High quality FM Transmitter?
Feb 28, 2006 at 6:05 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

Deuterium

100+ Head-Fier
I've searched the archives, but I didn't find the information I wanted. I wish to play my iPODs (3G and 5G) in the car. I can't access my car audio system with a line-in jack. I had bought an iTrip, however, I find that it doesn't work well enough in my car. To achieve a volume sufficient to overcome road noise, I have to turn the iPOD volume all the way up and the car's audio system up to about 90% of max. This causes a great deal of distortion and general loss of sound integrity. I assume this is because of the lack of signal strength coming from the iTrip. I know that there are quite a few FM transmitters available now, do any of them have greater signal strength than the iTrip? Does there sound rival an over the air FM signal?

P.S. I have also used the Monster cassette as an input. This certainly gives me higher quality sound than the iTrip, but my car cassette deck, keeps ejecting it.

Feb 28, 2006 at 7:15 PM Post #2 of 15
I've had four different FM dohickeys for my iPod. The best sounding by far is the PodFreq. It costs a lot more, but it sounds a lot better.

Also... a little known tip... If your car has an extendable antenna, put it all the way down. The problem isn't that FM transmitters aren't powerful enough, it's that other broadcasters compete with them. If you lower your antenna, the transmitter will come through easier.

Also, some types of window tinting block the FM signal. If you have that kind, you are SOL.

See ya
Steve

Feb 28, 2006 at 9:55 PM Post #3 of 15
Thanks for your reply. I may be SOL. I have a powered attenna that is up when ever the radio is on and the car comes with tinted windows. I will try the PodFreq if I can return it if it doesn't do the trick. Thanks again.

Feb 28, 2006 at 10:13 PM Post #4 of 15
I have a newertech roadtrip fm transmitter, and it works pretty well. It's probably the simplest fm transmitter out there as all you do is plug it in and tune your radio to 87.9. Plus, it's very cheap at only $15. Despite its cheap price and simplicity, it supposedly works much better than most fm transmitters because of the frequency it uses as I believe there are only three stations in the entire country that broadcast on 87.9. I can tell you from my own experiences that the music comes through very clearly with no static at all, and I do not have to jack up the volume all that much. I wouldn't say that it produces excellent sound because I can tell that it rolls off some highs and lows, but I had an itrip before, and the roadtrip works much better. Check it out at www.newertech.com.

Mar 1, 2006 at 12:28 AM Post #5 of 15
Mar 1, 2006 at 9:44 PM Post #6 of 15
look for C. Crane on google. A real device not a toy. A real price also but well made. There is a hack to increase power beyond legal limits with a potentiometer.

Also look at the belkin Tunecast 2 (only 2). If you add an extension in line between the player and the tunecast, the extension also functions as antenna due to the design of current revision. Shop carefully to get the Tunecast with car adapter, one version does not come with it. AAA batteries power this device so dc power is very cool.

The tunecast 2 works well for me. AAA batteries don't.

Joe

Mar 1, 2006 at 10:02 PM Post #8 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by austonia
hi quality fm transmitter? oxymoron

I have to agree with Austin on this one. I've had several and not one worked well enough to get me to drop my cassettes. IMO, you should stick with that if you want quality. Not the greatest in convenience nor will it impress your tech friends but it's the best thing going right now. JMO.

Mar 1, 2006 at 11:12 PM Post #9 of 15
Try the PodFreq. I thought they were all funky until I got one.

See ya
Steve

May 17, 2006 at 9:02 AM Post #10 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by KenW
I have to agree with Austin on this one. I've had several and not one worked well enough to get me to drop my cassettes. IMO, you should stick with that if you want quality. Not the greatest in convenience nor will it impress your tech friends but it's the best thing going right now. JMO.

I also agree, but when you're in certain situations, it's either listen to the crappy tunes on the radio, or wish that you had an FM transmitter to play your tunes with. In all my cars, I have a line in hanging next to my deck that I installed, but generally, friends, family and rental car companies don't like you diggin up their new dashboards to temporarily install a line in.

I'm also looking for a way better quality (if it does exist) fm transmitter... so far the C. Crane one is looking the best, but if anyone else knows of any rreally good ones, please post! Thanks!

May 17, 2006 at 6:47 PM Post #11 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Deuterium
P.S. I have also used the Monster cassette as an input. This certainly gives me higher quality sound than the iTrip, but my car cassette deck, keeps ejecting it.

I feel your pain. I have a Griffin FM transmitter, but I can't stand the sound quality. I've tried a couple of cassette adapters which sound good, but always malfunction one way or the other: track skipping, self-ejecting, etc.

If they aren't already doing it, I bet we will soon be seeing inputs on high-end car audio systems. Come to think of it, I think many of the DVD players in late model vehicles have RCA inputs that would probably work, using a mini to RCA adapter. My beloved '97 gas-hogging Dodge Ram Quad Cab, sadly, lacks such a device.

May 17, 2006 at 6:51 PM Post #12 of 15
I think this is material that should be nominated for Oxy-Moron of the moment..
tongue.gif

(the term High Quality FM Transmitter that is)

in all seriousness, iRiver makes one that is decent shown here

HTH

May 17, 2006 at 9:21 PM Post #13 of 15
I had the original iTrip, and found it unacceptable. I purchased a podfreq, and this was definitely a step up. Ultimately, I acquired a Kensington FM Transmitter (see link) this was far and away the best of the three I tried in my car. I kept this one.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...lance&n=172282

May 17, 2006 at 9:56 PM Post #14 of 15
Try this little hack I found with the help of Google. I just convinced one of my buddies to do this with his Griffin iTrip and it makes all the difference in the world! The sound comes in much louder, clearer, and with less distortion.

May 18, 2006 at 5:17 AM Post #15 of 15
I can't find the actual stats right now, but the biggest problem with FM is that it attenuates the bandwidth that's transmitted. You don't get the entire 20Hz-20kHz range you get with a Redbook CD, you get substantially less. FM chops the top and bottom off that range, and that's why FM doesn't sound that good.

If at all possible, try to run a line in to your stereo. You'll get much better sound.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back