high quality resistors
Jan 6, 2003 at 7:07 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 25

Audio-Me

Headphoneus Supremus
which resistors offer the highest possible resolution for non signal-path use in a preamp?
I've seen Vishay S102 mentioned a bunch of times on audioasylum.

Jan 6, 2003 at 8:01 PM Post #3 of 25
What resolution, if not in the signal path?

I think I'm missing something here. (<noobie)

Jan 6, 2003 at 9:43 PM Post #4 of 25
Try Parts Connexion in Ontario, Canada. They carry some of the best available resistors for DIY: Riken, Vishay, Caddock, Audio Note Tantalums, Mills, Holco, etc.!

I happen to like Riken resistors for both their warmth and accuracy! These resistors use carbon film. However, they are not carbon composition like Allen Bradley resistors.

http://www.partsconnexion.com

PC ships parts right away--fast! That's something I appreciate!

Jan 7, 2003 at 1:41 AM Post #5 of 25
I'll be using Audio Note tantalums in the signal path, however, I'd like to use a less expensive resistor for the rest of the preamp without sacrificing quality. Does anyone have any experience and comparisons with the Vishay S102? I'd like to use holcos, but only one of the values is available for the old stock, I've no interest in their new resistors.

Resistas perhaps? carlo tells me they're linear (good thing) but magnetic, what the hell does that mean? He also told me Caddocks can sound analytical at times, well what about for use in non signal areas?

I'm actually getting my eta42 upgraded to tant and Riken Ohm resistors.

Voodoochile - well I figure the better the resistor, the less it can compromise the sound...

Jan 7, 2003 at 1:55 AM Post #6 of 25
Tantalums in the signal path? Most people don't recommend tantalums for this use. They're expensive, but they're not rumored to sound good. (The expense comes from the way tantalum is mined, not from the quality of the manufacture.)

Jan 7, 2003 at 1:56 AM Post #7 of 25
Quote:

Originally posted by Audio&Me
Resistas perhaps? carlo tells me they're linear (good thing) but magnetic, what the hell does that mean?

It means ferrous material was used in the construction of the Resistas. It's like passing the signal thru a magnetic field. Not a good thing. IMO.

Jan 7, 2003 at 2:41 AM Post #8 of 25
Aren't the Caddock MK resistors now being manufactured with magnetic leads and this is why Welborne Labs is no longer carrying them? I wonder if Percy's stock is the new or old variety..

Jan 7, 2003 at 2:46 AM Post #10 of 25
A&M,

The resistor comparisons I told you are with them IN THE SIGNAL PATH, if you use exotic resistors outside of the signal path you're wasting a lot of money.

Use Vishay/Dale RN55, they're tight tolerance, non magnetic, cheap and easily available.

Wodgy,

The Tants A&M speaks of are the AudioNote Tantalum resistors, specifically for audio signal path use. There's a short note of my impressions with them in the Melos Mods post in this forum, fwiw.

carlo.

Jan 7, 2003 at 2:53 AM Post #11 of 25
Quote:

Tantalums in the signal path? Most people don't recommend tantalums for this use. They're expensive, but they're not rumored to sound good. (The expense comes from the way tantalum is mined, not from the quality of the manufacture.)

I believe that you're thinking of tantalum capacitors which do sound bad but tantalum resistors are generally considered to be some of the best as far as sound quality is concerned.

Quote:

Resistas perhaps? carlo tells me they're linear (good thing) but magnetic, what the hell does that mean? He also told me Caddocks can sound analytical at times, well what about for use in non signal areas?

Usually when resistors are called magnetic it refers to either the endcaps or the leads of the resistors. Magnetic components can muddy the sound and you lose clarity and definition. The normal RNxx from Vishay are surprisingly good sounding for their cost and they contain no magnetic components. Mouser now sells some of the Caddock resistors. Also the newer Holcos are manufactured with magnetic endcaps. Wirewound resistors are also quite good as long as you make sure to get non inductive varieties such as those made by Mills. Vishay S102 are THE best but you pay a very high price for it. About 2/3 are priced at $11.50 EACH while the remaining third is priced from $12.50 to $32.50

Whit

Jan 7, 2003 at 3:17 AM Post #12 of 25
carlo - so you recommend against using Riken Ohm resistors ($2.50 a pop) outside the signal path for the eta42 since it might not make a difference at all? (as well as for the preamp I have in mind of course)

Jan 7, 2003 at 4:54 AM Post #13 of 25
A&M,

Personally I don't think its worth going with Tantalums in your eta42 since, as far as I know, no one has compared resistors on incarnations of that amp. A wiser choice would be to try another low priced resistor (such as a Roederstein/Resista) and seeing if you can hear a difference. If you do then explore more expensive models.

No, I don't think you should use Riken Ohms and, since I'm pretty sure you're talking about the 2 watters, they're huge and might not fit on that board. I've used them going to tube plates and compared with a Mashuita (sp) but hell if I heard a big difference. I believe in matching good resistors outside of the signal path, I just haven't experienced differences between resistors there.

Whether it'd make a difference in your amp I can't say, I haven't tried it.

carlo.

Jan 7, 2003 at 5:12 AM Post #14 of 25
Quote:

Aren't the Caddock MK resistors now being manufactured with magnetic leads and this is why Welborne Labs is no longer carrying them?
- antness

Sorry, missed this post before.

The Caddock MK132 is non magnetic, or at least the ones I have are. I think you're thinking of Holcos, which are now made with magnetic endcaps and most think they sound nowhere near as good as they used to. Welborne had the old style Holcos (non magnetic) at very reasonable prices (about .50 ea) but after running out of stock went to Vishay/Dale rn55/60/65. The old Holcos are good, my second favorite to the Tants.

carlo.

edited since I mistyped "Percy" when I was thinking/meant "Welborne" the first time around (and for profanity clean up).

Jan 7, 2003 at 5:15 AM Post #15 of 25
You've heard my amp silly, just not with different resistors. I know you've recommended against going with tants, but I'm bound to do it. there are only 10 in the eta42, 8 of which I'll use tants for, the other 2 which set the input impedence I'll have to use vishays since the tants weren't avail for those values. Wish me luck, I'm going crazy with this amp, I'm contemplating gilmore or welbourne psu at the moment.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back