High Quality Headphones for Vocals
Feb 2, 2015 at 12:01 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

glhouse

New Head-Fier
Hello everyone! 

I haven't owned an amazing set of headphones since the 80's, and I am having a hard time figuring out what to buy.  I have spent many hours reading reviews, forums, etc. and need some help with this. 

The easiest way for me to let you know what I am looking for is to list the music I listen to, and what I don't, as well as some traits of mine.

FIrst, I have really sensitive ears and any kind of loud bass gives me a headache and makes listening a chore, at least the kind common to rock and modern pop/hip hop/rap music.  I have always preferred great vocalists, including pop/easy listening, opera, and classical music (obviously not a vocal music).

When it comes to any kind of popular music throughout the decades, my favorite singers are (in no specific order):  Nat "King" Cole, Ella Fitzgerald, Karen Carpenter, Johnny Mathis, Nancy Wilson, Andy Williams, Peggy Lee, Tony Bennett, Dinah Washington, Barbra Streisand, Simon and Garfunkel, Sarah Vaughn, Pat Benatar & Annie Lennox (those are my max bass songs and I drop the bass down low), Bing Crosby, Bobby Darin - you get the picture.

I do not listen to anything less than CD full quality (FLAC. ALAC, etc.) transferred files, not the crap you can buy through iTunes (256K) unless absolutely necessary, and have a growing collection of SACD (5.1 surround sound) files.

I am expecting to spend $300 - $700 or so to get a good pair, and since I listen to music most at my desk (I have a newer iMac with tons of RAM and storage), so I expect to get an Amp to use at the computer.  Any help with where to buy at good discounts would be great, and would allow me to spend the same and get a better set.

My other preferences: 

Closed rather than open style so that other people can watch TV with minimal bleed
Noise reducing only if that doesn't negatively affect the sound quality
Replaceable cord
I have a large head, so comfortable size and overall comfort while wearing so that they can be listened to for a long time at once

Hopefully that info is enough to help me out.  I really appreciate any help you can give me.

Thanks,
G

Feb 2, 2015 at 12:20 AM Post #2 of 14
  Hello everyone! 

I haven't owned an amazing set of headphones since the 80's, and I am having a hard time figuring out what to buy.  I have spent many hours reading reviews, forums, etc. and need some help with this. 

The easiest way for me to let you know what I am looking for is to list the music I listen to, and what I don't, as well as some traits of mine.

FIrst, I have really sensitive ears and any kind of loud bass gives me a headache and makes listening a chore, at least the kind common to rock and modern pop/hip hop/rap music.  I have always preferred great vocalists, including pop/easy listening, opera, and classical music (obviously not a vocal music).

When it comes to any kind of popular music throughout the decades, my favorite singers are (in no specific order):  Nat "King" Cole, Ella Fitzgerald, Karen Carpenter, Johnny Mathis, Nancy Wilson, Andy Williams, Peggy Lee, Tony Bennett, Dinah Washington, Barbra Streisand, Simon and Garfunkel, Sarah Vaughn, Pat Benatar & Annie Lennox (those are my max bass songs and I drop the bass down low), Bing Crosby, Bobby Darin - you get the picture.

I do not listen to anything less than CD full quality (FLAC. ALAC, etc.) transferred files, not the crap you can buy through iTunes (256K) unless absolutely necessary, and have a growing collection of SACD (5.1 surround sound) files.

I am expecting to spend $300 - $700 or so to get a good pair, and since I listen to music most at my desk (I have a newer iMac with tons of RAM and storage), so I expect to get an Amp to use at the computer.  Any help with where to buy at good discounts would be great, and would allow me to spend the same and get a better set.

My other preferences: 

Closed rather than open style so that other people can watch TV with minimal bleed
Noise reducing only if that doesn't negatively affect the sound quality
Replaceable cord
I have a large head, so comfortable size and overall comfort while wearing so that they can be listened to for a long time at once

Hopefully that info is enough to help me out.  I really appreciate any help you can give me.

Thanks,
G

This sounds like a situation where the judicious use of an equalizer would be valuable. I would find a set of cans with a flat frequency response across the audio spectrum and use the EQ to tailor the vocals to my liking. Unfortunately I'm an open style man so I have no recommendations for a closed back pair.

Feb 2, 2015 at 12:53 AM Post #3 of 14
Rick, thanks for your advice!  I will look into that info so that I can understand it enough to use it in selecting a pair.

I did forget to mention I prefer over-ear.

Feb 2, 2015 at 12:56 AM Post #4 of 14
Check out the higher end sonys. They have great vocal reproduction, but be warned, they arent completely flat. There is a very slight emphasis, but no where near enough to give you a head ache (i have the same issue with bass, but these were great)

Feb 2, 2015 at 1:36 AM Post #5 of 14
Do to your audio sensitivities and sizing issues, I strongly recommend that you personally audition any can before you buy--or at a minimum make sure that your vendor has a liberal return policy.

Start with the Buying Guide:

http://www.head-fi.org/a/headphone-buying-guide

For deals regularly check the Deals Discussion thread.

Feb 2, 2015 at 5:03 AM Post #6 of 14
Thanks KG Jag.  I am in the process of reading all of the information in the buying guide.

Can anyone tell me how to figure out which headphones have flat frequency response across the audio spectrum? 

Thanks,
G

Feb 2, 2015 at 5:14 AM Post #7 of 14
  Thanks KG Jag.  I am in the process of reading all of the information in the buying guide.

Can anyone tell me how to figure out which headphones have flat frequency response across the audio spectrum? 

Thanks,
G

On the Guide look for:

"(N)" Indicates that the headphone is overall balanced or neutral in sound.

Feb 2, 2015 at 7:19 AM Post #8 of 14
I have read a great deal about the Sennheiser HD600's, and the HD800's, although the 800's are above what I would like to spend, if they were as amazing as people say and were perfect for the kind of music I listen to, I would probably buy them.  What are your opinions?

Thanks again,
G

Feb 2, 2015 at 9:25 AM Post #9 of 14
Quote:

Quote:
  I have read a great deal about the Sennheiser HD600's, and the HD800's, although the 800's are above what I would like to spend, if they were as amazing as people say and were perfect for the kind of music I listen to, I would probably buy them.  What are your opinions?

People watching TV near you would hate you for giving them maximum bleed of what you're listening to.

Feb 2, 2015 at 9:31 AM Post #10 of 14

Thanks again,
G

Check out the video review on YouTube by HiFi Heaven of the HD 800s. Keep in mind they are not closed back headphones. But, I have a feeling you may not listen to your music very loud, so they might work for you.

The HD 600s and 650s also have a big following. I own the 650s myself, as well as the HD 598s.

Feb 2, 2015 at 1:55 PM Post #12 of 14

Thanks again,
G

Both of these cans are open.

To meet your stated needs, you should focus on closed cans.

Feb 2, 2015 at 2:38 PM Post #13 of 14
Shure 940 - closed, great female vocals, very fast, accurate and detailed, though they`re quite bass shy compared to most headphones (basslight but in fact really accurate in my opinion). They`re definately on the bright side.
Shure 840 - closed, good detail, speed, a bit confined soundstage, a lot of bass but well controled one, nice relaxing yet detailed sound that`s easy to listen to, has it`s weight, a bit veiled though.
AKG 550 - closed ones with insanely wide soundstage, fantastic clarity and good detail, black background - rarely found in cosed cans, vocals seem a bit strange sometimes, a bit more bass than 940 with great precision and punch, but much less than Shure 840 (at lest to my ears). Sounds thin when compared to 840s, sound doesn`t feel as full as with 840s but when bass needs to hit it can hit like JDAM.

It`s all a matter of personal preference.

AKG 550 are built for big heads:wink: and to last, Shure`s will be ok but just ok, 840s are built well, 940s tend to brake if mistreated.

Feb 4, 2015 at 8:50 AM Post #14 of 14
I think HD600 has by far the best vocals of all headphones I have ever tried

Users who are viewing this thread

Back