HIGH LOUDNESS HEADPHONE?
Nov 30, 2008 at 10:00 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 34

drummer1985

100+ Head-Fier
hi all,just of out curiosity if there any headphone existing that can play very loud without distortion and still sounding very best? thank you all in advance.
atsmile.gif

Nov 30, 2008 at 10:09 AM Post #2 of 34
sure. you can surgically remove your eardrums and insert tiny subs and tweeters to vibrate the bones directly. That way, you won't have to worry about damaging your hearing! Also, cochlear implant every 2 month is required for this procedure, but oh well.

How about listening to reasonable volumes while blocking out external sound? many IEMs block out external noise, and you don't have to listen to your music extremely loud to damage your hearing.

Nov 30, 2008 at 10:15 AM Post #3 of 34
how loud do u want? i ve been on front during F1 and man..havent heard such a loud noise.

do u want ear shaking volume?

Nov 30, 2008 at 10:27 AM Post #5 of 34
well.i didn't think i would got this kind of answers.however,i think this way,if a headphone can play higher volume without sounding bad then it got some power to be spare,in case the some songs playing very dynamic tones in all lows,midranges and highs in a sudden of unknown time of the songs being played.i thought in theory that it might has the benefit for those headphones' ability.

Nov 30, 2008 at 10:39 AM Post #6 of 34
Try a Stax SR-007.
If fed properly they can produce insane sound level without distortion. They are are crystal clear to my eears, until the point its physical painful and I have to remove them.

Beware of your hearing though!

Nov 30, 2008 at 10:49 AM Post #8 of 34
That all sounds like you are looking for a new friend called Tinitus. Good luck with him!

DJ'phones or IEM's are always handy to kill your hearing.

Nov 30, 2008 at 11:22 AM Post #9 of 34
thanks guys for the concerning in regard of hearing loss for me.but i think my ears really enjoy powerful sound at a little louder than normal people because i just used to it,as in case if you all didn't know,i have been playing acoustic drumkit for almost 9 years without a single problem to my hearing,maybe i do lost a tiny bit of hearing or already desensitized them? i would never expect that, and hopefully my hearing is still at it decent condition.haha..you can't have everything at once.thanks again buddies!

Nov 30, 2008 at 11:34 AM Post #10 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by drummer1985 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
well.i didn't think i would got this kind of answers.however,i think this way,if a headphone can play higher volume without sounding bad then it got some power to be spare,in case the some songs playing very dynamic tones in all lows,midranges and highs in a sudden of unknown time of the songs being played.i thought in theory that it might has the benefit for those headphones' ability.

In almost all instances the phones are not the limiting factor, but the amp.
The phones have no "power to spare" , the amp does.

Nov 30, 2008 at 11:47 AM Post #11 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kees /img/forum/go_quote.gif
In almost all instances the phones are not the limiting factor, but the amp.
The phones have no "power to spare" , the amp does.

hi kees, i do understand that amps are the important factor when driving phones,
for instance,i have a powerful amp but if the headphone have a limit that is not match to the amp or vise-versa then they will not work great together.i got what you meant by the way, but headphones are like speakers they all have their limit aren't they? i might just have been asked the question like this - what's the highest output level headphones out there ?

Nov 30, 2008 at 12:07 PM Post #13 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by drummer1985 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
hi kees, i do understand that amps is the important factor when driving phones,
for instance,i have a powerful amp but if the headphone have a limit that is not match to the amp or vise-versa than theu will not work great together.i got what you meant by the way, but headphones are like speakers they all have their limit aren't they? i might just have been asked the question like this - what's the highest output level headphones out there ?

The headphones are almost never (as far as I know: never) the limiting factor. Usually they are meant for a max of 1 watt, but that is only one of the deciding factors for the volume. Sensitivity (if specified) is more deciding.
Let me put it this way: there are no headphones in my posession that distort with the right amp, no matter how loud I play them. The only way I can make some of them distort is by plugging them in the wrong amp, for instance low impedance phones in an OTL tube amp that can't deliver the amount of current the phones demand.

Nov 30, 2008 at 12:13 PM Post #14 of 34
Drummer, regarding your listening habits, it's not mine to judge or advise, but noise induced hearing loss is a scientific fact as much as arsenic is a poison for everybody. It's just a matter of dose. Take care, your not noticing hearing loss at this moment doesn't mean you won't get serious damage in future years if you keep listening that loud.

Regarding you phones query, not very sure, maybe into the professional ground something like Beyerdynamic DT-48E were capable of very high SPL with less distortion than others, or probably some Grados for their very high sensitivity and high power handling could sound as loud as you want with less distortion than other phones. However it's very difficult to be sure if the distortion you're experiencing from your current phones is due to the HP limitations or for the amp starting to clip, not knowing impedances, sensitivity, power delivery, current intensity capabilities, etc. it's hard to say. Having a "powerful" amp means very little.

Nov 30, 2008 at 3:07 PM Post #15 of 34
I'm just going to come out and say it: If you're hearing distortion in the first place, you're listening far too loud. Distortion should be an obvious signal that the headpones aren't meant to be that loud.

I can only advise against it strongly, but its up to you to listen to me while you still can. No pun intended.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back