
The best touch up is flat black paint, put it in the scratch with a toothpick and lightly wipe off the excess after a minute. You'll get it right after a few tries. Just wipe it all off completely and start over if it doesn't look right after the first try.

May 26, 2005 at 1:38 AM Post #8 of 9
What is the heatsink coated with? If it's anodized, don't paint the whole thing since the paint won't stick well. I'd prefer a scratch touched up with either sharpie or paint over anodizing showing through flaking paint.

Regards,
Bryan

May 26, 2005 at 2:21 AM Post #9 of 9
You have a few feasible options:

1. Re-anodize it yourself. Actually not that hard, do some Googling, but be careful. Toxic chemicals and high currents are involved if I recall correctly. Dying is done with RIT fabric dye usually.

2. Use a felt tipped pen to fill in the scratches. Pull it back a few feet and you'll barely see them.

3. Leave it how it is. Unless you have a window in your device (amp?) no one's going to see it, and anodizing just makes a protective layer of aluminum oxide over the surface via corrosion. It won't corrode through if you don't anodize it. It's mainly for aesthetics, especially in such low end applications.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back