High School Student with $50 budget
Nov 6, 2008 at 12:52 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

soyandrice

New Head-Fier
Hi, I'm new here and found this website at school while browsing for some good headphones.

Anyways, I'm look for some good headphones. Then I was thinking about making a small portable amp into the headphone strap. I wanted to make some sort of "jackhammer" headphones so I can listen to it in the gym (cuz I have no pockets).

But at $50, will an amp really improve the headphones much? I'm at a budget, but after having some UE super.fi studio 5 (some red ones I bought from radio shack for $50), every other earbuds/headphones students have sound like s***.

I haven't done anything with amps or electronics for that matter, but seeing this forum interested me.

Can anyone give me info on headphones?

Nov 6, 2008 at 10:23 PM Post #4 of 8
and if they are from radioshack, they are super.fi 3

Nov 6, 2008 at 11:06 PM Post #5 of 8
I thought that high performance mini^3 w/ low gain sounded pretty damn good with the super fi 3s .

There are lot of sites that can help you build a mini^3, just do a lot of searching. It'll cost you more than 50 dollars though (but no less than 100)

Nov 7, 2008 at 2:11 AM Post #6 of 8
Save until you have like $15,000 and then come back here and start a thread intitled "Help this High School Graduate spend $15,000".

I'm just kidding of course
biggrin.gif
atsmile.gif

Nov 7, 2008 at 7:33 PM Post #7 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by soyandrice /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I haven't done anything with amps or electronics for that matter, but seeing this forum interested me.

It's tough to get started DIY'ing electronics on your budget, really. You'll have to buy a soldering iron, solder, components and some kind of casing...the true cost of DIY includes tools, shipping/handling and your time, not just the bare component cost.

At the minimum, that is a cheapo $15 iron, $5 solder, an Altoids case ($3) and...$20 for components. Considering that shipping will hit you for $10+ on the components, you will blow your budget on tools and $10 worth of components before you ever get a set of headphones. I'd highly recommend buying a pair of Koss KSC-35's or KSC-75's, which are great. Then save until you can afford a decent soldering station and components to build something worthwhile!

Nov 7, 2008 at 8:26 PM Post #8 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by digger945 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Save until you have like $15,000 and then come back here and start a thread intitled "Help this High School Graduate spend $15,000".

I'm just kidding of course
biggrin.gif
atsmile.gif

Or get some off shore accounts, and some craft traders and come back... "Help This Grad Student Spend $150,000!"

tongue.gif
tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back